Is anyone still using older phones?

I got tired of constantly charging my phone every 2-3 days, and I missed the physical QWERTY keyboard on my old Nokia E71, so I bought four Nokia E72's last summer to see if I could live with an older phone.

Also I noticed how everyone is costantly playing with their phones. Whenever I was somewhere where I had to wait, I was checking Facebook, reading the news or playing Candy Crush Saga or whatever. I didn't do that 5 years ago, and it started to annoy me.

I disassembled those, kept only the system board and replaced everything else with new parts I bought from ex Nokia Care Center. I've been surprisingly happy with those. Battery lasts about six days and it has everything I need, Email, SMS, calls, FM radio, Spotify and WhatsApp, allthough I could live without Spotify and WhatsApp. There is little that I miss, only thing might be that browsing websites was alot easier with a touchscreen.

I recently saw a newspaper article, it was about how many IT workers have started to use really basic phones, like that 'banana' phone used in The Matrix. I've also seen some of my friends post on facebook that they switched back to some old phones recently.

Why I ask is that I was curious if anyone else on Neowin is still using older (<-2010) phone?

Edited by Joni_78

I'm not but I always wanted to buy a beautiful E71. Just before Christmas I found 3 brand-new, unused, unopened, factory sealed E71s and when I contacted the online seller it was too late, he sold them almost instantly. I totally agree with you plus one more thing : an E71 or a 'banana' doesn't get viruses!

As a hobby, sort of, and for some sentimental and nostalgic value, maybe even an investment, I want to gather some day a collection of the cool old phones. 

The time is running out as they are getting more expensive and harder to find every day.

Here are my candidates:

Nokia 8850 (8890 in the U.S.) hands down, it's the best dumb phone I've ever owned. The craftsmanship is top-notch and it's so miniature! Love it!

Nokia 8600 Luna

Nokia 8800 Sirocco and Arte

Motorola KRZR, a successor to the legendary RAZR, but slimmer.

40 minutes ago, Joni_78 said:

like that 'banana' phone used in The Matrix.

It was a Nokia 8110, released in 1996!!!

Why I ask is that I was curious if anyone else on Neowin is still using older (<-2010) phone?

If you don't care about the style, well, they have their own style now, you should just grab a new basic Nokia (105, 108) as the battery life would be better imho. 

Wow, I'm just like you. I switched to smartphones some years ago, but I hated having to charge them constantly and most of all I hated the fact that they absorbed so much of my time (I even checked facebook during university classes). I know not everyone does it but the way most people use their phone is very anti-social and stress inducing. I also never learnt how to type on a touch-screen and I was so fast typing on a 123456789 keyboard.

So anyway I bought  a Nokia 113 for like 35 euros and I've been extremely happy with it. Technically it's not that "old" (think it was released 3-4 years ago?),  but it's old-fashione alright. It does everything I want it to do (has a mini-SD slot for music, radio, needs charging every 5 days or more depending on how much I use music/radio, has a great keyboard (contrary to other feature phones out there), and takes falls very gracefully), and it's anxiety-free since it's very impractical to browse the internet with it. Then again, I suppose it's up to the user of the phone to use it correctly but it's easier when you have a 40$ brick than an iphone ;)

id56934.jpg

So if you want a basic phone (that's not necessarily old), you might want to look into getting a Nokia. Just be careful with their larger models (220, 222) cause I've heard it's hard to type an SMS on them. Nokia 130 is also a good choice (my mom and sister have it and other than the slightly worse keyboard they're very decent though not up to par with the 113).

• Like 2

I recently gave up my Core i3 Ultrabook and traded it in for a ten-year-old AMD Turion 64 X2 laptop. I love how there's a DVD drive that takes ages to read and write discs, and the discrete graphics get so hot that it acts as a space heater...great for the long winter ahead. The screen has a pretty low pixel density so I turned on Windows XP's ClearType which looks awesome. There's no 5 GHz WiFi, but who needs those faster speeds when you have a built-in modem for legacy connections? I also love how heavy and solid the laptop feels; it really tweaks my back when I carry it around in my bag!

• Like 2

some don't buy a "phone" for the phone. sometimes its the least used thing. Now, most smartphones should be called "smart devices" and the phone part is simply an app. Some use the app, some don't. For me, i used other apps way more then the phone. From voice messaging on messenger to email to business apps, i think calling now only takes up ~150 mins a month for me now.

I could go back to used old school phone. But would need to pack my tablet with me then. Double thinking about it, i don't even need a phone, just a tablet capable of mobile data.

Edited by Rippleman

36 minutes ago, beanboy89 said:

I recently gave up my Core i3 Ultrabook and traded it in for a ten-year-old AMD Turion 64 X2 laptop. I love how there's a DVD drive that takes ages to read and write discs, and the discrete graphics get so hot that it acts as a space heater...great for the long winter ahead. The screen has a pretty low pixel density so I turned on Windows XP's ClearType which looks awesome. There's no 5 GHz WiFi, but who needs those faster speeds when you have a built-in modem for legacy connections? I also love how heavy and solid the laptop feels; it really tweaks my back when I carry it around in my bag!

You really didn't understand OP's point of view, do you? but start bashing :s really awkward. 

• Like 1

I use a Kyocera Loft which is pretty old. It's not a smartphone, but I only use my phone to make phone calls and sometimes send SMS and MMS. 

It has a backlit QWERTY keypad which is very nice physically and functionally.

I've had to replace the battery once so far, I just buy a cheap Chinese knockoff from eBay for like $5 shipped. Works just as good as the $50 "genuine" replacements. 

Kyocera_Loft_l3237i.jpg

22 hours ago, Copernic said:

I'm not but I always wanted to buy a beautiful E71. Just before Christmas I found 3 brand-new, unused, unopened, factory sealed E71s and when I contacted the online seller it was too late, he sold them almost instantly. I totally agree with you plus one more thing : an E71 or a 'banana' doesn't get viruses!

22 hours ago, Mirumir said:

As a hobby, sort of, and for some sentimental and nostalgic value, maybe even an investment, I want to gather some day a collection of the cool old phones. 

The time is running out as they are getting more expensive and harder to find every day.

Here are my candidates:

Nokia 8850 (8890 in the U.S.) hands down, it's the best dumb phone I've ever owned. The craftsmanship is top-notch and it's so miniature! Love it!

Nokia 8600 Luna

Nokia 8800 Sirocco and Arte

Motorola KRZR, a successor to the legendary RAZR, but slimmer.

It was a Nokia 8110, released in 1996!!!

If you don't care about the style, well, they have their own style now, you should just grab a new basic Nokia (105, 108) as the battery life would be better imho. 

Nice to see there are others, I thought that maybe I'm just getting old :)

Beware of those new older Nokia models on ebay, most of those are some knock offs from China.

Yeah, time is running out. I've tried to stock alot of external and some internal replacement parts for E72.

• 1 month later...

I still rock an old 3g moto razr v3xx,  It is a rock solid great backup phone.  Trust me...when the smartphones die due to the zombie apocalypse, my trust razr will still be working.