Bios only shows 4GB instead of 12GB??

I have a first gen i7 setup with 12GB RAM and a Gigabyte motherboard.

Today I decided to clean out my PC and stripped most of it down and reassembled but having put it back together I noticed I was getting DRAM error when booting and only 4GB of the 12GB was usable (6x2GB sticks)

I swapped them around but that did nothing no matter what I did, I still only have maximum of 4GB enabled. I can see the memory in the M.I.T option but have no idea why it's not being used.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I've overlooked?

Thank you

IMG_20150802_171732.jpg

from the piccy slots 3 4 5 and 6 are reporting back they aint enabled buddy.

if you remove dimms from slot 1 n 2 (infact take them all out), replace with any of the dimms from slots 3-6 and fit to slot 1/2 does the PC see them in slot 1&2? If so the Dimms are good and it's a setting that's disabled.

If it doesn't see them in slot 1&2 when you insert them and boot into bios, they may be fried.

A wild shot this one, did you attack the PC innards with a hoover by any chance?

I just got done dealing with a Gigabyte board and memory issues.  You need to get the latest BIOS.  What MB model do you have?

And double check to make sure you have all the power cords plugged in the motherboard.  If everything worked before you took it apart, maybe you missed something...

The memory modules are all being detected correctly.   However it appears like tri-channel memory might be selected and for whatever reason, it deciding that its incompatible and dropped down to a single channel only (A).  This could happen if channels B or C had different timings, but at least from the screenshot you provided they appear to all be exactly the same.

If it were me, i would try the following

1. Reset the BIOS to fail-safe defaults (Press F6 from the screenshot)

2. Clear the CMOS using a jumper on the motherboard.

3. Reflash the latest BIOS and if you are on the latest, then reflash the current BIOS version.

Good luck!

from the piccy slots 3 4 5 and 6 are reporting back they aint enabled buddy.

if you remove dimms from slot 1 n 2 (infact take them all out), replace with any of the dimms from slots 3-6 and fit to slot 1/2 does the PC see them in slot 1&2? If so the Dimms are good and it's a setting that's disabled.

If it doesn't see them in slot 1&2 when you insert them and boot into bios, they may be fried.

A wild shot this one, did you attack the PC innards with a hoover by any chance?

Hi Mando,

I couldn't find any setting in the motherboard to enable them (Gigabyte EX58-UD4) :/ I remember they just worked! I tried playing around with the dimms and even had a spare 4x2GB memory modules and they did the same thing, It's leading me to believe that maybe that there is something wrong with the dimm slots.

I tried resetting CMOS and updated to the latest BIOS (11t I believe) and that did nothing. I tried re-seating the CPU and I didn't find any bent pins etc and definitely installed correctly as there is only one way to install it.

I didn't use a hoover at all. I took all components out and cleaned carefully with qtips etc. I am muffed really to say the least.

Hi Mando,

I couldn't find any setting in the motherboard to enable them (Gigabyte EX58-UD4) :/ I remember they just worked! I tried playing around with the dimms and even had a spare 4x2GB memory modules and they did the same thing, It's leading me to believe that maybe that there is something wrong with the dimm slots.

I tried resetting CMOS and updated to the latest BIOS (11t I believe) and that did nothing. I tried re-seating the CPU and I didn't find any bent pins etc and definitely installed correctly as there is only one way to install it.

I didn't use a hoover at all. I took all components out and cleaned carefully with qtips etc. I am muffed really to say the least.

gigabyte boards, don't they have an expert mode or something on POST (ctrl & F1 i think) that allows you to manually change items? 

its either as you say flakey sockets (would be very rare?) or they are not reading the SPD from the ram correctly etc. Its like its stuck in dual channel mode from what I can see (and not seeing slots 3,4,5+6), but Mobo sees it has 2Gb modules inserted in the slots 3-6, (it wouldnt say 2048 if it did not detect somethings inserted slots 3-6)

Deffo sounds like a bios setting mate, thats causing the slots 3-6 to not enable in channel b or c

Grabbed the boards manual, ill add anything i can find once i've gone through it for you, fresh pair of eyes n all that :) I remember why I stopped buying gigabyte mobos lol their manuals are a nightmare! i keep choosing english, halfway down it changes to Urdu or some other language, ffs just gimme the motherboard manual like i asked in ENGLISH :p

**UPDATE** did find this post on another forum. worth going thru their suggestions. 

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/43771-ga-ex58-ud4p-cant-see-all-ram.html

Edited by Mando

SOLVED!!! I decided to look again at the CPU socket this morning and I noticed with a magnifying glass one of the pins has been bent ever so slightly! I realigned and it now shows 12GB again! Phew!

Thank you Mando, Toytown & for Open Minded for helping me getting to the bottom of this! :)

• Like 3

A bent pin was the cause? I would have expected the computer to just not start.

Either that or constantly turn on and off which is exactly what happened to my brother's Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 motherboard. Fortunately, I was able to fix it by straightening out the pin.

SOLVED!!! I decided to look again at the CPU socket this morning and I noticed with a magnifying glass one of the pins has been bent ever so slightly! I realigned and it now shows 12GB again! Phew!

Thank you Mando, Toytown & for Open Minded for helping me getting to the bottom of this! :)

Your welcome matey, glad to help!

I did see a post on that tweaktown about bent CPU pins, but you didn't say you removed the cpu from the socket so I thought hmm unlikely :) Dang! :) main thing is its resolved. And Kudos on having the guts to straighten a motherboard socket pin!

Clearly steady hands :p

Your welcome matey, glad to help!

I did see a post on that tweaktown about bent CPU pins, but you didn't say you removed the cpu from the socket so I thought hmm unlikely :) Dang! :) main thing is its resolved. And Kudos on having the guts to straighten a motherboard socket pin!

Clearly steady hands :p

I was very surpried as the CPU can only go in one way on the socket! Feel a little silly!

Happy days its working now :)

I was very surpried as the CPU can only go in one way on the socket! Feel a little silly!

Happy days its working now :)

could have been worse, the days of straightening pins on the actual CPU are long gone with intel (thank the lord!)

A bent pin was the cause? I would have expected the computer to just not start.

When some of the RAM is not detected, the first thing I check for are bent pins.

This is by far the most common issue.