Time for an upgrade...

Well... This rig has done me well for nearly six years...

Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz at 3.2Ghz

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 (Rev 2)

6GB RAM

2 x ATI 5870 XFX XXX Edition

(Upgrade two years ago)... Samsung 128GB SSD... Plus 500Gb for games on a WD Black Edition.

Windows XP... then 7... Now 10

To be fair it is still running Fallout 4 (Medium) at 25-45FPS... But with ATI dropping all support... it's another kick to an upgrade.

So, budget of £950... what would you upgrade to (assuming I will reuse my PSU (800w), Screen 1080p and case)... 3.. 2.. 1.. go..

Was you thinking of going SLi or CrossFireX again? As you want to really go GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390 but a set of either would put you over budget you could go GTX960 or Radeon R9 380X but not really a good option for SLi or CrossFireX at that low end.

So as for the other bits

Intel Core i7 6700
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3
16GB (2x8GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 2800MHz 14-16-16-36

You could then get one GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390 or even higher and you still have a bit in your budget to get a cooler.

31 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i agree w/ PeterUK. get a 970 and one of those awesome closed-loop CPU coolers. I have a Corsair H80i, and it's been fantastic.

I can attest that this is a great little combo!

40 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i agree w/ PeterUK. get a 970 and one of those awesome closed-loop CPU coolers. I have a Corsair H80i, and it's been fantastic.

I got the Corsair H55 for my 4770k rig and it's been just great.  For a budget water cooler, I'm impressed.

As far as SLI goes, there's some older games I play that don't like SLI or games like DayZ that give inconsistent performance ( I know it's still in alpha).  I'm going back to a single card solution when I save up enough for the 980ti or one of the new cards later this year.

Now for some parts!  OP, get the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD.  2500 MBps.  Very nice!  Worth the premium I think.  Since you're running an X series MB, would you want to go X99?  That would give you a few more years of not needing to upgrade and you wouldn't be going from a quad core to a quad core.  I know, I know it's not the same IPC and all that, but for a few extra hundred pounds you'd be getting a more powerful computer that's enthusiast-class like what you're running now.  If you can, buy a bad-ass video card (980ti) to replace your X-fire setup and save up for new MB/CPU/RAM/SSD all whilst enjoying your new GPU!  I think if you're gonna spend the money on a gaming rig, buy something that's gonna last and not leave you longing for more speed or power with a brand new setup.  Also, with the X99, rumor has it all you will need to from Haswell-E to Broadwell-E is a BIOS update.  It's also supposed to bring 10 cores to the desktop.  That means a cheaper 8 core.  By the time you're done saving (if you went this route) for the new CPU/MB/RAM, Broadwell-E should be out.

^ Just something to think about.

Cheers all, watch this space... I've also heard that nVidia are due to drop an upgrade in May/June this year which would either replace the current gen or drop them down in price quite a bit... May just hang in with the current rig until then and have a look at the landscape.