Javascript Encoder for web browsers!

Question

Hi,

Couple of weeks ago I was searching for a Javascript encryptor or encoder and the obfuscator or uglify for Javascript you all recommended was a very good solution. Javascript has become quite popular in the web and more and more businesses or apps are created with robust client side code or frameworks made in Javascript. I personally don't have the time or motivation to make it happen but I thought if the web browsers in the distant future will include some kind of runtime for encoded javascript codes. A good example I could find is ionCube for PHP. What ionCube does is it encrypts the PHP code and during runtime the ionCube decodes the code and makes it available for PHP to interpret. It also uglifies the code. Someone with serious motivation could retrieve the uglified source codes but it's still a good solution to add a layer of security. They also claim that since the codes are bytecodes, they execute faster as well.

If we introduce something similar, do you think it will speed up the execution of Javascript codes or make it it more efficient as well? I love opensource solutions but sometimes there's also the need to add a layer of security or privacy. So, I was wondering if companies might introduce their own addons/plugins for web browsers and require the people to install their add-on in order to use their apps.

2 answers to this question

obfuscation isn't security, simply security through obscurity. Anyone with enough time can decompile it. Even bytecode, can be decompiled this way, although as it's compiled the resulting code would be... messy.

Do I think this will one day happen? Probably. However, we're just now seeing ASM.js, so I don't think we'll get javascript binary blobs until the ASM is taken care of. And when we do get the JS binary, it will be more like a subset of C code, run in the browser.

i think you not looking at correct solution for your 'security concern'.

If you want to protect your web content, you should build your own web browser, probably using webkit, trident or gecko.

You can programming anti-context menu, hide the web address, etc, like Itunes and other web-viewer based app.

Then you can distribute your browser-app to your customer if they want to enjoy your website.