How would I sign a firefox addon that a developer no longer has up on the addon page but I saved it ?

You'd have to submit it to Mozilla, but they'll only allow that if the original license allowed for you to do so.

So how do I find the original license holder ? So I can ask if it is ok ?

Someone already did it with the addon but it doesn't work right. The old one works great after manually installing it.

The alternative is compile firefox yourself and disable that sodding extension signing rubbish.

That's a horrible idea, up there with not using any AV or firewall on a computer 

The proper solution is to find a maintained extension that does the same thing, there is always an alternative 

That's a horrible idea, up there with not using any AV or firewall on a computer 

The proper solution is to find a maintained extension that does the same thing, there is always an alternative 

It's not even remotely related to not using a firewall or AV.

If I want to load an extension or make my own and use it, I damn well will, I couldn't give a ###### what mozilla try to do to stop me, you can't even compare someone writing an extension for a web browser and the browser having ###### unwanted 'you cant use this' protection against someone not using anti-virus software or a firewall to stop viruses/trojans/dodgy network traffic. Not even similar.

If I want to load an extension or make my own and use it, I damn well will, I couldn't give a ###### what mozilla try to do to stop me, you can't even compare someone writing an extension for a web browser and the browser having ###### unwanted 'you cant use this' protection against someone not using anti-virus software or a firewall to stop viruses/trojans/dodgy network traffic. Not even similar.

You know you don't have to pay to have your addons signed right? Simply uploading them to addons.mozilla.org results in them getting signed.

I have no idea why anybody would be upset about addon signing.

You know you don't have to pay to have your addons signed right? Simply uploading them to addons.mozilla.org results in them getting signed.

I have no idea why anybody would be upset about addon signing.

It's not about cost, why the heck should I have to upload what I've written to mozilla for something that is not going to be released just for them to 'inspect it'? That's like saying games companies should give away their games to motherboard manufacturers so they can 'inspect how it runs' on their motherboards and certify it.

unpack the extension, update the manifest file, zip as xpi, submit for signing, get a link to the extension and use it for yourself. Worst case scenario: extension is rejected due to coding issues and you have to update the code.

It's not about cost, why the heck should I have to upload what I've written to mozilla for something that is not going to be released just for them to 'inspect it'? That's like saying games companies should give away their games to motherboard manufacturers so they can 'inspect how it runs' on their motherboards and certify it.

Then sign it yourself, Mozilla have said multiple time they aren't going to be the only people who can sign addons.

And game devs do give free copies of their games to hardware companies to see how it runs, it's great marketing for both of them.

Then sign it yourself, Mozilla have said multiple time they aren't going to be the only people who can sign addons.

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of signed addons if you can just sign it yourself.

No? The whole point of code signing is so that you know the file is unchanged from the author.

Anybody can take an addon and sign it, but they can't make it appear to be from the original author.

And game devs do give free copies of their games to hardware companies to see how it runs, it's great marketing for both of them.

Go and read the mozilla post on the issue, you cannot sign them yourself, they MUST be uploaded to mozilla and have them approve and sign them
Edit: Here you go; https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/02/10/extension-signing-safer-experience/

"Extension files that aren’t hosted on AMO will have to be submitted to AMO for signing. Developers will need to create accounts and a listing for their extension, which will not be public."

Why not use the Firefox Developer Edition in this case?

because developer with e10 is crap (slow and constant crashes with flash). It's better to sign for your personal use the extension and be done with it.

Well, as far as I know only Nightly and the Developer Edition (Aurora too?) has an override for the signing enforcement.

yes. I still think it's easier to submit the extension by yourself and get a signed version for your personal use (as long as you don't have to modify code to go through the automatic signing process) if you want to keep using a "stable" firefox version