Help selecting new laptop for girlfriend

Synaptics is usually decent, but it's not even as simple as that. Based on the reviews that I've read, some Dell machines are equipped with Precision touchpads, but the custom Dell drivers destroy the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so i've finally figured out which computer i'm buying for my girlfriend.

I've opted for the ASUS Zenbook Flip UX360CA

So far the only complaint i read about it was that it has no backlit keyboard which is no real issue for her.

No mention of the touch screen not working after waking up from sleep, like the UX305CA.

Now for my last decision, where should i buy it? Amazon or the MS store.

The MS store is $50 cheaper and i get a signature install which is nice, but i have to ask a friend to buy it for me, since i don't have a USA CC.

On Amazon the HD is twice the size and i can buy it myself.

Does anybody have any recommendations on purchasing from either one? Mainly in case something would be wrong with the PC. Who would give better customer service?  I've chatted to both Amazon and MS before and MS customer serivce is never very friendly or knowledgeable. Amazon seems at least much nicer.

Any extra input would be appreciated

Amazon.

(in my personal experience) The MS store reps that I've chatted with on the site and phoned to talk to seem to be clueless. One of them made up an answer to one of my questions, so the service strikes me as completely untrustworthy.

OTOH, if you're simply returning a device, that process appears to be entirely automated and you wouldn't need to talk to anyone.

4 minutes ago, zhangm said:

Amazon.

(in my personal experience) The MS store reps that I've chatted with on the site and phoned to talk to seem to be clueless. One of them made up an answer to one of my questions, so the service strikes me as completely untrustworthy.

OTOH, if you're simply returning a device, that process appears to be entirely automated and you wouldn't need to talk to anyone.

I'm asking because i live in Honduras so will have to ship the computer over here,

I'm just wondering who will help me out most if something would be wrong with the computer. I realize it will be my job to get the pc back in the states but once there who will give me the best customer service sorting my problem out.

On 7/5/2016 at 3:29 PM, Stoffel said:

I'm asking because i live in Honduras so will have to ship the computer over here,

I'm just wondering who will help me out most if something would be wrong with the computer. I realize it will be my job to get the pc back in the states but once there who will give me the best customer service sorting my problem out.

Logically, your friend's offer puts Newegg back into play for you.

Also Dell does Honduras:

http://www.dell.com/hn/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

If you plan on staying in Honduras for a while, you can get state of the art tech with support. In the long run, that could provide more value even if the up-front cost is a bit more.

"Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer"

For some, they might picture endless sand, palm trees, warm ocean breezes, drinks with umbrellas, etc

For me, I picture skin fried the color of lobster and I'm that 1 guy blown into the ocean every 2 years by a hurricane to be eaten by sharks.

Please give me air conditioning and a room full of LCD monitors. :)

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Logically, your friend's offer puts Newegg back into play for you.

Also Dell does Honduras:

http://www.dell.com/hn/p/xps-13-9350-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

If you plan on staying in Honduras for a while, you can get state of the art tech with support. In the long run, that could provide more value even if the up-front cost is a bit more.

Thanks for the info, but those prices are a bit above my budget at the moment.

I ended up ordering the ASUS Zenbook Flip UX360CA from the Microsoft Store through a friend.

After some research i found out it comes with a year of Accidental Damage Protection from ASUS itself. And by ordering from MS you have a signature edition without any of the crapware.

If something goes wrong with the laptop we have enough people going back and forth to the USA. Once it's there ASUS should take care of the rest. I have more faith in US customer service than Honduran customer service

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

"Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer"

For some, they might picture endless sand, palm trees, warm ocean breezes, drinks with umbrellas, etc

For me, I picture skin fried the color of lobster and I'm that 1 guy blown into the ocean every 2 years by a hurricane to be eaten by sharks.

Please give me air conditioning and a room full of LCD monitors. :)

That quote came from the decision to make a big life change. I went from being a Computer consultant in Belgium to being a scuba dive instructor in Honduras about 10 years ago :)

Not meant to be offending to people who do not like the beach ;) 

3 minutes ago, Stoffel said:

Thanks for the info, but those prices are a bit above my budget at the moment.

I ended up ordering the ASUS Zenbook Flip UX360CA from the Microsoft Store through a friend.

After some research i found out it comes with a year of Accidental Damage Protection from ASUS itself. And by ordering from MS you have a signature edition without any of the crapware.

If something goes wrong with the laptop we have enough people going back and forth to the USA. Once it's there ASUS should take care of the rest. I have more faith in US customer service than Honduran customer service

If you get a chance, it would be interesting to read your impressions of the ASUS when it arrives.

2 minutes ago, Stoffel said:

That quote came from the decision to make a big life change. I went from being a Computer consultant in Belgium to being a scuba dive instructor in Honduras about 10 years ago :)

Not meant to be offending to people who do not like the beach ;) 

Nothing offensive about your preferences! Everybody has different likes and dislikes. I really enjoy the beach for about 30 minutes every 2 years....

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

If you get a chance, it would be interesting to read your impressions of the ASUS when it arrives.

I will keep you updated.

When I evaluate this laptop it will be with what my girlfriend will be doing with it in mind though.

She is not a "power" user. She will be using it for browsing, some light office work, watching videos in low resolution (because our internet sucks)

and some light gaming.

If it can do that with about 8 or 9 hours of battery life i'm happy