Is Microsoft's priority shifting from phones to tablets?

It used to be that Microsoft was more concerned about Windows Phones than Windows tablets. (If you don't believe me, just check out the Windows Phone Store compare to the Windows Store)

It seems that to not be the case anymore: Windows tablets are now higher priority. The development of Windows 10 Mobile is languishly behind those of Windows 10 (for tablets).

I do think that the turning point is the Surface business becoming profitable: MSFT sees the light at the end of the tunnel. The smartphone business meanwhile is still in the red.

Windows 10 (for tablets) seems to include some features that are very specific to the Surface (or 2-in-1s like the Surface) including Tablet Mode, inking, and better support for the pen in the OS.

The strategy now seems to be to convince developers to develop apps for Windows 10 and since the apps are universal apps, giving free boost to Windows 10 Mobile.

I don't think it's either. Their whole marketing team has a hard on for the Start Menu, so 90's era desktops it is!

Windows phone always lagged behind Windows (see W8 > WP8 then W8.1 > WP8.1). I think despite all their "One Windows" chantings, they are still two different operating systems*. That's why they need W10 finished before they can start other flavors (W10M, W10Xbox etc.) on top of it.

I think despite all their "One Windows" chantings, they are still two different operating systems*. That's why they need W10 finished before they can start other flavors (W10M, W10Xbox etc.) on top of it.

They are definitely different operating systems. That said, if they can all run the same universal apps (with few modifications), I wonder how much that distinction.

If someone buys a tablet with Windows 10 Mobile and hope to run desktop apps, they will be very disappointed.

Tablets with screens smaller than 8 inches = Windows 10 Mobile

Tablets with screens 8 inches or larger = Windows 10 (for PC)

I hope they do emphasize tablets because I've decided that my next combination of tablet/phone is going to be the most expensive tablet I can afford, plus a bottom-basement phone.

I've noticed that I do most of my "consumption" on my tablet where the screen is bigger and easier to use. It's nice to get emails on the phone but everything else I've found to be better on the tablet. I'm going to be interested to see what they do with the UI on the tablet.

I don't think it's either. Their whole marketing team has a hard on for the Start Menu, so 90's era desktops it is!

I would say their customers have a hard on for the start menu. They tried to remove it once.

• Like 2

I hope they do emphasize tablets because I've decided that my next combination of tablet/phone is going to be the most expensive tablet I can afford, plus a bottom-basement phone.

I've noticed that I do most of my "consumption" on my tablet where the screen is bigger and easier to use. It's nice to get emails on the phone but everything else I've found to be better on the tablet. I'm going to be interested to see what they do with the UI on the tablet.

If Microsoft is successful (which is not at all certain), dedicated tablets will be gone.

There will be 2-in-1s and then there will be phablets.

This is probably why MSFT is going to allow apps to be port from iOS to Windows 10.

The other weak link (beside apps) is that Intel need to be able to deliver low powered high performance processors.

If Microsoft is successful (which is not at all certain), dedicated tablets will be gone.

This is probably why MSFT is going to allow apps to be port from iOS to Windows 10.

The other weak link (beside apps) is that Intel need to be able to deliver low powered high performance processors.

Hmm.. Well I might go for the 2-in-1 but I probably wouldn't go with the phablet in that case because a phablet would be more expense and I could do the same thing on a cheap phone. 

They are definitely different operating systems. That said, if they can all run the same universal apps (with few modifications), I wonder how much that distinction.

If someone buys a tablet with Windows 10 Mobile and hope to run desktop apps, they will be very disappointed.

Tablets with screens smaller than 8 inches = Windows 10 Mobile

Tablets with screens 8 inches or larger = Windows 10 (for PC)

The distinction shouldn't exist in terms of features offered in Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. Here is my list of pet peeves based on my experiences with latest builds of both (on a 13" laptop, 7" tablet and Lumia 920)

- Keyboards: One Windows with two different keyboards, why can't I use the awesome WP keyboard in Windows 10?

