June 2015 NPD

Sony has confirmed that its PlayStation 4 console once again outsold the competition in June.

The PS4 outperformed the Xbox One and other platforms, according to data from industry-tracking firm The NPD Group that Sony shared with GamesBeat. The company credits The Caped Crusader for giving it the win.

• Like 2

I have both but I like my XB1 a lot more. PS4 is a great device, I just find the XB1 to be a more well rounded entertainment unit.

My PS4 gets more use for Spotify than anything else. Add that to my Xbox One and I'd probably just unplug the ps4

NPD is U.S. retail sales.  It is not global, it does not include digital sales, and bundles count only toward the hardware and not the software.

The platforms in parenthesis after the software titles are in order of most sales to least so Batman: Arkham Knight sold the most on the PS4 and the lease on PC.

Software

1. Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
2. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
3. Lego: Jurassic World (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, Vita)
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
5. Splatoon (Wii U)
6. Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
7. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
8. Mortal Kombat X (PS4, Xbox One)
9. NBA 2K15 (360, PS4, Xbox One, PS3, PC)
10. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)

Hardware

Sony:

PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in the United States in June due to the overwhelming popularity of the Batman: Arkham Knight PS4 bundles,

PlayStation 4 also led software sales in June.

PS4 continues to lead console sales in the U.S. and globally

Nintendo:

Through the first six months of 2015, combined sales of Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems have increased by more than 20 percent over the same time frame in 2014. Much of this growth can be attributed to Nintendo 3DS and the new momentum created by the launch of New Nintendo 3DS XL on Feb. 13. So far this year, sales of Nintendo 3DS hardware have increased by more than 40 percent over sales at the same point last year.

Microsoft:

Xbox One and Xbox Live continue to see strong growth in sales and engagement. Xbox One sales in the U.S. were up 51 percent over June 2014 and active global Xbox Live users (Xbox One and Xbox 360) grew 22 percent.

Source

I wonder if the X1 is selling close to the ps4.  Considering that X1 sales are steadily on the rise, it would be interesting to know if they are selling close together.

Its amazing to me that both the X1 and PS4 have been selling as well as they are for as long as they have.  The ps4 is certainly outselling the x1, but even the x1 is apparently doing well. 

There we go, that is some useful clarification.

So it was about a 65k difference.  I wonder if that space has remained steady or been changing in one direction or another.

Still, it does show that the X1 and PS4 seem to be selling at more than healthy levels, with the ps4 leading the way. I wonder how long it will be before we reach a saturation point.  I know there are still lots and lots of previous gen users, so it may be a while.

So it was about a 65k difference.  I wonder if that space has remained steady or been changing in one direction or another.

Still, it does show that the X1 and PS4 seem to be selling at more than healthy levels, with the ps4 leading the way. I wonder how long it will be before we reach a saturation point.  I know there are still lots and lots of previous gen users, so it may be a while.

Hlsgr7r.png

Gap is around 770k between PS4 and XB1 just now. That's just the factual numbers above, if you take note on MS PR you'll need a maths degree to wade through the 8,000% this, 3.57x that, 2/3 of x in year 2010, and so forth.

Xbox One is up 100,000 units in June of 2015 compared to June of 2014

Xbox One is up 51% in June of 2015 compared to June of 2014

Xbox One is up 5 out of 6 months for 2015

Xbox One sales for June 2015 are 28,000 units higher than the PS4 in June 2014

Xbox One is up 207% for 2015 to date compared to 2014 same time frame

YoY growth is all that's important, business wise, and selling better/more than the last gen models.    I still think the console market is more or less the same as a whole, but it'd be good to see if it grew with this gen when the final LoD for everything is added up.   Though hard to say exactly how big the console market is since many people own more than one, so there's overlap in the end.  Still, if after 8 years or so the XB1 and PS4 have sold around the same number of units total as the 360/PS3 then that's pretty telling.  If they manage to sell a good deal more than the last gen hardware that's a positive sign.

YoY growth is all that's important, business wise, and selling better/more than the last gen models.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

YoY growth is certainly a good indicator, I'd even agree it's important, but I think you're really reaching if you seriously claim it's "ALL that's important".

Despite what some may have you believe how you fair against your competition and the size of the market as a whole is important as well and not just the domain of fanboys.

For example:

You introduce a new product and sell 100 units the first year and your only competitor sells 150 for a total market of 250 units.

In your second year you improve 51% and sell 151 units and your competitor sells 500,000.

In this, rather extreme, example your YoY growth doesn't mean much at all. You may soon be driven from the market because you're a tiny bit player now.

It's especially bad when you're competing for 3rd party support for your product. In the console industry 3rd party developers/publishers are more likely to make exclusive deals with market leader.

Even developers of multiplatform games are more likely to use the market leader as their primary development platform and then port to the other(s).

Even in hardware accessory makers are more likely to make accessories for the market leader, case for you cell phone, etc.

I still think the console market is more or less the same as a whole, but it'd be good to see if it grew with this gen when the final LoD for everything is added up.   Though hard to say exactly how big the console market is since many people own more than one, so there's overlap in the end.  Still, if after 8 years or so the XB1 and PS4 have sold around the same number of units total as the 360/PS3 then that's pretty telling.  If they manage to sell a good deal more than the last gen hardware that's a positive sign.

Wait are you just considering the Xbox and PlayStation consoles?

I'm pretty sure if you are then the console market is larger now than it was after the prior gen had been out an equal amount of time.

