Windows 10 Installation failed

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I'm trying to install Win 10 on an SSD via the Media creation tool. Everything goes smoothly until my system reboots to finalize the update.

The exact error message is this:

Error: 0X8007002-0X200009

The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during Prepare_Rollback option.

I'm currently running a legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 and have tried to disable all non-Microsoft services before installation.

Thanks

Have you tried using Windows Update rather than the tool to perform the upgrade? I have read it is best to use the Update method and perform the upgrade, then if you want use the media creation tool to download the media and create a USB or DVD to perform a clean install.

Have you tried making a usb installer using the ISOs available?

I used Rufus to make a bootable installer from them and they worked much more reliably than windows update.

I used the ISO files and instead of creating media I just mounted the iso in my windows 8.1 pro (not sure if mount is a pro only feature or not) and ran the installer (you could also use something like 7zip to extract the iso file and run the installer that way as well).

I had the same issue with both my systems that could be upgraded. One was PRO, and one Core (Home) versions - both showed multiple fails under windows update. Here is what I did that corrected this and allowed both to install without issue.

1.  Run cleanmgr.exe, and select cleanup system files, making certain that cleanup windows update has been selected - run this and then do #2.

2. From an admin cmd prompt type the following  wuauclt.exe /updatenow    press enter

Now if you check windows update you should see windows 10 downloading and once it has completed the download it will continue with the install.

Here's what finally worked for me after trying multiple times and multiple ways.

Unplug all external drives (from what I can gather from a web search this particular reference to 0x80073B92 - 0x20009 has something to do with external drives).

Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributions\Download and delete anything in that folder if there is anything there.

Then go to this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and click on either the 32 or 64 bit tool and then run it to update your current pc when it asks.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Set the drive 10 will be installed to as the highest priority in the BIOS/UEFI. It should also be marked as an active partition. 
Most BIOS and UEFI should have a screen where you can set the initialization priority of hard-drives, often this is also the boot priority. If the target drive is not in the highest slot, it can cause Setup to fail. 
This usually works as an alternative to physically disconnecting other hard-drives. 

windows 7 windows store usb tool works better than the media creation tool.

windows 7 windows store usb tool works better than the media creation tool.

unless you're installing on a UEFI system, you cannot use the windows 7 tool. Rufus is a much better way to go, especially on newer systems.

unless you're installing on a UEFI system, you cannot use the windows 7 tool. Rufus is a much better way to go, especially on newer systems.

I've used it on both efi and old school bios systems just fine.. even with server

UEFI* it does not work; Windows tool formats into NTFS, UEFI can only boot from FAT when reading from the USB drive. It does not create the USB properly for those systems.

My thinking is that, Windows 10 should have been finished and waited a bit longer before release. I personally can't recall a windows release having so many issues. not even with 8 or 8.1. however i heard someone here at neowin state that Windows 10 is an OS that is being completed on the fly through updates. But even updates aren't doing well as peoples graphic drivers are being erased.

My thinking is that, Windows 10 should have been finished and waited a bit longer before release. I personally can't recall a windows release having so many issues. not even with 8 or 8.1. however i heard someone here at neowin state that Windows 10 is an OS that is being completed on the fly through updates. But even updates aren't doing well as peoples graphic drivers are being erased.

I tend to agree.  I think it's pretty good overall, but there is a definite "half-baked" feeling to it.