Shall I or Shan't I?

I have a C2D E2140 laying around. I have spare PSU, RAM (DDR2), cases, etc. I just need a motherboard. As its last one died miserably. Should I get those Dell/HP server ones that go for a few bucks on eBay?

Or invest in a "real" 775 motherboard? As an ITX or Mid-ATX? Or am I just crazy? The E2140 sells for like cheap on eBay, I wouldn't get much out of it.

I could use it as a home server, other than that, I don't really have any use for it...

I'd get a decent motherboard with at least some FSB tweaks in BIOS, because if you use the pinmod on that processor, you can run it at 2.8ghz on air comfortably. I had that processor for about 4 years before I upgraded lol.

I found the mod quite painstaking though and it took a couple of attempts to get it right.

Having said all of that, if you really want a server, you might want to consider the power usage of it all. I mean that processor uses 65w during peak usage, which isn't loads, but with it being switched on all the time, it's definitely something to think about.

You might be better getting a cheap all in one MOBO like the ones that AMD sell, I built a system for my uncle with something like that and they can be put in very small form factor cases (or larger if you want space for more bays)

You're looking at a peak power usage of just 20 watts with say

http://www.ebuyer.com/655722-biostar-a68n-5000-ver-6-x-amd-fusion-apu-vga-hdmi-6-channel-hd-audio-a68n-5000

Throw in some DDR3, you already have everything else and you're probably in a much better situation than having a very old, relatively power hungry server. Still, at a pretty damn low cost really!

Might want to look at this too:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/488/AMD_A4-Series_for_Notebooks_A4-5000_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2140.html

Edited by kalkal

I have an Intel NICU with an i3. I use the NICU to host my MC server. I also have 2 Atom ITX boards and small cases, thought the Atoms died hard... Probably the board that went bad, but the CPU was soldered to the MB.

I have a Intel NICU with an i3. I also have 2 Atom ITX boards and small cases, thought the Atoms died hard... Probably the board that went bad, but the CPU was soldered to the MB.

Well this is AMD, my Uncle's server has been pretty much running 24/7 for the last 3 years now without a problem.

It was just a suggestion, I can see why you'd feel the urge to use spare parts lying around.

tbh mate, sell the bits and put it towards a half decent NAS with UPNP n DNLA servers (most do) and you've got a way more power efficient and useful device for your entire home, using a fraction of the power that any ATX PSU would use even at idle, i realise this is a bit off field. :)

All my other parts are spare parts. They are not for sale. Only the CPU would be.