Disk locations

I've included an image as I sometimes get lost for words when trying to explain...

I was looking at an ad here on neowin for crucial ssd drives, and that got me thinking (no I'm not getting one as I have a Kingston 128GB SSD drive)
BUT My ssd drive is not in the location of drive 0 as it was in my old rig, (and the other computers and laptops in my house all have c drives as disk 0)

I was wondering, am I losing out or should I reposition the sata cables so that C drive, (the ssd) is in the port that is currently occupied by my E drive which is in port or location 0? (currently not shown in the image supplied) would it make any difference etc..?
Just curious at this point..

Image1.jpg

Edited by Aheer.R.S.

Those locations don't matter a bit, actually.  You can boot to any drive.  The Drive0, Drive1 are only reported from where they're plugged in on the mainboard, but have nothing to do with performance.

• Like 1

Devhead, you could be right, but you could also be totally wrong if his mobo has got, for instance, 2 SATA 6 Gbps plugs, and 2 SATA 3 Gbps plugs. LOTS of mainboards don't have 4 SATA 6 Gbps connectors. So, basically, it's true the drive number has no effect, but only as long as your 4  plugs on the mobo have the same SATA speed ;)

If not, it will work of course, but not at full speed.

• Like 3

Oh crap, sorry guys the motherboard is an asus crossfire v formula z, the hand book says all 8 ports are sata 6gps
(I can't believe that I forgot to mention the board make/model in my OP, sorry)

@Jared-, yes I am probably just being ocd about it, but also as all other rigs I've build/bought have had the os drive as location 0 I (possibly incorrectly) assumed there was a reason for this (ie speed etc..)
@devHead I'll keep that in mind bud :)
@MP Technologie it's a Crossfire V Formula-z Asus ROG board :)

• Like 1

Devhead, you could be right, but you could also be totally wrong if his mobo has got, for instance, 2 SATA 6 Gbps plugs, and 2 SATA 3 Gbps plugs. LOTS of mainboards don't have 4 SATA 6 Gbps connectors. So, basically, it's true the drive number has no effect, but only as long as your 4  plugs on the mobo have the same SATA speed ;)

If not, it will work of course, but not at full speed.

True that.  Good point.

• Like 1

As long as the SATA channel it is connected to is the same speed it makes no difference, it is just a channel number. However if it causes a little itch you can safely swap the drives round without having to reinstall or anything crazy. It will continue to work just as it does now however the drives will be reported on the different channels in disk manager, etc.

As long as the SATA channel it is connected to is the same speed it makes no difference, it is just a channel number. However if it causes a little itch you can safely swap the drives round without having to reinstall or anything crazy. It will continue to work just as it does now however the drives will be reported on the different channels in disk manager, etc.

ahh, ok I'll leave it alone then, as I was thinking it shouldn't be like that, but if it ain't broke.....

Yup couldn't have put it better myself :) go for it, if you want to see it at the top of your disk list :p OCD alert :) that's the only point lol it niggles me also but I refuse to fix it :) 3 SSDs are a joy but next upgrade is a larger game SSD then ill merge steam and origin drives to have only 2 drives installed.

neo.thumb.jpg.ebf6f3001f1ae3950df588c640

mine are all over the place :) unallocated space is for over provisioning on my samsungs

Edited by Mando