USB Drive Performance

I am looking to get a USB 3.0 drive for my X1.  The 500gb drive it has in it now just fills up fast especially since roughly only 360gb is usable..  Curious if I were to install a game to the USB drive, what the performance difference would be as apposed to installing it to the internal drive.

You would get improved load times, i have a 2tb wd passport ultra although i only have 1 console so cant compare load times.

Definately worth getting an external and dropping it at the back of the console.

isn't the internal only sata 2?  USB 3 is faster than sata 2..  So I would think yeah you could see improvement if get a good quality external disk that performs as it should and just doesn't say usb 3 on its package ;)  I would think an external SSD would be good option here.

isn't the internal only sata 2?  USB 3 is faster than sata 2..  So I would think yeah you could see improvement if get a good quality external disk that performs as it should and just doesn't say usb 3 on its package ;)  I would think an external SSD would be good option here.

An SSD would be awesome but shame about the cost! :)

Yeah, if you're talking external for games then 2TB at the least, anything less than that it's just not worth it IMO.    They really should push into higher sized internal drives, they're doing the expected 1TB thing but they should've jumped up to 2TB and made a bigger splash IMO.

I grabbed a 1 TB WD PP Ultra USB 3.0 the day I posted this for $60.  Only have a couple games on it and looking to move my Witcher 3 install to it soon.  Got a 2tb WD PP Ultra as well for $90 for a backup for my backup.  My old USB drive, which I still use, is just a WD Passport 2tb (not ultra)

Yeah, if you're talking external for games then 2TB at the least, anything less than that it's just not worth it IMO.    They really should push into higher sized internal drives, they're doing the expected 1TB thing but they should've jumped up to 2TB and made a bigger splash IMO.

Was thinking 2tb...but 1tb should be enough for me.  If I am not going to play a game for a while, or it has crap replay ability, I will just remove it.  But will only 360gb internal, a few games I had installed was taking up 80% of the drive.

Was thinking 2tb...but 1tb should be enough for me.  If I am not going to play a game for a while, or it has crap replay ability, I will just remove it.  But will only 360gb internal, a few games I had installed was taking up 80% of the drive.

I do the same thing and uninstall games I don't plan to replay so my needs are less as well, still the trend seems to be heading for bigger installs as time goes on. Soon a few games will take up more space than they do today, just wait for more and more 60-80GB titles to hit.

I do the same thing and uninstall games I don't plan to replay so my needs are less as well, still the trend seems to be heading for bigger installs as time goes on. Soon a few games will take up more space than they do today, just wait for more and more 60-80GB titles to hit.

Yea, even then you can still get several games on a 1tb drive.  Plus, externals seem to be getting cheaper so really no big deal.  I keep installing/uninstalling Shadows of Mordor.  I got a little ways in to it but really not liking it to much.  I bough the physical copy so may just get rid of it.