Favorites messed up in Microsoft Edge

I upgraded to Windows 10 about two weeks ago from Windows 8.1   It appears like everything went smooth except for My Favorites. I did that IMPORT thing from Internet Explorer. It looks like my Favorites are all there, but they are not in order. I had about 40 Folders with several sites in each folder, and then about 50 stand alone sites. They are not even in alphabetical order. I had previously copied all my Favorites to a Flash drive. I then copied them to the NEW location where EDGE stores the favorites. I think that worked for a day or two, and then they got all messed up again.  I then deleted the favorites from the old location where IE used to store them, I then deleted the favorites from the NEW location, and then I re-copied them back to the new location. Same result. All messed up. I Googled the problem, and it seems many people have the same problem with their favorites. Some people have even lost them entirely. At least I have them all on a flash drive. From everything I read, I can not see a solution that works. Not a REAL big issue, but it is annoying, looking for something. Maybe new upgrades will fix the problem.  OH, I have the same problem on another computer that I did a CLEAN install on.  Any suggestions ?  Thanks,  Mike 

Things have changed a bit since the first release of Windows 10.   At first, Windows 10 stored the favorites for Edge in a folder system (probably the "new location" that you're referring to).  However, in November, they released an update to Window 10, and this changed the method of storing Edge favorites.

After the "November Update", the Edge browser no longer stores its favorites in a folder structure.  Instead, it now stores them in an internal "ESE" database.   So, that means you can no longer just do a copy-n-paste of the files in an attempt to import or export your favorites.

So, the technique for importing is a bit strange... it take 2 steps

1) copy the favorites to IE first

2) use Edge to import them from IE