Total Ad Peformance Malware/Adware creating havoc in my Windows 10 laptop and Nexus mobile phones - Please Help !!!

Question

Hi,

My name is Gautam and was introduced to this knowledgable forum by a dear friend.

Just yesterday came across this malware/adware called "Total Ad Performance" which pop ups new windows every time I click on a link or even anywhere on a page (non-link). I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop day before yesterday.

I'm running Eset Smart Security full version and it has sometimes detected and blocked this malicious malware when those pop ups opened and sometimes failed to do so. Scanning my entire laptop with Eset hasn't helped in detecting and cleaning this malware one bit. Also I have tried Malwarebytes and haven't succeeded in eliminating it.

The reason I'm bringing this to your notice is that if I can find solution for myself and others also can benefit from it who are facing this unique malware issue. I have enclosed some screenshots below for your reference.

Also this malware hasn't spared my wife's and my android phone as well (Nexus 4 and 5). If you can help me with that also, it will be great. Malwarebytes & Eset unable to remove it on the phones also. Also tried Avast and 360 degree security solution and none have succeeded in even detecting the malware.

Look forward to hearing from you to help me solve this.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Gautam

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum, Gaubot!

I am not seeing any screenshots that you mentioned. Perhaps something got fouled up when you were trying to attach the picture files. You might want to try again.

Cheers.

Hello,

It sounds like your router's DNS settings may have been compromised, since you have multiple operating systems (Windows, Android OS) being affected by the advertisements.

Since you are an ESET customer, why not give their technical support a call and ask them to help you investigate this?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

As Aryeh states it looks like it could be your router DNS settings have been compromised so scanning locally will have no effect whatsoever. Try resetting your router back to defaults. They normally have a small pin hole which you have to insert a something in and hold for 30 seconds or so.

What does the result of an ipconfig /all from a cmd prompt say the DNS servers are? What make and model is the router? If you do sort it out make sure you turn remote admin on the router off (unless you need it), with many routers it is on by default (and the passwords are easily available!).