AMD OpenGL binary shader programs

Question

I've been toying around with some OpenGL stuff and have been looking into saving and loading binary shaders using OpenGL 3.3... I have ATI catalyst and driver 15.x with a HD5700 GPU.
One thing doesn't really seem to go with the spec, the OpenGL docs say you should use glGetIntegerv(GL_NUM_SHADER_BINARY_FORMATS, &Var); to see if binary shaders are supported or not... Well if I do this, I get a 0 meaning that they are not supported (they definately should be), so ignoring that and just getting the binary of the shader using:
glGetProgramiv(Program, GL_PROGRAM_BINARY_LENGTH, &ShaderSize);
glGetProgramBinary(Program, ShaderSize, NULL, &binaryFormat, binary);

(I've set binaryFormat to 0 and 1 but it give the same results) returns me the compiled shader program - great! The only problem is it seems to be a complete waste of time, I'm saving the contents to a file and checking it, and inside the file I have an ELF header followed by some binary data, followed by my whole shader source code in ascii - why ? The whole point on binary shaders is to compile them and remove the source code... After this is some more binary data, another ELF header and what I assume to be the binary shader. Ironically there's also ascii warnings in this binary shader (e.g. WARNING: warning(#276) Symbol "FragPos" usage doesn't match between two stages).

So what I want to know is why is GL_NUM_SHADER_BINARY_FORMATS returning 0 (GL_SHADER_BINARY_FORMATS also returns nothing even if I provide it an array with 10 elements) when the card and driver clearly supports binary shaders and why is the ATI hardware/software giving me a binary shader with the full source code of the shader in it?

5 answers to this question

Can't actually load the binary shader, get an error but glGetProgramInfoLog() returns absolutely nothing, even when I trim off until the second ELF header - great work AMD, can't possibly imagine why your market share is sliding...

You created a context right?

Yes, that's the first thing I do (using glfw). It's able to compile and use the shaders fine but just won't present me with any supported formats or accept binary shaders in.

I did a quick test and I think the problem is that you're mixing shader binary formats with program binary formats. I believe GL_NUM_SHADER_BINARY_FORMATS is meant to be used with OpenGL-ES and the glshader functions. On a non-embedded system such as the PC, you should be querying GL_NUM_PROGRAM_BINARY_FORMATS:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>

void
init() {
	glClearColor(0,0,0,0);

GLint numFormats = 0;
	glGetIntegerv(GL_NUM_PROGRAM_BINARY_FORMATS, &numFormats);
	printf("%i\n", numFormats);
}	

void
display() {
	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
	glutSwapBuffers();
}	

int
main (int argc, char **argv) {
	glutInit(&argc, argv);
	glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGB);
	glutInitWindowSize(640, 480);
	glutCreateWindow(argv[0]);
	init();
	glutDisplayFunc(display);
	glutMainLoop();

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}	
$ gcc -o formats formats.c -lglut -lGL && ./formats

As can be seen above My R9 270 / catalyst returns 1.