PS4 Media Player output stereo

So i have my PS4 to output 5.1 for my surround sound system but when i want to watch tv shows or movies with only 2 channel output the PS4 outputs stereo over 5.1.

Is there any way to make it output only 2 channel when the media is stereo? Then i would be able to make my AV receiver do whatever i want with the audio.

17 hours ago, red. said:

So i have my PS4 to output 5.1 for my surround sound system but when i want to watch tv shows or movies with only 2 channel output the PS4 outputs stereo over 5.1.

Is there any way to make it output only 2 channel when the media is stereo? Then i would be able to make my AV receiver do whatever i want with the audio.

Are you sure it's not your receiver that is converting to 5.1? 

No, i can see the input signal and it's coming in as 5.1 but i can only hear through the left + right speakers.

Playing something like this works fine on the PS3 but the PS4 seems to be working differently.

29 minutes ago, red. said:

No, i can see the input signal and it's coming in as 5.1 but i can only hear through the left + right speakers.

Playing something like this works fine on the PS3 but the PS4 seems to be working differently.

I wouldn't worry much then if the other speakers are 100% silent. Out of interest what is your PS4 set at under audio? PCM or Bitstream?

On 07/02/2016 at 7:09 PM, Audioboxer said:

I wouldn't worry much then if the other speakers are 100% silent. Out of interest what is your PS4 set at under audio? PCM or Bitstream?

I've set it to PCM. Mainly because i saw a reddit post advising people to do that :laugh:

1 hour ago, red. said:

I've set it to PCM. Mainly because i saw a reddit post advising people to do that :laugh:

PCM means PS4 doing decoding and passing to sound system. For now try bistream DTS and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, seems like it was something to do with the order i turned things on. If i turned my receiver on after the PS4 then it works ok and the input signal shows correctly as stereo. If i do it the other way round, the input signal ends up as 5.1.