Soundblaster RECON 3D Fatality Sound card under Linux

$ aplay -L | grep "default"
default:CARD=Audigy2
sysdefault:CARD=Audigy2

Or just aplay -L to list all pcms. I have my onboard disabled on boot so the system defaults to the discrete card:

$  cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf 
blacklist snd_hda_intel

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simplezz said:

Or just aplay -L to list all pcms. I have my onboard disabled on boot so the system defaults to the discrete card:

blacklist snd_hda_intel

Looks like I need to pay attention more in my Linux+ book. Though, I'm not sure something like this is covered :p

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simplezz said:

blacklist snd_hda_intel

Awesome! Anyway you know to enable 5:1 surround so I can choose 5:1 in the sound options?

• Like 1

Let me know how this works out. I had to do some wizardry like this to my Audigy 2 Platinum to get it running properly back when I was using it. In fact, it's sitting in a box right now, lonely and dark.

23 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Let me know how this works out. I had to do some wizardry like this to my Audigy 2 Platinum to get it running properly back when I was using it. In fact, it's sitting in a box right now, lonely and dark.

Different chipset.

All the Audigy 2 series except the 2 SE, use the hardware-based EMU 10K1 DSP (the Audigy 2 SE uses a software DSP that mimics it; for that reason it won't work in Linux and has a reputation as a CPU pig in Windows).

The X-Fi sound cards with a hardware DSP use the X-Fi DSP (a bridge between the 10K1/10K2 DSPs of the Audigy 2/Audigy 4 and the SoundCore 3D of today); unlike the EMU DSPs, PCI, PCI Express, and even USB versions exist.  All require driver module support in the kernel.

The SoundCore 3D DSP is the first Creative DSP that is explicitly - but not natively - supported in Linux, due to it leveraging the Intel HD Audio specification (Intel created it as a vendor-neutral and OS-neutral specification) -for that reason, unlike previous DSPs from Creative, it is, in fact, mostly "true plug and play" (the one exception is, oddly, OS X) - you can leverage the Intel HD Audio driver in Windows 7 or later directly.

Ahh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Intel driver, huh? Nice. Seems like that would solve a lot of problems, but 'nix still needs to get its' [fleep!] together in that regard. Heh.

Thanks again.