Help! Sound Jumping.

I am getting sound popping when the computer does anything intensive (even just copying a file).

Specs are:

Athlon 1.4Ghz

512Mb PC133 SDRAM

40Gb Seagate HDD ATA100

ASUS A7V133 Mobo.

Windows XP MSDN Version from the 6in1

Using Default XP Drivers.

Originally posted by MxxCon

upgrade sound/video drivers

make sure that video and sound use differnt DMA channels

I have looked and noticed that the Sound and Video Cards are using the same IRQ (9). I went to change it but can't. THe option to be able to change them are greyed out on both and even under the Administrator account.

Can anyone help me try to get one of them changed?

PLEASE!!!

That doesn't help either. Windows Sets the IRQ. And WIndows is not allowing me to change it not only on tyhe sound card but on ANY device.

If I can fix it to be able to change the settings then I will have no problem changing it.

After Windows2000/XP install, you cannot change the IRQ's of any system device if the system is using ACPI.

The only way to change IRQ's is to change the HAL from ACPI to APM (Standard PC) and then select the IRQ's in BIOS for the different slots.

That's all . . .

Originally posted by JustinLerner  

After Windows2000/XP install, you cannot change the IRQ's of any system device if the system is using ACPI.

The only way to change IRQ's is to change the HAL from ACPI to APM (Standard PC) and then select the IRQ's in BIOS for the different slots.

That's all . . .

Now that sounds like I am getting somewhere. One little problem. How do I change that?

Although Microsoft now posts this FAQ, I have not had problems converting from ACPI to APM.  

Look at this link and previous post to find your answers.

http://neowin.net/bboard/showthread.php?threadid=11397

My computer Did fail and did require installation after that.

any other way to over ride the IRQ settings? Is there a way in the registry maybe?

Hey sorry to hear that.

1. Before you reinstall, set the mainboard BIOS to APM not ACPI.

2. Second, install the Windows 2000/XP from the CD (you must do it from the CD for Windows 2000), press the F5 when you first see the following option for alternate SCSI drivers:

Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

Pressing F5 allows you to manually choose the appropriate HAL when reinstalling the OS (of course the motherboard BIOS must already be set to APM if you want to be able to change the IRQ's around in the BIOS and also change the slots they use - which also affects their BIOS settings.) Pressing F7 instead of F5 causes Windows setup to autodetect the PC type.

Select the Standard PC type if you don't want ACPI and want to change IRQ's around.

Originally posted by eangulus  

I am getting sound popping when the computer does anything intensive (even just copying a file).

There can be many other reasons for 'popping' noises on your sound card/speakers when your computer does anything intensive. For example, even moving your mouse.

Since most speaker audio cables (1/8 stereo mini-jacks) are unshielded, if your audio cable is near a serial cable, mouse cable, you may experience noice in your speakers.

If your CD player is playing and you hear noise, internally, your CD to sound card cable may be close to a noisy interface (probably noisier than it should be electronically) Since the cable from CD to sound card is twisted to eliminate noise, if its untwisted too much (like two wires parallel instead of 'braided') you may also experience some noise.

Additionally, your sound card may be of low quality or have electronic problems or your Power Supply may be noisy causing electronic interference with the sound card . . . shall I go on?

There are many things it could be. The way you test is by doing one thing and seeing if there is a result. Like moving your mouse/keyboard/serial cables away from your speaker cable. Also, make sure your speaker cable is not wound up, twisted around the other cables . . .etc.

Popping rarely comes from an IRQ conflict, but may come from an older sound card that is not capable of handling multiple voices and sounds.

There can be many other reasons for 'popping' noises on your sound card/speakers when your computer does anything intensive.  For example, even moving your mouse.  

Since most speaker audio cables (1/8 stereo mini-jacks) are unshielded, if your audio cable is near a serial cable, mouse cable, you may experience noice in your speakers.  

If your CD player is playing and you hear noise, internally, your CD to sound card cable may be close to a noisy interface (probably noisier than it should be electronically)  Since the cable from CD to sound card is twisted to eliminate noise, if its untwisted too much (like two wires parallel instead of 'braided') you may also experience some noise.  

