YouTube-DL-GTK

Question

This topic will be just for posting updates about one of my little pet side projects, YouTube-DL-GTK.  Previously I've created new topics every time I release a new version, but that seems to waste forum space so I'll just use this one topic as a place to post about it.

YouTube-DL-GTK is a cross platform Python front-end for youtube-dl that includes a basic GUI along with a Windows installer.

I made it mostly for myself just tinkering around a few years back and then ended up sharing it with my wife and my mom, and then eventually it wound up on Sourceforge in the hopes that maybe somebody might one day find it useful.  It seems to be getting downloaded pretty regularly here in the past month or two (anywhere from 30-100 downloads per week), so I've been trying to improve on it since at least a handful of people have expressed an interest in it.

The sourceforge page is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/youtube-dl-gtk/

I've tested it on Linux and Windows, but do not have an Apple computer around to test it on OSX.  It might work on OSX if the following conditions are met:

- The machine has Python 3.x installed

- The value of the built in variable "os.name" in python returns "posix"

- The system variable "HOME" exists and contains a subfolder named "Desktop"

If OSX doesn't return posix it will try to run anyway and just download the video into the current working directory.

I just released an update for it earlier, version 16.1.1.  Changelog for this version is as follows:

1 January 2016
Marcus Dean Adams
- Updated YouTube-DL to v2016.01.01
- Call youtube-dl directly in python instead of using os.system to run
separate executables, further improving the probability that it will
function on any operating system with Python installed.
- Added user authentication so videos that require you to log in should
now be accessible. Username/password authentication is not required,
you can continue downloading anonymously by just leaving the username
field blank.
- For the time being I have replaced all error messages with one generic
error. Some error numbers have changed and so far in my experimentation
with importing the python version of youtube-dl, every single error
raises the same exception name, which makes it difficult to handle
different outcomes since different errors throw the same exception.

2 answers to this question

Also I am aware that on Windows machines if you download the .exe file Chrome and IE (and probably Firefox too) basically tells you that it is "not commonly downloaded".  That's a given since it's just a little side project for me, and the file is perfectly safe.  Feel free to scan it with an antivirus, and if you want to read the source code before running the .exe just download and extract the tarball from the SourceForge page.  The binary Windows .exe is literally the exact same source code compiled with py2exe and packaged into an installer with InnoSetup.