Windows 10 auto app installs

I must have missed the memo, but when did Win10 start auto installing apps from the app store?  Specifically Candy Crush Saga, Flipboard, Freshpaint, and a few others?  Was setting up a few new SP4s and saw these on first logon.  I removed every extra app I could possibly remove and then a few min later, almost all of them reappeared.  Some are just links to the app store, others are installed apps.

Annoying to say the least.

Seems to have been with the release of 1511.  Have to see if they can be removed by script or GPO.  Even if you remove them they seem to come back when I new user signs in.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I must have missed the memo, but when did Win10 start auto installing apps from the app store?  Specifically Candy Crush Saga, Flipboard, Freshpaint, and a few others?  Was setting up a few new SP4s and saw these on first logon.  I removed every extra app I could possibly remove and then a few min later, almost all of them reappeared.  Some are just links to the app store, others are installed apps.

Same thing happens on the insider builds. If you uninstall things like the office and skype ads and the 3D builder app, they get reinstalled  whenever a new build is installed. Sometimes twice if you don't wait long enough before uninstalling them again.

2 minutes ago, AStalUK said:

Seems to have been with the release of 1511.  Have to see if they can be removed by script or GPO.  Even if you remove them they seem to come back when I new user signs in.

Yea, new users...apps are still there.  I found a reg hack that disabled the installs.  As well as a local policy setting that totally disables one drive usage.  Just annoying as hell.

And during the Win10 setup, there is an option to choose if this is your person or work system.  If you choose work, crap like Candy Crush Saga should not be installed as well as the XBOX app.

2 minutes ago, SharpGreen said:

Same thing happens on the insider builds. If you uninstall things like the office and skype ads and the 3D builder app, they get reinstalled  whenever a new build is installed. Sometimes twice if you don't wait long enough before uninstalling them again.

MS needs to stop this....and quick.

Just now, JHBrown said:

Welcome to Windows 10 @techbeck. Auto install without your discretion is the new policy.:yes:

Did not used to be that way.   Why I root my phone to get rid of this garbage and now MS is doing it.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Did not used to be that way.   Why I root my phone to get rid of this garbage and now MS is doing it.

They know what's best for you. Deal with it!:laugh: But really, that's terrible if this is their approach with Apps. It does that on my Lumia 635 after a factory restore. I have to delete Apps multiple times.

Been meaning to look into this for awhile as I'd like to deploy 10 to more of my desktops.  Just done a quick search and came across this, might do what's needed.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

*edit*  Also came across this; https://4sysops.com/archives/remove-provisioned-built-in-apps-in-windows-10/

Edited by AStalUK

4 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

They know what's best for you. Deal with it!:laugh: But really, that's terrible if this is their approach with Apps. It does that on my Lumia 635 after a factory restore. I have to delete Apps multiple times.

Yea, well...I miss the old MS where they didnt pull these kind of stunts.   But I guess that is part of Windows being free and the making up the costs.

3 minutes ago, AStalUK said:

Been meaning to look into this for awhile as I'd like to deploy 10 to more of my desktops.  Just done a quick search and came across this, might do what's needed.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2015/11/11/removing-windows-10-in-box-apps-during-a-task-sequence/

Cool...will have to look in to that.  Thanks for the info.

On 3/17/2016 at 2:15 PM, techbeck said:

I think this happens because the store will trigger updates for all of them, and if you uninstall while this is happening they just get reinstalled. Huge inconvenience in my opinion, I have resorted to just letting the store update all of that non-sense, then once there are no updates left I remove the apps and they don't reappear.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, techbeck said:

Post install the Store automatically updates them.  If you uninstall them while it's still getting the update they come back.

On the 1511 update they came back as if the OS was a fresh install (and went through the same process)

It is annoying, but rare enough you just uninstall them after that process and forget they exist again.

On 3/24/2016 at 6:48 PM, randomevent said:

On the 1511 update they came back as if the OS was a fresh install (and went through the same process)

1511 update did this as well as....

• ·         All my IE shortcuts were gone.  Had to recreate them

• ·         My background image, was gone.  Had to reselect it.

• ·         RSAT was gone, had to reinstall the RSAT tools.

• ·         All the preinstalled apps I removed from the start menu were back. Had to uninstall every one of them.

• ·         Windows has to reindex all my files/emails.  Nothing is searchable at the moment.

Happened on all PCS that have been updated.