Additionally, your sound card may be of low quality or have electronic problems or your Power Supply may be noisy causing electronic interference with the sound card . . .  shall I go on?  

There are many things it could be.  The way you test is by doing one thing and seeing if there is a result.  Like moving your mouse/keyboard/serial cables away from your speaker cable.  Also, make sure your speaker cable is not wound up, twisted around the other cables . . .etc.  

Popping rarely comes from an IRQ conflict, but may come from an older sound card that is not capable of handling multiple voices and sounds.

Sorry to dissapoint you but my current board, power, sound and everything else have been working 100% ok over the last 3 - 4 months. My card is a Creative Live, and does have sheilded audio cables. It is also a full tower case meaning the ps is far away from the sound card and I don't use CD's for audio.

THe issue is definetly the IRQ settings. For starters this only happened when I reinstalled windows xp from a 6in1 disk. previously I was using the devilsown and now using the MSDN version. Previosly the sound was using IRQ5 wich was never shared with anything else. Now it uses IRQ9 wich s shared with the Viseo, Network Card, Promise COntroller (my HDD is on), USB COntrollers and the like.

All I need is to be able to somehow change the IRQ settings. I have tried using the APM instead of ACPI but I also cannot set the motherboard not to use ACPI. Its an ASUS A7V133 board and I cannot find the setting anywhere.

Originally posted by eangulus  

Sorry to dissapoint you . . . the ps is far away from the sound card and I don't use CD's for audio.

THe issue is definetly the IRQ settings. For starters this only happened when I reinstalled windows xp from a 6in1 disk. . .

All I need is to be able to somehow change the IRQ settings. I have tried using the APM instead of ACPI but I also cannot set the motherboard not to use ACPI. Its an ASUS A7V133 board and I cannot find the setting anywhere.

Although I'm sure your problems occurred around the time you say, sometimes just a little check for something simple can alleviate a lot of headaches, even if you don't think the symptoms correlate to the suspected problem. In your case, I still recommend checking and rearranging your cables (why argue with something simple - this is part of troubleshooting. There is a basic principle of troubleshooting which is to check and attempt the easiest yet possible contributing problems first. Double check them even if you think they are good.) The proximity of the power supply to other components has nothing to do with potential electronic noise generated by the ps. The ps feeds every component in the system.

BTW, cables are not the same as sound cards, and although manufacturers claim their audio cables are shielded, they are not shielded like coaxial cables or STP with foil shielding. Most speaker cables do not have real 'shielding' even though they claim to be shielded - they can easily pick up electronic noise. I would not be disappointed if that was the problem, but I guess you would, since it's your PC and that would be too easy for a real fix.

I notice the A7V133 manual also tells you to disable the onboard audio codec when you use an external (Soundblaster Live) soundcard. Make sure this is disabled. (Yeah I know you think it was already right, but remember to recheck even if you think it's right. This is the process of troubleshooting. Eliminating the unknowns and 'known' assumptions by rechecking !!!!!)

Contact ASUS and tell the jokers that there should be an APM or ACPI option in the BIOS setup or ask them how to set the board to APM. I don't see it in their manual. Apparently they think the OS will autodetect the correct type of installtion, either APM or ACPI. I also notice that yes, IRQ 9 is used for everything in ACPI on your board (my motherboard doesn't do this, but then it's a a BX chipset '98 board with the option for APM, ACPI, or neither by another manufacturer.) There is also an IRQ sharing/map for your board that should be useful when and if you decide to reinstall the OS with APM.

Once again you can manually select the HAL for the OS during the XP/2000 setup by pressing F5 instead of F6 and then selecting Standard PC, not Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC -- try it!

If you can't avoid ACPI, try changing the boot order of some drivers in console mode.

If you have multiple NIC's, try setting netdetect to AUTO, not MANUAL (DEMAND in console mode).

Also, try changing sysaudio to AUTO and the WDM Audio driver for your Sounblaster to AUTO also.

I believe normally all three are set to DEMAND which displays as Manual in the WINMSD --> Software Environment --> Drivers.