Best portable HDD (2015)

At the moment, 2TB portable HDDs seem like the best deal from a price per TB perspective, as well as physical size. A lot of people recommend either the 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim, or the 2TB WD My Passport Ultra (make sure it's the 2015 refresh). The one Nick recommended is also a good choice, but only if you don't want to use the backup software from WD (which comes bundled with the Passport).

I'm not worried about the price/TB as much as I'm about the reliability and the prospect of lasting at least 2-3 years.

Any views on Transcend 25M3?

Hello,

I have a couple of 4TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drives that I have been using without any issues for a while.  LaCie also has a semi-ruggedized model, the LaCie Rugged Mini, which goes up to 4TB as well.  Western Digital has the My PassPort Ultra series, which comes in capacities up to 3TB.

All of these drives are USB 3.0, if you need eSATA, FireWire or Thunderbolt, it might be better to get the appropriate empty hard disk drive enclosure and roll your own.  I've purchased enclosures from Oyen Data and CoolDrives in the past with no issues, as well as the usual suspects (Amazon, Newegg, etc.).

I would also recommend getting a small padded enclosure to put the drive in when its not in use and being transported.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky
edited for line spacing problem

I'm not worried about the price/TB as much as I'm about the reliability and the prospect of lasting at least 2-3 years.

Any views on Transcend 25M3?

I usually check how the Amazon review scores are distributed to see if the HDD is likely to have issues or not. The 25M3 has noticeably higher 1-star reviews compared to the WD Elements.

Amazon reviews: Top positive + top negative reviews for Seagate Expansion 1TB vs. WD Passport Ultra 1TB.

Thoughts?

seagate.PNG

wd.PNG

Don't buy WD Elements or Passports then, they use forced encryption which makes using the drive outside the enclosure impossible without formatting existing data should the enclosure board fail. The Passport doesn't even use a separate enclosure board, it's integrated into the drive PCB.

I hate them with a passion, and still get them coming in to have new USB connectors soldered on. Your best bet is to buy a standard enclosure and drive, put it together yourself. I keep giving this advice on Neowin, I should be a millionaire. WD just want the drives to fail so you'll send the drive back to them, as apparently only they can reverse the encryption. BUT, the encryption has been cracked wide open. Kristian Kison did a paper on cracking it using Linux to recover the encryption keys: Got HW Crypto paper. It isn't easy though, so I still don't recommend the drives to end users.

It even uses an article from my blog, TideLog in the references, on bypassing the USB connector if it breaks on the Passports, which was cool :)

Thank you for the thorough explanation.

I think the enclosure + standard SATA option is the best bet at the moment. However, I just looked up some enclosure brands and their website and found that none of them deliver to my country (Pakistan), not even Amazon.

What's my second best option? I'm really turned off at WD, and not sure if I should go for Seagate.

Please advise.