Server2003 won't install in HyperV (new to HyperV)

I am a long time user of VMWare Workstation and am about to update my very outdated and now expired certifications.

I chose VMWare Workstationa again due to nested VM support which HyperV still doesn't provide. I created all my VMware vms fine including a nested VM for HyperV. So far this  worked as I created a role for HyperV and successfully created both Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 base images.

I need Server 2003 for a gateway/router between my domains and subnet tests like I normally use. 

THe problem is EFI is enabled by default and I do not know how to shut it off. I turned off secureboot but I get EFI ... book failed. EFI scisi Disk etc. I tried adding my own virtual hard disks and cdroms and still did not work.

Can hyperV run older operating systems?

I am a long time user of VMWare Workstation and am about to update my very outdated and now expired certifications.

I chose VMWare Workstationa again due to nested VM support which HyperV still doesn't provide. I created all my VMware vms fine including a nested VM for HyperV. So far this  worked as I created a role for HyperV and successfully created both Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 base images.

I need Server 2003 for a gateway/router between my domains and subnet tests like I normally use. 

THe problem is EFI is enabled by default and I do not know how to shut it off. I turned off secureboot but I get EFI ... book failed. EFI scisi Disk etc. I tried adding my own virtual hard disks and cdroms and still did not work.

Can hyperV run older operating systems?

Make sure you select Gen 1. Gen 2 is EFI only.

-Forjo

-Forjo

Gotcha.

I will redo. Thanks

... now off to conquer using .iso and saving the shared VM's from hyperV-Vmware-Host in a serious of shortcuts and permissions. YUCK ... sigh

• 2 months later...

-Forjo

Gen1 Hyper-V supports OSes back to (surprisingly) Windows 2000 forward to Windows 10 - including (egad) OS/2-eComStation, most Linux distributions, any BSD or derivative, etc.  (It even supports Android - which Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 leverage as part of the optional-but-free mobile development support.)  I haven't had ANY reason to use Gen2 Hyper-V support yet - though I could with 2012R2 and Server 2010/Windows 8 or later VMs; Gen1 still supports the same OSes - therefore, at least for me, what is the point of mixed-generation VMs?

The only real sting in the tail with Hyper-V is that - on the Intel side - you need Core i-series of any generation OR PentiumG/CeleronG third-generation or better; surprisingly, AMD has better Hyper-V support the further back you go than Intel does (all FX series CPUs, all Fusion APUs, and pre-FX CPUs back to Athlon II, including their mobile variants - remember, Baby Pavilion is driven by the Athlon II Mobile, and it's my mobile development platform, with the advantage of being portable itself).  Lastly, 2012R2 does NOT require EPT support to leverage Hyper-V - however, Server 2016 requires EPT support to even be installed.  Still, as I said, that's the only real sting in the tail with Hyper-V at all.

Gen1 Hyper-V supports OSes back to (surprisingly) Windows 2000 forward to Windows 10 - including (egad) OS/2-eComStation, most Linux distributions, any BSD or derivative, etc.  (It even supports Android - which Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 leverage as part of the optional-but-free mobile development support.)  I haven't had ANY reason to use Gen2 Hyper-V support yet - though I could with 2012R2 and Server 2010/Windows 8 or later VMs; Gen1 still supports the same OSes - therefore, at least for me, what is the point of mixed-generation VMs?

The only real sting in the tail with Hyper-V is that - on the Intel side - you need Core i-series of any generation OR PentiumG/CeleronG third-generation or better; surprisingly, AMD has better Hyper-V support the further back you go than Intel does (all FX series CPUs, all Fusion APUs, and pre-FX CPUs back to Athlon II, including their mobile variants - remember, Baby Pavilion is driven by the Athlon II Mobile, and it's my mobile development platform, with the advantage of being portable itself).  Lastly, 2012R2 does NOT require EPT support to leverage Hyper-V - however, Server 2016 requires EPT support to even be installed.  Still, as I said, that's the only real sting in the tail with Hyper-V at all.

I happen to like installing Server 2012 in two minutes or less, and VMs that's reboot in 12 seconds (reboot, not boot).  But hey, stay legacy if you want. ;)

http://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/hyper-v-2012-r2-pros-and-cons-of-generation-1-vs.-generation-2-vms.html

In a mixed environment, sure, you kinda have to use GEN1. But in a pure Server 2012 R2 environment, there are plenty of reasons to use GEN2.