Weird activation issue and odd product ID.

So I updated my Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate install to Windows 10 Pro and it activated fine on the generic key and then I used the media creator tool to make a new Windows 10 Pro ISO and did a clean install skipping the entering of any product key.

After the clean install Windows would not activate saying my product key had been blocked so I had to use "slmgr.vbs -upk" to remove the product key "slmgr.vbs -ipk VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T" to put it back in and then "slmgr.vbs -ato" to activate it and it activated fine o.0.

And when I go slmgr.vbs /dlv it says "Licence Status: Licenced" Rearm counts are both at 1001 and it seems to be working fine.

http://i.imgur.com/t7AYtCj.png

http://i.imgur.com/FIOWal3.png

Also what is up with my weird product ID it has a lot of 0s in it.

I even get this when I type slmgr.vbs /xpr http://i.imgur.com/FEuxuE5.png

Looks like Windows 10 is free all around...

What I do not understand is why it did not activate on the clean install when before that I upgraded a legitimate valid Windows 7. and why removing and re-adding the product key worked o.0.

Could you give me step by step on what to do please. I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 and it activated Windows 10 Pro fine. So i made a Windows 10 Pro usb and clean installed now it's saying my product key is block. Please can you just tell me what you did etc since I had no idea.

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 pro with media center today using the ISO files that were released today. Got the same key (or at least the same ending digits: 3V66T)... It wont activate and just says try again later (error earlier was something like invalid key or something). I tried the emailed media center key that I have saved in my email (not sure were my install Windows 8.0 disk is atm) and it wouldn't take that key... I'll see what it does during the next few days otherwise I'll be using my ghost backup image from a few days ago and revert my system to 8.1...

I upgraded my Windows 8.1 pro with media center today using the ISO files that were released today. Got the same key (or at least the same ending digits: 3V66T)... It wont activate and just says try again later (error earlier was something like invalid key or something). I tried the emailed media center key that I have saved in my email (not sure were my install Windows 8.0 disk is atm) and it wouldn't take that key... I'll see what it does during the next few days otherwise I'll be using my ghost backup image from a few days ago and revert my system to 8.1...

I have the exact same problem, but I didn't go ahead with the install after it said it couldn't verify the key, even tho it's a legit wmc key, can't locate my original 8 keys, so am stuck here.... Oh and upgrading from windows update is a no go either, brings up some weird error which windows can't find any info on....

I have the exact same problem, but I didn't go ahead with the install after it said it couldn't verify the key, even tho it's a legit wmc key, can't locate my original 8 keys, so am stuck here.... Oh and upgrading from windows update is a no go either, brings up some weird error which windows can't find any info on....

I used the x64 iso file to perform an in place upgrade. The only prompt I got during the whole thing was that Media Center would be removed so I confirmed that and then clicked next and was told Windows 10 pro will install and my files would be kept. So I clicked install. Not once I was I prompted for a key nor was I told my key was invalid.

You shouldn't be using a key for an upgrade.  Once you've done the upgrade via your existing installation THEN you can do a clean install from an ISO, skip the key entry and it'll be activated after the install is complete.

At no point in that process are keys required.

I used the x64 iso file to perform an in place upgrade. The only prompt I got during the whole thing was that Media Center would be removed so I confirmed that and then clicked next and was told Windows 10 pro will install and my files would be kept. So I clicked install. Not once I was I prompted for a key nor was I told my key was invalid.

That's the problem, why on earth are people using keys?

Upgrade with your existing installation then clean install and chose "Skip" when it asks you for your key.

Upgrade with your existing installation then clean install and chose "Skip" when it asks you for your key.

I did, my key has been blocked.

I used the media creation tool to create a bootable usb, upon booting from it, it asks for a key .... or skip, I didn't want to skip as if win 10 was installed and not activated, I would be up the creek so to speak, it wouldn't let me install from within windows with the usb key.

I did upgrade my existing installation using the iso. The only thing I can think of is since I don't have an uefi bios and I don't use a Microsoft account; that there is an error in the system as to how to handle my type of upgrade (maybe a refresh will fix it or I'll just have to ghost back).

I said how I got it to activate in my first post. But I had the same issue as a few people. Legitimate Windows 7 Licence which activated and I upgraded it and that windows 10 install was activated. I then did a clean install and skipped putting the keys in and it did not activate so I had to use Command Prompt to remove the generic key and re-add it and then activate it in CMD and its been fine.

So quick update really. I re-installed Windows 10 again in UEFI mode this time because before I had to switch back to MBR because I could not get Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 to install in UEFI and after this install without putting in any product key at all Windows 10 Pro activated immediately so I am guessing it was most likely due to the activation servers being hammered that mine did originally.