Gamestop is Cheap and Greedy

Last night, I saw this video, and I felt shocked to see the truth about this. The 3 major companies would sue Gamestop for a lawsuit. I wish that Gamestop should donate to the charities for the poor people, so they can play video games too. I will start to think about to buy video games from amazon website in the future. What do you think of this video, everyone?

This is worthy of "back page news"?  I do not see how this video shows that Gamestop is "cheap and greedy" (maybe they are but this video doesn't prove anything).  The dumpster diver doesn't know the backstory for the items he found.  Who knows...maybe the games didn't work and there were issues with the hardware ... so instead of dumpster divers trying to make a quick buck on faulty software/hardware ... gamestop insured that the products couldn't get sold (by cutting cords/scratching the disc).

Anyway...Gamestop owns the disc/hardware ... they are free to do with them what they want.  Who is to blame them for wanting to prevent dumpster diving people from reselling products that they purchased?

Edit:  ...and LOL at GTA being donated to a children's hospital.

• Like 3

Just now, jjkusaf said:

This is worthy of "back page news"?  I do not see how this video shows that Gamestop is "cheap and greedy".  The dumpster diver doesn't know the backstory for the items he found.  Who knows...maybe the games didn't work and there were issues with the hardware ... so instead of dumpster divers trying to make a quick buck on faulty software/hardware ... gamestop insured that the products couldn't get sold (by cutting cords/scratching the disc).

Anyway...Gamestop owns the disc/hardware ... they are free to do with them what they want.  Who is to blame them for wanting to prevent people from dumpster diving and reselling products they purchased?

Exactly what i was thinking.
If the product is broken, then it makes sense to take it a step further and remove any liability by properly and officially destroying the product.

• Like 2

Dumpster diver complains about how he can't get anything for free?....

"This keyboard thing....I can probably still use this." (pockets it)  No! Why don't you ######## give it to charity?  I'm sure they want it.

This video only shows that if Gamestop gave their trash to charity, the charities would have more games then they need...or want.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, EmuZombie said:

Unfortunately, this is not a news story.   It has a better fit in Gamers' Hangout.

Thread Moved

I was not sure about this... so you move this thread to gamers' hangout.   thanks for fix that one.

I don't see how it is cheap or greedy?? If they donated them to charity they would get positive publicity, by throwing them out they get absolutly nothing (or do they get a refund??).

You want just as bad? Hallmark Cards does the same darn thing, when something is "out of season" or "no longer carried" they take it and "damage it out" to get rid of it instead of sending it off to be resold at a discount place or donated...so you have literally per store thousands of cards per holiday being destroyed and trashed, all those stuffed animals are destroyed, all the electronic items and ornaments that didn't sell on clearance, candy (yeah candy, something that is technically a food they just throw away once it gets out of season or close to it's exp date)... this isn't just some gamestop thing, it's in a lot of "boutique" type stores

This doesn't even make sense... GTA 5 was in there? They wouldn't cut that one and put it into the trash.

On 2/5/2016 at 10:26 AM, MikeChipshop said:

There has got to be a better explanation for this.
Maybe they're ex-rentals that no longer play? Or seconded goods that no longer work?

Gamestop doesn't do rentals, however I am thinking this is a setup or fake.

The games are probably defective or something, I think this guy just wanted to dumpster dive, get some games for himself and got upset so tried to flip this around.

• Like 2

Just now, xendrome said:

This doesn't even make sense... GTA 5 was in there? They wouldn't cut that one and put it into the trash.

Gamestop doesn't do rentals, however I am thinking this is a setup or fake.

maybe it's "trade in's" that turned out not to play? or returned items that were returned as non-working? that would make more sense

4 minutes ago, neufuse said:

maybe it's "trade in's" that turned out not to play? or returned items that were returned as non-working? that would make more sense

Likely the case, and thus they did permanent damage to them in the event that if they were recoverable (in a way that's outside their control) they'd not be liable for effectively giving away free product.

28 minutes ago, xendrome said:

The games are probably defective or something, I think this guy just wanted to dumpster dive, get some games for himself and got upset so tried to flip this around.

Then why cut the disks if they already don't play?

