Home Server upgrade time

Home server hardware choice  

11 members have voted

1. 1. For my needs, should I go down the Bay Trail Atom route or Haswell Celeron route?

• Bay Trail Atom
    • Haswell Celeron
    • Dig out the old N54L Microserver!!!
    • Other (explain below!)

No equivalence released? That's strange.

The G8 is the new version.

qKtvsN9.png

If you didn't store your media in such obscure containers you wouldn't need to waste energy and cpu time transcoding them every time you want to watch them... Simples.

Im sure you can do without having your subtitles in comic sans

I have mine in mp4 which is a stream-able friendly version. I convert everything from MKV to MP4. I also have a huge issue with Windows Media Center, but since W10 is doing away with that. I guess I'll have to work on PLEX.

The G8 is the new version.

Ohh.. That makes sense!

What do you have this pulling 650 watts? 

My N40L pulls 55watts and that is with 4 HDD and SSD disk.

My PC with with monitor pulls like 90W..

650W..  Is NUTS!!!  And would be more than 130$ a year...  ###### my whole doesn't pull that during the night if air isn't running, etc..

example

post-14624-0-87290700-1433256356.png

If your cost is 8 cents and you ran 24/7/365 at 650W your cost would be like $455

I would suggest you grab a killawatt meter and see what your actually pulling.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

• 2 weeks later...

I've ended up with the 260 G1 to see if it's upto the job. So far, power usage seems to be between 6-8w on average (although I haven't got the HDD in yet, just the SSD) with a max of 12w pulled. The 65W brick it comes with certainly seems overkill now! About 2p a day to run!

For now I've thrown Amahi on it to see if it'll do the trick - I might try something else or even DIY if anyone has suggestions? At the minute I'm only using it for DNS/DHCP, fileserving - eventually going to setup a VPN server and network wide adblocking.