"Windows has detected a Hard Disk Problem"

Like budman said, there is not reliable drive, they all fail at one time or the other.

I have one more question, it's probably better to ask here than a new thread:

I plan on building a new pc later in the year. since mine is about 7 years old now. So I'm probably gonna go on a budget with this laptop.

Should I buy:

2 TB HDD

1 TB + SSD (126?)

1 TB

I have 900 GB / 1TB full currently, and the 3TB External is roughly half.

Coming to think of it, I have a fair amount of phone backups, which most likely include music (will check later). So I could probably delete a fair amount of files, if I'm right I probably have about 5 duplicate folders of 1500 music, so that's a fair amount that could be deleted. I also have cloud storage (2tb) but never been a fan of those.

I'll just echo my last post, from personal experience, I'll vote getting Hitachi, now size, I tend to avoid large capacity drives unless I REALLY must. That's not to say I don't use them at all, I do, to date I have approx 3TB of backup data all stored on 3.5 inch drives (I am a small online business, so have to keep records) (usually I'll buy 2TB drives WD or Hitachi, but they're connected via a docking station, and once I've made my backup, they go into a case and sit in storage until needed)

But as I said, I am a new to large cap drives and in the way I use those, I cannot recommend with any real confidence, (500GB or less would have been a completely different story, I would have jumped up and down saying 'get this drive')

As others have said, all hard drives are unreliable, I've just been lucky with my choice of drives.

To be honest, I've never had a big HDD either.

Highest is 1tb for me. 3tb for the external, I had a 1tb before that but someone dropped it and it broke, and I saw the 3tb on sale for the same price as the 1.

I have one more question, it's probably better to ask here than a new thread:

I plan on building a new pc later in the year. since mine is about 7 years old now. So I'm probably gonna go on a budget with this laptop.

Should I buy:

2 TB HDD

1 TB + SSD (126?)

1 TB

I have 900 GB / 1TB full currently, and the 3TB External is roughly half.

Coming to think of it, I have a fair amount of phone backups, which most likely include music (will check later). So I could probably delete a fair amount of files, if I'm right I probably have about 5 duplicate folders of 1500 music, so that's a fair amount that could be deleted. I also have cloud storage (2tb) but never been a fan of those.

Laptop - buy a 512 gig SSD or largest SSD you can afford - sell your dog or something - the SSD is worth it

Desktop - SSD boot - 256 or 512 - over time the small SSD's waste too much time managing space - also there is almost always a large performance drop below 256

Second drive on desktop could be a Western Digital Black 2T

Then get a 4 to 6 gig Hitachi to back everything up

Like budman said, there is not reliable drive, they all fail at one time or the other.

But some brands tend to last much longer than others before failing.

False, they all die. You could buy the best WD in the world and still get a DOA, or fail in a few months. You can get the crappiest drive in the world, and it last you 10 years.

ALL DRIVES DIE.

• Like 1

False, they all die. You could buy the best WD in the world and still get a DOA, or fail in a few months. You can get the crappiest drive in the world, and it last you 10 years.

ALL DRIVES DIE.

Exactly. The thing is some brands have more drives last longer as are the brands named in this thread. Just like where I work we have as many Seagate drives as we have WD drives, and in the 2 years I worked here, all the drives except a few that failed were Seagate. From my experience the drives that are due to die faster will do in the first few months, if they don't they'll last years, whatever the brand.

We all have our favorites. In the real world, it doesn't matter.

We all have our favorites. In the real world, it doesn't matter.

Brand is the wrong concept. The only scientific reliability data on current drives available is the Backblaze data I previously linked. Only by purchasing the exact models for which significant reliabilty data exists can you have a chance of doing better than rolling dice. Even then you can get bad luck. But yiou can't (scientifically) say buy Brand X.

Instead you might say buy Version Z of Model Y of Brand X

Einstein said "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" which the lazy press interpreted to mean "keep things simple" but Einstein meant we have a horrible habit of over-simplifying things.

"In the real world, it doesn't matter" - of course any drive selected will eventually die and even a carefully selected drive might die early, but the real world also happens to contain real people for which making some attempt to increase the chance to maximize the value of their hard-earned money might matter very much.

"In the real world, it doesn't matter" - of course any drive selected will eventually die and even a carefully selected drive might die early, but the real world also happens to contain real people for which making some attempt to increase the chance to maximize the value of their hard-earned money might matter very much.

Uh-huh, So the guy that pays a dime per GB , vs the other guy who pays a nickel per GB is supposed to make a difference?

Brand is the wrong concept. The only scientific reliability data on current drives available is the Backblaze data I previously linked. Only by purchasing the exact models for which significant reliabilty data exists can you have a chance of doing better than rolling dice. Even then you can get bad luck. But yiou can't (scientifically) say buy Brand X.

Instead you might say buy Version Z of Model Y of Brand X

Einstein said "Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler" which the lazy press interpreted to mean "keep things simple" but Einstein meant we have a horrible habit of over-simplifying things.

Except the Backblaze data can't be compared to home use. It's a Datacenter with varying technology and too many varying factors that we simply don't have at home. Also, whoever said that we suggested brands in a scientific way is very wrong. We go with the experience we have, not science.

• Like 1

Except the Backblaze data can't be compared to home use. It's a Datacenter with varying technology and too many varying factors that we simply don't have at home. Also, whoever said that we suggested brands in a scientific way is very wrong. We go with the experience we have, not science.

Experience says the Earth is flat. Of course the Backblaze data is not home usage.

But it is also absolutely (as hard as it is to believe) the only data available and there is useful insight in that data. You are welcome to use voodoo or astrology or whatever you please since it is your purchase.

I don't know about anyone else but I sure never acused anyone here of being scientific in their approach to evaluating possible drive reliabilty. Imagine the horror of not being able to use myth and magic in the arcane art of disk drive provisioning. Harry Potter would not be amused.