New server on budget

Hello Everyone,

I'm pricing out components to build a new server for home which will be used to replace two separate machines.

At the moment I am running an old Dell Latitude laptop with an i3-390 and 4gb which runs as my Plex media server and dvd ripper.

The second machine is an old HP Pavilion with a Core 2 Duo E6600, 3GB RAM and 3 1TB drives in a Raid 5. This machine is running Server 2008 R2 and acts as web server, file server, along with providing dhcp and dns for my local LAN. It also hosts IIS and SQL 2008 though this is for my own testing, internal access only.

I want to consolidate these two into 1 machine which will be running 2012 R2 Standard with the added role of being a hyper-v host.

The purpose of the hyper-v addition is to give me a couple of vm's to use for testing purposes, primarily to learn Linux in a clean environment, but also to host what is currently the separate machine that runs Plex media server on Windows 10.

I am thinking I will also move the IIS and SQL server hosting to a VM but not 100% on that yet.

I have a limited budget and have allocated $200 for cpu purchase.

With this price in mind my options look to be the AMD FX 8369 or the i5 4590.

With the VM's and doing media transcoding and ripping I am leaning toward the 8 core AMD rather than the i5.

Thoughts?

Pro tip: head to CPUboss and compare the two CPU, you should find that the î5 is faster :)

I actually started there and in doing so it seems the site has changed a bit. In the past it would display comparisons of various benchmark scores between the cpu's being compared but this morning that data wasn't there.

For what it is worth, amd needs 8 cores to compete with intels quad core due to intel supporting both cores and hyperthreading.  Amd does not support hyperthreading and to get to the equiv of intels chips they need to add more cores.  Stick with the intel, it is a better/faster chip.

Thanks for the reply guys, looks like Intel is the way to go, now to find an appropriate motherboard.