- OneDrive: Integrated on Windows but an app on W10M (hopefully they fix it as W10M matures).

- Login: W10M logs me without insisting on pin or password. Why does my desktop at home, which has a less than 0% chance of anyone trying to break in, needs me to enter pin/password!

- Apps: The Outlook app shouldn't be a scaled up mobile app but a scaled down desktop app. It needs to showcase the platform by building a full featured desktop app running on 15"+ screens with tiny mouse optimized controls and then it scales down as you reduce screen size or take away mouse.

- Themes: Allow me to enable dark theme in one place even if only for UApps.

- Copy-paste: Why is it different for both? and why o why the paste button keeps sliding out on W10M (since WP7.5 but still why)?

- Language support: I have "good" support for my native language in WP/W10M but then the same keyboard doesn't exist or is offered in Windows 10. WTF?

To end my rant with TLDR: I don't think they are focusing on anything particular. It is the same strategy as Windows 8.x with a new/common app platform and hoping it works this time.

• 1 month later...

Wrong - the distinction that currently exists between phablets and larger Surface-sized tablets will remain (phablets can make and receive calls by means other than Skype); not everyone wants to make phone calls from a tablet.  (Not even all Android tablets - or iOS tablets for that matter - can make or receive calls; iPads, despite LTE or cellular connectivity can't, for example, though the iPhone 6 and 6+ can.)  Tablets and phablets - despite running common OSes - DO differ in terms of feature support (due to hardware differences, firmware differences, or both).  A phablet can replace a smartphone; however, the screen is typically too small to replace that of a Surface, for example - let alone a notebook.  (It's why I pointed out that while a phablet COULD replace my cellphone, it's no threat to even my wimpiest notebook, due to lack of screen size.) It sure sounds like the REAL issue is more a hatred of phablets in general.

I would say their customers have a hard on for the start menu. They tried to remove it once.

That's pretty much it, warwagon.  The anti-W10M phablet crowd is ALSO of the opinion that Windows on phablets STILL needs a Start menu - why would it when it's not there on smartphones running the same OS (such as the Lumias, for example)?  If a Start menu makes no sense on a phone, why would a tablet or phablet (same OS) need one? (It's also why I argued in favor of the aborted Surface-mini - a phablet-sized device - being a Lumia instead.)

Phablets have a place, and even have a use - Android and iOS prove it every day, simply due to user demand.  Why should Microsoft and other ODMs making W10M hardware ignore that market, especially since W10M fits that space at least as well as Android and iOS do?

Microsoft mobile is dying in all but name, in another year or two there will only be one or two main stream versions available and at an expense compared to other operating systems.

Why would dedicated tablets necessarily be gone?  There are still dedicated Android tablets (most of which are based on the same case design as their phablet relations); the iPhone didn't kill the iPad.  Yes - the entire difference generally between tablets and phablets revolves around a single feature (making phone calls via cellular networks) - still, not every user has use for - or even wants - a phablet of any sort.  In urban or suburban areas, a combination of low-end cellphone + tablet can actually be cheaper than a phablet (short, medium, and long-term) due to not needing a data plan AND lower up-front costs.

Tablets and phablets have different uses cases - despite OS commonality.

It seems that to not be the case anymore: Windows tablets are now higher priority. The development of Windows 10 Mobile is languishly behind those of Windows 10 (for tablets).

windows 10 mobile is also for tablets.  

windows 10 mobile is also for tablets.  

I agree - it's why I find the lack of W10M phablets (not just tablets) particularly odd, since there are Android phablets at darn near every price point imaginable; I've even pointed out (in this very thread) that there are TWO phablet variants of my own Lenovo A7-30F (A7-30GC and A7-30HC) - the ONLY differences have to do with support needed for cellular calls in hardware and firmware - they even share the same case.