Minecraft on Win7 vs Win10

its on 1.8.9 for all computers there should be no diffrence. unless you are using the minecraft built for windows 10 which is mincraft p.e. essenctially

Minecraft is the same on Windows 7 & 8 and I think its still doing snapshots for 1.9 atm.

If you are referring to the Minecraft you get from the Windows 10 app store, that's run by a different team completely and as Magoo said its the pocket edition that's been missing from windows phones/tablets stores, a side effect of UWA's is that it runs on the PC and confuses people who think its Java's replacement.

I don't play Minecraft, but from what I know they're gameplay equivalent.

The old version uses Java, has slightly different graphical features, and uses the old server layout.

The win10 version obviously doesn't use Java, has updated (though likely not significantly different) graphics code, and you can play with people without the server setup stuff.

Basically, get whichever one fits your needs.

The portable edition, usually is behind updates i think.

The version that you can buy from https://minecraft.net/ you can use mods like feed the beast and add more stuff to craft and build.

(create automatic factories and stuff like that).

I do play Minecraft, and unfortunately the different versions are not gameplay equivalent. The regular one uses Java and has the most 'features' and is developed by the (mostly) original developers. This version can be played on any PC with nearly any OS (including all versions of Windows and some versions of Linux and OSX).

The special 'Minecraft for Windows 10 Beta' is based off the mobile version and does not have all the features. However, they are working on it and there will very soon be a big update to it which adds a lot of missing things. In my experience the Windows 10 version has much better performance and it does not use Java (a big positive in my mind). However, it only runs on Windows 10, obviously but a cool thing it can do is that people playing the pocket edition on mobile devices can join the same game that Windows 10 players are in.

People playing PE or the Windows 10 version cannot join Minecraft dedicated servers or anyone playing the standard Java game. Maybe this will be possible some day but I doubt it.

The Java version isn't 'old' :p its the main branch, it can join any server with hundreds of players and host locally, aren't the P.E editions limited to p2p hosting and only a few friends?

P.E editions get to pick and choose what features they get depending on platform limitations and only recently got Redstone! O_O!

I find it funny that people call the windows 10 version new.  It's based off the pocket edition (which isn't that new) and up till now didn't have all the features that the pc version has.  They just got all of the redstone working recently...and by recently I mean an upcoming release.

I don't see MS dropping the truly universal multi-platform version in favour of the w10 limited 'universal' version any time soon. :p

The Java version has almost 7 years of community behind it and many of those years the game has been influenced by the modding community, the devs of the w10 P.E version said they have no plans of adding modding yet or even know what language it should be in. :|

• Like 1