Windows server 2000 server not seeing windows 10 device

Okay so I had a friend call me with an issue.  He's running windows server 2000. There is no username or passwords required from any computer hooked into it.  He has a windows 10 laptop that haday been working fine.  Then today he powered up and he can see the server, but it now prompts him for a password and it never did before. He says they run other PCs with Windows 10 with no issues and his ran with no issues until today.  He's never set a username and password for the server. 

Neither of us graduated from MIT lol so layman's terms would be awesome. 

Thanks

This article should help you:

The Windows 2000 security model is based on the Microsoft Windows NT security model. This security model requires a user name and password before access to the computer is granted.

The Windows 2000 security model is different from the Windows 95/98 security model in that no authentication is required to obtain access to a computer running Windows 95/98. Users who upgrade from Windows 95/98 to Windows 2000 Professional may not be aware of these differences.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/258289

Your friend should upgrade the server to run at least Windows Server 2012 R2 if they are going to use a modern client operating system.  As Windows Server 2000 is no longer supported and very hard for modern software to run on it.

• Like 2

If you can log on to the computer and look at the event logs, that would be of great help.  I am guessing that the computer wanted to change the password and couldn't sync with ad being that it is too old and has lost sync with the domain.  So as I tell everyone who comes up with issues on a windows computer who gives no good information to help them troubleshoot, go to the event logs and look for errors esp around the time you booted up and logged on.  security and system event logs are a pretty good start.

• Like 2

create a new user with a password on both the windows 2k machine and on the win 10 machine (the same info on both), then log into both machines with the new account.  See if it lets you access the w2k machine, if it does then the issue is with the existing user account

- and what will need to happen is that you will need to set a password on the existing account on both the machines. Establish the connection and then you can remove the password. 

If it does not allow you to log in with the newly created account

- then the issue is most likely a firewall issue with the windows 10 machine.  In which case, the suggestion would be to recreate the user account because the firewall has corrupted the account. 

Remember even when you dont officially set up a user on a windows machine windows sets up the user for you (it could be the user name of admin or administrator or user but its there). For windows to allow access between 2 machines the account info for at least 1 account has to match exactly on both machines.  It doesn't matter if you don't ever use the matching account but that account has to be there for you to authenticate ....

I hope I kept it simple....if you have any more questions I can be reached at techgeekandmore@gmail.com 

Good Luck 

Alex 

Head of TechGeekandMore.com 

the computer account password change is the one in question, not the user account.  yes it has its own password to be in syn with active directory, this is how the computer secures itself and logs on prior to the user logging on to be able to create a secure and authorized connection.  If the computer password is out of sync from active directory, it creates a lot of issues esp with user authentication.

this is more of an issue with two computers register with ad using the same name.  but with windows 2000, I don't think computer account security is enabled by default (it is in 2003). 

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2009/02/15/machine-account-password-process-2/

• 5 weeks later...

The security in 2k is too low. The windows 10 box defaults to 128 bit. The server probably is set at 56bit.

Look at the local security policy

local policies

security options

Network Security

minimum session security for NTLM...... Both of those are 128 by default on 10. NTLMv2 possibly.

Neither will communicate with a 2k server if the same settings in the servers local or domain policy is set to 56 bit. You will have to bump the server up to NTLM and or 128 bit. Not sure if a 2k server can do NTLMv2??