Setting up a website to be public using Kali Linux

I'm about to bash my head against the wall trying to figure out 

how to make a a website that I've created in Kali Linux which can

be viewed on my own private networking able to be viewed from a 

computer outside my network.

I can figure how to make my ip addres private if that's what's involved.

Besides Kali Linux I'm also using a Lynsys router with dd-wrt.

Thanks in advanced for any helpful response/s.

I'm about to bash my head against the wall trying to figure out 

how to make a a website that I've created in Kali Linux which can

be viewed on my own private networking able to be viewed from a 

computer outside my network.

I can figure how to make my ip addres private if that's what's involved.

Besides Kali Linux I'm also using a Lynsys router with dd-wrt.

Thanks in advanced for any helpful response/s.

So to summarize: 

• You have a web page on your PC and you are able to view the pages on your home network
  • You want to access the pages from away from home, (from the internet)

WARNING - Be warned that it is generally not a good idea to just open up anything inside your home network to the outside, I'm not going to go into details of how to protect your network, you asked for how to open up for external access so I'll show you just that.

Things you need:

• Your external IP
  • The internal IP of your PC
  • Access to the Linsys DD-WRT router via the web interface

This next bit is directly snipped from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Port_Forwarding#Port_Range_Forward :

• Browse to the web interface.
  • Click on the "NAT / QoS" tab.
  • Click on the "Port Range Forward" subtab.
  • Enter any Application name you'd like. This is for your own reference and does not matter to to the router.
  • Enter 80 in Start port .
  • Enter 80 in End port.
  • Enter the local IP Address of the machine you'd like to forward the port to. (internal IP)
  • Check the "Enable" checkbox to enable forwarding for this port range.

If the computer you're forwarding to is configured by for automatic IP address by DHCP, you will periodically have to update the last field to reflect the machine's current Local IP Address. 

Save and apply the settings and you should be good to go (might require a restart depending on the router model)

Now, you will be able to access your web server on http://<you external ip>/ 

Kali linux not really a distro of choice for serving up websites.. Its a penetration testing distro - not really something designed to be used day to day as you normal OS or serve up stuff to the public.

What exactly do you want to make open to the public?  Does your isp even allow 80 inbound?  What do you have in front of your "Lynsys router"  did you mean linksys?  Is it also doing nat?

I am blown away from someone that would even know about kali linux not know how to forward a port.. Then again someone that would try to run a website on it - not so much ;)

Here is what I suggest to people wanting to host public services off their HOME connection - DON'T!!  What sort of site are you trying to make public - and who are going to be the users?

• Like 3

Agree with Budman

If yours gonna do this use something like Debian, nice and easy to setup and lots of tutorials and documentation online

I open mine up to the public every now and then to get people to test stuff but then its closed again

Too much to worry about making it safe and secure for me to risk it

I'm confused...I tried forwarding the port range but it didn't work...but my mistake it's a Netgrear WNR2000 v3 connected to the cable box provided by the ISP.

And is that cable box a gateway doing nat..  what is the model of that box.. What does your router wan..  I would assume your behind a double nat..