Just now, warwagon said:

It's a quite common thing to do. It prevents GameStop from being liable for the products. Blame stupid legalities.

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

People in need can get better use of a lot better thing than games.

What a silly argument.

well, technically homeless shelters could probably use game systems and games to help entertain people while they are stuck there... or women shelters that also house children, give them something to do during their stay

• Like 2

Sorry but all companies do this, it's nothing new especially if it can't be donated due to some contract restrictions with the vendor/publisher. (I work in retail distribution)

Gamestop's a shady company, but not because of this. This is standard for all kinds of stores. Sure, they could donate their unsellable merchandise to charity, but they don't have to. It's up to them.

Here's why I don't like Gamestop. First, the fact that we paid $5 to preorder Rockband 3, and they didn't take it out of the purchase price. So we paid $5 more to ensure we'd get a copy. Like there was any chance of it really selling out. Even Guitar Hero wasn't selling out on release day in rhythm gaming's heyday.

But the real issue is, there was a bad pressing of the Rockband 3 discs. It was widely known in the Rockband communities. Not everyone had an issue, but a lot did. When it happened to us, six days after purchase, we took it back. Not only did Gamestop refuse to swap out the game for a working copy, the cashier actually told us that corporate was aware of the bad pressing and had instructed their stores to not accept returns/exchanges.

So we went next door to Walmart and made like it was a gift. They clammed up and were about to refuse us until we made it clear we didn't want a refund... just a working copy. Even exchange, one for the other. I'm sure most retailers can send back defective merchandise and be compensated 100% for it. Gamestop just didn't want to deal with it. I almost feel bad for using Walmart, but we didn't gain anything we didn't pay for.

Year later, we won a signed copy at a tournament. Or rather my wife and her band did. I wasn't involved in that. We gave the Walmart exchanged copy to her sister, and now we have the signed one. And haven't played it in about a year and a half, and we held onto that fad a lot longer than most.

And Gamestop offered us 25¢ for a new copy of Guitar Hero 3. Sure, I paid only $5 for the game plus guitar at Family Dollar. Painted the guitar for my niece's 6th birthday. Looked good, too. She got a pink Guitar Hero guitar with a white strum guard (so, stock, but covered with clear coat) and a silver neck. Taped off the head, so it was still black, for her 6th birthday. Thought we'd try to sell off the extra disc, since we already had the game and so did our niece's dad. So not too mad, but I know they do gamers dirty like that all the time.

If I heard about a Gamestop being robbed, I'd grin for a minute, but I'd be worried about the employees. They're generally good people. But that company can otherwise die in a fire.

On 7.2.2016 at 7:28 PM, warwagon said:

IT could be th same thing they do with books.

unsold inventory after thebig rush is over and they have to many. they rip of the cover and return it to the publisher for a refund, while the books themselves go in the trash. I'm guessing they return the covers or something and cut the discs, or simply cut the discs as instructed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Working in an engineering field we mark, scratch or cut the cables of defective boards, tools and equipment so no one will try use them.

Example if a electric drill was faulty we would cut the cord so no one would pick it up and try connect it into power (If it has no cord to connect into power no one will try to connect it, otherwise someone might not know it is damaged and try connect it in). Or if a board is faulty they could install it into a system and waste maybe several hours so we mark everything or cut the cords as stickers and tags can come off fairly easily and this is the most used method to mark that something is faulty.

For a store like Gamestop they could sell a faulty game or gaming peripheral if its not marked, scratched or cables are cut so it is possible Gamestop do a similar thing but we can't really speculate as all we have is a video of a guy going through a dumpster who looks like he is just after free stuff and is just upset because he can't get that.

• 1 month later...

This is just how America is. If we can't profit on something we throw it away instead of donating to those in need.

A friend of mine lived for years off Dumpster Diving for food. What he found was always fresh, and sometimes even organic. One time joined him and I found a crate of fresh portabella mushrooms in the trash... He ate better then most people.

1 hour ago, gameboy1977 said:

there is another exposed video about this Gamestop. Don't you agree with that one?

I agree the two dudes are annoying as heck.  Ol' dude laughs like....

Who cares what Gamestop does with their own games?  How is this affecting you?

/sigh.  First world problems.

• Like 1