Xbox 360 cant download update.

so this started back in 2016, but I never really tried to fix it since I got a ps4 a while after it started, however now I would to give the 360 to my cousin, it says a system update is available, if you decline the update you wont be able to connect to xbox live, when I click update, it says unable to install update, it then says to test my connection, when I do it connects up until the xbox live section where it says "something is preventing you from connecting with xbox live" I think its because I don't have the update. So I seem to be in a loop, I cant download the update because I cant connect to xboxlive, but I cant connect to xbox live because I don't have the update, Sorry for any spelling errors, English isn't first language

Have you tried disabling any firewalls or connecting the xbox directly to your modem? Is it wireless? Explain your network topology and how you are connecting to the internet please.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, philcruicks said:

You don't need xbox live to download consoles updates. 

When I used my 360, it wouldn't let me update ANYTHING without being signed in. Maybe they've fixed that, I haven't touched my XBOX 360 Elite since like 2010, :(

1 minute ago, BinaryData said:

When I used my 360, it wouldn't let me update ANYTHING without being signed in. Maybe they've fixed that, I haven't touched my XBOX 360 Elite since like 2010, :(

Signed in, or signed in with Gold? maybe I misunderstood your 1st post.

Yes you do need to be signed in with an Xbox Silver account, but anyone with an xbox should have that by default, you don't need to have an active gold subscription.