...The Good Old Days of First Person Shooters

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare was probably the best COD game ever made. Black Ops III is just way too out there. I played it for about 20 minutes and removed it. Wasted $59.00 on it.(N)

On 11/7/2015, 12:18:10, Syanide said:

I managed to dig out the article about the failed attempt by Night Dive Studios to fix up and release the games digitally. Click. It's just so frustrating, those guys were literally already on it, but the higher-ups stopped it.

Anywho, I did some research to see what the people behind those games are up to nowadays, and several former Monolith employees actually have their own indie studio nowadays (Blackpowder Games), and they released their first shooter, Betrayer, last year. Looks interesting, might give it a shot once I find some time. I guess if these guys somehow magically got their hands on the rights to NOLF, they would be a great fit to make a sequel.

That was a very sad read, ######## soulless corporations and their endless copyrights.

As for Betreyer, it's a charming game with great atmosphere, interesting visual style and a decent story (if you don't mind reading notes), but it doesn't have anything in common with NOLF as far as I could tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Never had more fun in a game than Duke 3D. I remember discovering death match with Quake and having a ball. Really loved Quake 2 also.

• 2 weeks later...

The most fun I've EVER had while playing an FPS came from Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory ~2004. From there on I played a TON of 1.6 but it just wasn't the same. These days I do play CS:GO but I only play surf maps. :p

Nothing pulls me in quite like Counter-Strike 1.3+. Part of the problem is just growing up and becoming an adult, I can't spend the time most of these kids can with new games, so I am automatically behind in terms of XP and Weapons. That really puts me off, if I can't get a new FPS within the first month, I just don't bother because I hate grinding to get better than basic weapons, all while being blown to hell by less-skilled players, they just have better weapons. This doesn't happen with CS, it is all strategic in how you spend your money and everyone has a chance with the same guns. Been my go to since I fell in love with it ~14/15 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris,

The good news is that there is a company as we speak developing a game called Shadow Mercs.  12 of the developers are modders from Ghost Recon.  The original Ghost recon at that.  There will be 12 mission at first.  It will not be a run and gun game.  You will have to think and work as a team. 

Cheers.  Oh by the way I can't get my ghost recon to work on windows 10.  I did try rocky's thing yet it didn't work.