Problem with WD1000XL HD...

I recently purchased a WD1000XL 100GB HD, and the first thing I did when I got it was to format it in NTFS, and then I instantly started downloading tons and tons of things... What I noticed was that whatever I downloaded was split into like 9000000 fragments, getting the HD VERY fragmented, which is not supposed to happen with NTFS..

A few days after that, I got another weird thing to happen... almost every .RAR, .r01, .r02, etc. etc. I download goes instantly corrupt.

Does anybody know what the causes of this fragmentation and/or corruption is? I think it's a Windows XP related problem, and that's why I postede it in this forum..

Note that everything works just fine on my secondary 15GB NTFS HD. Meaning I get very little fragmentation and no corruption at all.

Thx..

• 3 weeks later...

if you are downloading using morpheus it will happen no matter what the file system. since morpheus uses multiple streams the data is scattered as it is downloaded because it must be combined when the download compltest. just use a defragger like diskkeeper and it wil be fine