Blue arrows in shortcuts - Windows 10 November Update

What exactly does these blue arrows on (desktop) shotcuts mean?

BlueArrows_1511.jpg

Not sure if serious.... but it means the icon is a "shortcut" to the file in question, or that icon represents a "shortcut" to a program NOT on the desktop.

What exactly does these blue arrows on (desktop) shotcuts mean?

BlueArrows_1511.jpg

They show what's a short cut, anything without the arrow is a direct access file/program.

I'm sure he doesn't mean the blue arrow in the white box on the bottom left, but the two blue arrows on the top right. I see them as well, over shortcuts as well as actual documents. I think it means that the file is compressed.

• Like 2

I have them on my desktop too, but only on the app icons that were added automatically when installing the apps. the other couple that i created manually don't have them. and none of my document or folder shortcuts have them. can't find anything about them online.

Don't know. I don't have them. But shell icon overlays are listed in the following section in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

I have entries for Onedrive 1 - 5, EnhancedStorageShell, and Offline Files.

Don't know. I don't have them. But shell icon overlays are listed in the following section in the registry:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

I have entries for Onedrive 1 - 5, EnhancedStorageShell, and Offline Files.

Same here. I don't use OneDrive. But it wouldn't surprise me if it's related. Various other cloud and backup apps add overlays.

oh oh oh, found this: http://www.tenforums.com/customization/26212-new-double-blue-arrows-shortcut-overlay-post425163.html#post425163

So it's probably compression. only not of the shortcut but the target. I haven't tested to be sure.

I don't see them....how strange....(I see them in your screenshot, just not on my system)

I don't see them....how strange....(I see them in your screenshot, just not on my system)

You need two things:

1. Windows Explorer compressed folders

2. 1511 update installed

I compress everything I can so they are freaking annoying! Need to find out how to disable them...

Compression.

The blue arrows pointing toward each other at the top right of an object ... means that the object is compressed.
It'll show on shortcuts, too, when the destination object is compressed.
It's a new 'feature' that was introduced very late in the game for Windows Insiders, right before the 1511 update was released.
You can view/edit the compression property of an object, by right-clicking it and looking at Advanced Properties.

Are we having fun with rapid development yet?

Is it Microsoft's goal to obscure entire icons behind a plethora of badges? I always hated how the shortcut arrow blocks out 1/6 of an icon. This isn't helping.

It's hardly as bad as you make it out to be. On my system, the shortcut overlay covers 1/16 of the icon. I also don't mind the overlays if they deliver useful information.

Yes, I'm aware it was included in 1511 update, released publicly. As I said, it was introduced late in the game to Insiders, before the official release. It was a surprise to us Insiders, as well.

...It's an icon. 

It is a very very very extremely annoying decoration on top of an icon when you compress every file on your computer across 10 hard drives and all the folders have this thing that looks like a "Bra/Bikini Top" from a distance.

Yeah and EFS-encrypted files show a Lock overlay. Whatever for? There is already an option in Folder Options View tab to show compressed or encrypted files in color. Now they added yet another indicator for the same thing? :o I'd rather have some overlay to indicate file's read-only or index attribute.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2015, 2:42:44, .Neo said:

Is it Microsoft's goal to obscure entire icons behind a plethora of badges? I always hated how the shortcut arrow blocks out 1/6 of an icon. This isn't helping.

The shortcut arrows annoyed me so much, I use Vista Shortcut Manager to remove them completely. Now there are no arrows over any of my shortcuts, and I'm fine with that - I know what is a shortcut and what is not. 

4 minutes ago, Atlantico said:

The shortcut arrows annoyed me so much, I use Vista Shortcut Manager to remove them completely. Now there are no arrows over any of my shortcuts, and I'm fine with that - I know what is a shortcut and what is not. 

You don't need an app to remove the shortcut overlay.

Use regedit next time.

2 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

You don't need an app to remove the shortcut overlay.

Use regedit next time.

I prefer to use an app, using Regedit annoys me. The register even existing annoys me, and it's way easier and more reliable to use someone's script to do this than tinkering around in that ugly mess.