Broken Chrome web Pages in Linux Mint KDE 17.1

I am facing Same issue on my 2 different Laptop. both have Installed Linux Mint 17.1 KDE. Google Chrome shows  broken images on several sites on both PCs.  

post-548646-0-20702200-1431677998.png

Whatever you do don't reinstall your OS for Facebook!

I presume you have tried reinstalling Chrome, clearing cache etc? If it's happening the same on multiple devices then could be an issue with your router or ISP?

From what it looks like, you don't have the right fonts for the Facebook page, thus the width of the text is a little too long and moves to the next line.

Facebook uses fonts in this order: helvetica, arial, 'lucida grande', sans-serif; (you can see this using Chrome's Developer tools). Since your Linux Mint install doesn't have any of the first 3, it is using the a generic sans-serif font, which doesn't fit nicely.

Try to install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package which has Arial inside, and it also installs the common fonts that web pages tend to assume come with the computer. Other pages should also look more similar to Windows/OS X after this. Found this link that explains how to install (since you have to accept some EULA).

Whatever you do don't reinstall your OS for Facebook!

I presume you have tried reinstalling Chrome, clearing cache etc? If it's happening the same on multiple devices then could be an issue with your router or ISP?

I know i just tried to give a reference of famous site but i face same issue in many other sites.  I re-installed many times but in van. I think this can be issue with flash player :( i dont know

From what it looks like, you don't have the right fonts for the Facebook page, thus the width of the text is a little too long and moves to the next line.

Facebook uses fonts in this order: helvetica, arial, 'lucida grande', sans-serif; since your Linux Mint install doesn't have any of the first 3, it is using the a generic sans-serif font, which doesn't fit nicely.

Try to install the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package which has Arial inside.

But it looks fine in Firefox. 

But it looks fine in Firefox.

I've had a few sites that looked odd/badly wrapped in Chrome as well, depending on the font settings. Personally I tend to run at a slightly higher zoom level and I set a minimum font size, sometimes a few sites will get a little mangled. Even Neowin, sometimes the top-right social buttons will be on two lines, but only in Chrome regardless of the OS, Firefox tends to be a bit smarter with that.
  • Like 1

I am a web developer i need to make pixel perfect gui's and i prefer Google Chrome for development but chrome is showing these issue in this Linux Mint 17.1 :( Petra was fine  

I've had a few sites that looked odd/badly wrapped in Chrome as well, depending on the font settings. Personally I tend to run at a slightly higher zoom level and I set a minimum font size, sometimes a few sites will get a little mangled. Even Neowin, sometimes the top-right social buttons will be on two lines, but only in Chrome regardless of the OS, Firefox tends to be a bit smarter with that.

I zoom in zoom out but it remains same.  may be something wrong with flash version 

Not sure what is wrong then...

I tried to boot up a fresh Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit VM (not KDE though), and tested Facebook in both Firefox and Chrome, seems okay there.

post-252898-0-06913500-1431691310.png

Found this link where someone encountered the same problem on Fedora, something to do with SELinux (which I don't think applies to Mint). It might be some security permissions related though, since Chrome has the per-tab sandbox thing where the web page runs in a lower-privileged process.

• Like 1

I tend to copy files from my windows PC to my gentoo box and rarely have issues with fonts, maybe you could try that?

Just make sure teh files are chmod to 644 and you put the fonts in

TTF

/usr/share/fonts/TTF

OTF

/usr/share/fonts/OTF

you will probably need to log out and back in for them to be picked up

Not sure what is wrong then...

I tried to boot up a fresh Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit VM (not KDE though), and tested Facebook in both Firefox and Chrome, seems okay there.

attachicon.gifLinux Mint.png

Found this link where someone encountered the same problem on Fedora, something to do with SELinux (which I don't think applies to Mint). It might be some security permissions related though, since Chrome has the per-tab sandbox thing where the web page runs in a lower-privileged process.

Yeah you right i was using Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and Every thing was fine but when i upgraded to Linux Mint 17.1 KDE this happend. can u confirm using Linux Mint 17.1 kde on VM? That would be really appreciated. this thing killing me  

Yeah you right i was using Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon and Every thing was fine but when i upgraded to Linux Mint 17.1 KDE this happend. can u confirm using Linux Mint 17.1 kde on VM? That would be really appreciated. this thing killing me  

I tried with Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 64-bit, and have the same problem!

Still not sure why, but Chrome works okay after I install the fonts-liberation package (which is not installed by default on the KDE install, unlike the Cinnamon install).

Apparently there should be aliases set for the common fonts to the Linux equivalents (see http://seasonofcode.com/posts/how-to-set-default-fonts-and-font-aliases-on-linux.html), and checking /etc/fonts/conf.avail/30-metric-aliases.conf, Helvetica is mapped to "Nimbus Sans L", and Arial to "Liberation Sans", but Chrome doesn't pick up the former, and the latter is not available until you install the package. After installing the fonts-liberation package, the Developer Tools show that the Facebook line now still uses Nimbus Sans L in Firefox, but uses Liberation Sans in Chrome.

However, Chrome can use Nimbus Sans L correctly if I make a webpage with explicitly specifying the font, so it's not a font-not-found problem but a mapping-not-found problem, it seems.

Maybe the mapping is hardcoded somewhere in Chrome, or there is some mapping somewhere else that I don't know about. According to this (very old and probably outdated) page: http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/fonts/ Chrome doesn't support the fontconfig mapping except for the special case of Arial to Liberation Sans, and Times New Roman to Liberation Serif,

• Like 1

Still not sure why, but Chrome works okay after I install the fonts-liberation package (which is not installed by default on the KDE install, unlike the Cinnamon install).

Apparently there should be aliases set for the common fonts to the Linux equivalents (see http://seasonofcode.com/posts/how-to-set-default-fonts-and-font-aliases-on-linux.html), and checking /etc/fonts/conf.avail/30-metric-aliases.conf, Helvetica is mapped to "Nimbus Sans L", and Arial to "Liberation Sans", but Chrome doesn't pick up the former, and the latter is not available until you install the package. After installing the fonts-liberation package, the Developer Tools show that the Facebook line now still uses Nimbus Sans L in Firefox, but uses Liberation Sans in Chrome.

However, Chrome can use Nimbus Sans L correctly if I make a webpage with explicitly specifying the font, so it's not a font-not-found problem but a mapping-not-found problem, it seems.

Maybe the mapping is hardcoded somewhere in Chrome, or there is some mapping somewhere else that I don't know about. According to this (very old and probably outdated) page: http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/fonts/ Chrome doesn't support the fontconfig mapping except for the special case of Arial to Liberation Sans, and Times New Roman to Liberation Serif,

Thank u Very Much u did a lot for me. Now should i report this issue to Linux Mint so they can release an update or something?? 

Thanku Very much I just Installed package  fonts-liberation and restart every thing was on its place :) worked like a charm