Marvel and Netflix's "Luke Cage" unveils premiere date and additional characters

Marvel and Netflix is responsible for bringing darkness and grit in the streets of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the Defenders series. After rolling out "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones," the date is all set Mike Colter's "Luke Cage."

Earlier reports and rumors hinted that "Luke Cage" Season 1 could arrive in November or arrive as soon as this summer. Neither claims are true as the official Twitter account for the character has finally announced the correct premiere date.

Luke Cage is no longer a stranger to small screens for those who have watched "Jessica Jones." Much like all the heroes in the Defender's series, the indestructible "Power Man" will be getting his own solo series. "'Luke Cage' happens over some time after the 'Jessica Jones' series. He [Luke Cage] is reeling from the experience that happens in 'Jessica,' and he's trying to get himself back on track," Colter told Comic Book Resources.

Colter hinted that the series will not depart from the dark tone of "Jessica Jones" by saying that just like Jessica, Luke will have to deal with his demons too. In the same interview, he said that the MCU's version of Luke Cage will be interesting and "very unique."

Read the rest: http://en.yibada.com/articles/109466/20160316/marvel-and-netflixs-luke-cage-finally-gets-a-premiere-date.htm

Well, this will have to suffice until it officially shows up on YouTube:

Here is a better one than the one I posted earlier, but Netflix still hasn't uploaded the trailer to their official account:

• 4 months later...

I don't know, maybe it's just me, 2nd half of daredevil s2 was meh, Jessica jones I never actually finished, I'll give this and iron fist a shot but eh, I guess it doesn't help much when you're not a fan of characters or invested in them like some others.  Or maybe I just think movies are better for this than tv series, heck, daredevil s2 was, IMO, too long.

I thought Jessica Jones was fantastic, you should give it another go. Didn't care for DD season 2 either though, not sure why.

22 hours ago, George P said:

I don't know, maybe it's just me, 2nd half of daredevil s2 was meh, Jessica jones I never actually finished, I'll give this and iron fist a shot but eh, I guess it doesn't help much when you're not a fan of characters or invested in them like some others.  Or maybe I just think movies are better for this than tv series, heck, daredevil s2 was, IMO, too long.

Jessica Jones was actually brilliant, it didn't actually get good till around episode 5/6 (can't quite remember) David Tennant was incredible though

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zathras5 said:

Wasn't too sure about this show before, but it actually looks really good.

It's daredevil in a different part of new York city.    :p   Marvel really has a hardon for NYC, with all the superheros living in that one city you'd think it'd be the perfect place with ZERO crime and so on, but NOPE.

On 8/10/2016 at 0:35 PM, George P said:

It's daredevil in a different part of new York city.    :p   Marvel really has a hardon for NYC, with all the superheros living in that one city you'd think it'd be the perfect place with ZERO crime and so on, but NOPE.

Kind of hard to have something like this if all the sups are living in different parts of the country/world

4 minutes ago, mudslag said:

Kind of hard to have something like this if all the sups are living in different parts of the country/world

Except a good number of them do live in NYC, maybe not in the same part of the city but they do, you can start a list if you'd like but I bet you it'd be pretty long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good series, kept it on point and didn't spend any time whatsoever pointing a finger at "The Man" in any respects, didn't drag real world modern politics into a single episode for a single moment - it does have its own politics by nature, of course, just saying Marvel and Netflix are keeping true to the course they've set with the show and the characters. Not as much action as I had expected given the nature of Cage's abilities, it's a more cerebral drama with some pretty deeply interwoven plot lines - at least that's my take on it.

When I first heard about the series being suggested years ago I actually thought Mike Colter would be perfect in the role, he did quite well on "The Good Wife" in a supporting role for a period of time. Glad when the finally got the go for the series he was the one they had in mind too.

So far so good, it'll be nice to see what they can do with the second season as well - they dropped many hints along the way as Marvel always does.

I saw a post saying Netflix went down?  Must suck for those looking to watch this. 

9 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Though not as epic as the Jessica Jones opening theme, I quite like the Luke Cage opening.

Half way through the series and quite enjoying it so far.

Finished it a few hrs ago.  Mellow weekend.  I did enjoy Jessica Jones more...but Luke Cage is a close second.  Followed by Dare Devil.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Zathras5 said:

Edit: why did this post gargantuan.., or is it just me?

new embedding code with the IPB 4.3.1 update @Steven P. or @sheinbein could you please correct the embed sizing :)

edit: How long does Netflix hold the contract for their exclusive Marvel series'? aka How long until Disney starts ripping this content from Netflix as well?

serious question because it really leaves the future of these exclusives up in the air

If this is half as good as the first season it'll be a fun ride. Luke Cage has easily been the best Marvel/Netflix show thus far.

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

edit: How long does Netflix hold the contract for their exclusive Marvel series'? aka How long until Disney starts ripping this content from Netflix as well?

serious question because it really leaves the future of these exclusives up in the air

I don't think they can actually pull the shows completely since Netflix is actually producing them & not just paying for the right to stream. So they kind of own them... I could be wrong on that but that's my understanding from what I've read.

Just now, Zathras5 said:

I don't think they can actually pull the shows completely since Netflix is actually producing them & not just paying for the right to stream. So they kind of own them... I could be wrong on that but that's my understanding from what I've read.

I'd like to believe that but I've heard both ways depending on the source I look at. I guess it's just a waiting game to see what Disney does once they start their streaming service.

2 hours ago, DConnell said:

If this is half as good as the first season it'll be a fun ride. Luke Cage has easily been the best Marvel/Netflix show thus far.

I personally thought Season 1 snoozefest.

• Like 1

Really? I thought it was awesome. From a Season 1 standpoint, my favs in order are:

1. Daredevil

2. Luke Cage

3. Jessica Jones

4. Keeping up with the Kardashians

5. Honey Boo Boo

6. Iron Fist