Windows 10 is free but what's the catch?

Hello,

Incorrect.  Not all APIs and functions are available on all versions of Windows.  If you want your software to support a wide range of Windows versions, you need to develop and test for each version.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Fragmentation is a false construct in most senses, especially with Windows.

The catch is don't expect an upgrade like Win 3.1 to 95/XP to 7 was. Expect something more around 98 to ME (as you'd already know). Regardless, Microsoft would really like you to use it.

That's good though, IMO.

I eventually managed to convince my parents to let me upgrade them from XP to 7, but I would never have dared upgrade them to 8. I can imagine the conversation now - "So how do I shut this thing down? Well, hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the screen, click settings... etc". 

Windows 10 seems, to me at least, to be Windows 8 with the sense of Windows 7. They've removed the nonsense, making it much more usable (especially for non-geeks) and to me it's just way more easier to use.

Fragmentation is a false construct in most senses, especially with Windows.

Totally agree with you. Microsoft loses money giving support to lots of versions. the more people that uses win10 will reduce support costs and security issues. I also think that they changed the way they earn money. Now they must be targeted to apps and not the OS. like apple did 6 years ago with the apple store.

Hello,

Incorrect.  Not all APIs and functions are available on all versions of Windows.  If you want your software to support a wide range of Windows versions, you need to develop and test for each version.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You are welcome to your opinion.

There are many avenues to which you can develop for all SUPPORTED versions of Windows, with the exception of WinRT applications.  Fragmentation or not, you still have to test these things regardless.

Same thing with Android.  If a developer decides not to take those avenues and whine about fragmentation, that is on them.

Don't think there will be any catch for traditional Windows users.

What MS do with their store and apps is another question, but that can all be ignored. Any sort of service subscription for an app, Office or Gaming (Xbox integration), again, can all be ignored. The only disastrous thing they could do is put the actual OS behind a subscription.

Windows 10 being free is good and all, but I can't help but feel like there's a catch somewhere.  Maybe MS will do something a few years down the line, for example:  "Opps you can't get this app because you didn't pay for Windows 10" or something like that.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Microsoft isn't cheap to do something like that.

Oops, misread.  Ignore me.

Edited by adrynalyne
oops

the catch is you have to let go of WMC :p

OP take off your tinfoil hat buddy :) Ms are doing this to simplify and unify support. why else do you think its free to hoem users but businesses need to pay for the upgrade ;) its to kill off older Oses that just wont die! :p

If you can try to subscription solitaire (at very worse you'd expect a one off fee...) then anything can be done.... 

RWPrHmD.jpg

Edited by Audioboxer

Windows 10 being free is good and all, but I can't help but feel like there's a catch somewhere.  Maybe MS will do something a few years down the line, for example:  "Opps you can't get this app because you didn't pay for Windows 10" or something like that.

No, because I also use OSX and the last few versions have been free.

Hello,

I wish it were solely my opinion.  However, it is a fact.  I should probably point out that my employer develops kernel mode drivers, some of which make use of protected APIs.  It suspect it is quite different if you are developing user mode applications, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

You are welcome to your opinion.

There are many avenues to which you can develop for all SUPPORTED versions of Windows, with the exception of WinRT applications.  Fragmentation or not, you still have to test these things regardless.

Same thing with Android.  If a developer decides not to take those avenues and whine about fragmentation, that is on them.

The catch is you can never transfer your "freely" obtained Windows 10 license to a new PC. So essentially all Microsoft is doing is postponing the moment you have to get a new license from now to later. In my case my Windows 8 Pro license hit the end of the line with my current Asus notebook. After that I either have to deal with a new notebook's bloatware, revert back to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 10 (if possible driver wise) or purchase a new Windows 10 Pro license.

Once you ditch your current PC the situation is the same as it always been.

It's my opinion that if you give something away for "free" and promote it as such to the general public, just give it away for free and allow people to use it indefinitely. That includes when they're getting a new PC a few years down the road.

"MS will do something a few years down the line, for example:  "Opps you can't get this app because you didn't pay for Windows 10" or something like that."

It's happened already with Windows DVD Player - only available to upgraders who had WMC installed!

Otherwise you have to buy it via the store!

It's happened already with Windows DVD Player - only available to upgraders who had WMC installed!

IIRC WMC was also made available as a (temporary) freebie for Windows 8. Having upgraded multiple computers at no cost, I don't feel particularly ripped off.

Hello,

I wish it were solely my opinion.  However, it is a fact.  I should probably point out that my employer develops kernel mode drivers, some of which make use of protected APIs.  It suspect it is quite different if you are developing user mode applications, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I rest my case then .Fragmentation is only as real as you make it.

Kernel mode drivers will always have concerns with updates on any OS. 

Hello,

On the plus side, my employer licenses its software by the product type and not the version, so there's no charge to upgrade to a new version when a new version of the OS comes out.  That's not unique; a few of our competitors do the same thing as well, but others like to license by the version, so that when a new OS comes out, a new version has to be bought to support it (or an additional software maintenance agreement has to be purchased).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I rest my case then .Fragmentation is only as real as you make it.

Kernel mode drivers will always have concerns with updates on any OS. 

No I don't. Microsoft doesn't make that much money on selling seperate Operating Systems to consumers anyways. And many studies have shown people rarely upgrade for the latest version of an OS. Particularly those on XP and Windows 7 don't feel a need to upgrade.

So Microsoft isnt really missing out on much revenue by making Windows 10 free. However, if those on Windows 7 remain on Windows 7 as long as those on XP did, then Microsoft's new ecosystem will never take off. I think the management team at MS made the concious decision to sacrifice some OS revenue for store revenue. Only by making Windows an ecosystem that can compete with iOS and Android can Microsoft remain competitive in the consumer market.

Hello,

On the plus side, my employer licenses its software by the product type and not the version, so there's no charge to upgrade to a new version when a new version of the OS comes out.  That's not unique; a few of our competitors do the same thing as well, but others like to license by the version, so that when a new OS comes out, a new version has to be bought to support it (or an additional software maintenance agreement has to be purchased).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I like it when companies do this.