Both MS and Sony are selling more than their prior gen consoles.... they aren't "the console market as a whole" though.

I'm also pretty sure that PS4 + Xbox One + Wii U is actually less than Xbox 360 + PS3 + Wii despite Sony and Microsoft doing better and Nintendo doing worse.

Two years into the Wii it was still a phenomenon and the huge sales gap between the Wii and Wii U more than offset the improved Microsoft and Sony sales.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

YoY growth is certainly a good indicator, I'd even agree it's important, but I think you're really reaching if you seriously claim it's "ALL that's important".

Despite what some may have you believe how you fair against your competition and the size of the market as a whole is important as well and not just the domain of fanboys.

For example:

You introduce a new product and sell 100 units the first year and your only competitor sells 150 for a total market of 250 units.

In your second year you improve 51% and sell 151 units and your competitor sells 500,000.

In this, rather extreme, example your YoY growth doesn't mean much at all. You may soon be driven from the market because you're a tiny bit player now.

It's especially bad when you're competing for 3rd party support for your product. In the console industry 3rd party developers/publishers are more likely to make exclusive deals with market leader.

Even developers of multiplatform games are more likely to use the market leader as their primary development platform and then port to the other(s).

Even in hardware accessory makers are more likely to make accessories for the market leader, case for you cell phone, etc.

Wait are you just considering the Xbox and PlayStation consoles?

I'm pretty sure if you are then the console market is larger now than it was after the prior gen had been out an equal amount of time.

Both MS and Sony are selling more than their prior gen consoles.... they aren't "the console market as a whole" though.

I'm also pretty sure that PS4 + Xbox One + Wii U is actually less than Xbox 360 + PS3 + Wii despite Sony and Microsoft doing better and Nintendo doing worse.

Two years into the Wii it was still a phenomenon and the huge sales gap between the Wii and Wii U more than offset the improved Microsoft and Sony sales.

I was talking about YoY growth for both, not just one or the other.   As far as the business goes, the bottom line is about making more than you did before, YoY growth and quarter to quarter growth is tied to that.    For the console market the PS4 and the XB1 are most of the market right now, the WiiU is a distant 3rd, what other consoles are you thinking of besides the 3, nothing else in the console market.    And as far as if the market has grown or not we won't know till we've hit the same time period, 7-8 years and see where the totals are, the fact they're selling more now compared to last gen doesn't indicate anything at this point other than pent up demand for something new after having the last gen around for so long.  We'll know where things are in a few more years and if they outdone the others by a large margin, showing overall market growth, or if they're around the same levels as last gen showing that the market has remained flat overall, it's pretty simple.

Global sales wise:

PS4: 24 Million

Xbox One: 13 Million

US seems to be the only place the Xbox One is relatively close to sales to the PS4. I think once Halo 5 is released it will overtake PS4 sales for a month or two but apart from that I think the PS4 will steadily outsell the Xbox One on a month to month basis at least for the next few years as games like Titanfall which spiked interest in the XOne are now going multiplatform due to the popularity of the PS4, Halo which is 'the' game that people buy an xbox for which will be released soon and not have another(decent version) for a few years and also because I don't expect anymore price drops as it's had a few already and Sony are in a much better position to price drop than MS now.

We still have no official numbers from Microsoft on the Xbox One sales, so we don't know the worldwide difference between the two consoles. But we are glad to see that the Xbox One is chipping away at that lead in NA.

I'm a gamer and I couldn't give two hoots who has sold what.....

Bottom line, unless you are a shareholder, why should you care? It's pretty clear neither company are going anywhere as numbers are high enough to justify keep making them.

Most of us gamers are excited when gaming consoles, games and gaming PC's do well, as well as handhelds and mobile game devices. Most of us want them all to sell well, be here for many years to come, be successful, have a ton of support, and finally, give us endless hours of awesome gameplay.

The success of gaming is very important to those who enjoy gaming.

Most of us gamers are excited when gaming consoles, games and gaming PC's do well, as well as handhelds and mobile game devices. Most of us want them all to sell well, be here for many years to come, be successful, have a ton of support, and finally, give us endless hours of awesome gameplay.

The success of gaming is very important to those who enjoy gaming.

But.. is the PS4 not a gaming console?  Why does it matter if the xbone sells well or not vs the ps4?

But.. is the PS4 not a gaming console?  Why does it matter if the xbone sells well or not vs the ps4?

It doesn't matter so long as both do well!! That is the best part! Actually, add the Wii U in there too...I would love for that to do much better than it  is.

It doesn't matter so long as both do well!! That is the best part! Actually, add the Wii U in there too...I would love for that to do much better than it  is.

Okay, maybe it was just the way you were talking about it being a good thing MS is chipping away at the Sony lead.. it confused me as to why it would be a bad thing if they weren't.

Okay, maybe it was just the way you were talking about it being a good thing MS is chipping away at the Sony lead.. it confused me as to why it would be a bad thing if they weren't.

It's a good thing that Microsoft is improving sales, chipping away at their long distance gap. The Xbox sure saw some stumbling blocks early on, where the PS4 was an instant success. So it is good that the Xbox has slowly recovered. We want the consoles to remain competitive so that the consumer wins in the end. 

It's still sold enough to warrant it's existence. Not sure how the PS4 sales and the Xbox chipping away at them is important in the slightest?

The PS4 is the fastest selling console in the history of ever so anything keeping up with it is doing extremely well, but nothing is ... yet the Xbox One has sold more units than the Xbox 360 so far, so it's all good.