EU positives for UK

I'd just like to know what people think are, or were, the positives of staying in the EU are please.

Just a few bullet points will do.

Thanks'

3 minutes ago, SIE said:

I hoping you missed the /s lol

No, I did not. It seems that the borders in France and Brussels are not that secure.

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

No, I did not. It seems that the borders in France and Brussels are not that secure.

Sorry mate I don't get what you mean, do you mean borders will be more secure outside the EU?

21 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Yes

But he was asking for positives of staying in the EU.

In an ideal world, yes our borders should be more secure after leaving.  But I have my doubts about this.  As it is now, asylum seekers should claim asylum in the first safe country they land in, but this does not happen and they cannot be forced to do so.  This is why so many end up in France trying to get to the UK.  And we cannot just send them back to France after they have arrived here.

Out of the EU, you would hope that when they arrive here (usually without any papers), we can send them back to France, Spain etc. and let that country help them.

But I doubt this will be the case.

Edited by metallithrax

26 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

But he was asking for positives of staying in the EU.

In an ideal world, yes our borders should be more secure after leaving.  But I have my doubts about this.  As it is now, asylum seekers should claim asylum in the first safe country they land in, but this does not happen and they cannot be forced to do so.  This is why so many end up in France trying to get to the UK.  And we cannot just send them back to France after they have arrived here.

Out of the EU, you would hope that when they arrive here (usually without any papers), we can send them back to France, Spain etc. and let that country help them.

But I doubt this will be the case.

Ah Ha, that is what I get for replying from the mini-spy.  So staying in the EU would have no positives as far as security goes. But from what I have read they want a do over..

BREXIT REMORSE? Lawmaker wants UK vote voided as millions sign petition for second EU referendum

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Ah Ha, that is what I get for replying from the mini-spy.  So staying in the EU would have no positives as far as security goes. But from what I have read they want a do over..

BREXIT REMORSE? Lawmaker wants UK vote voided as millions sign petition for second EU referendum

Well, Parliament could vote against leaving, but to do so would (in my opinion) create a lot more problems than going with the public vote.

The petition is pointless, as you cannot change the rules of a vote after the vote has taken place.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2016 at 11:19 PM, metallithrax said:

Well, Parliament could vote against leaving, but to do so would (in my opinion) create a lot more problems than going with the public vote.

The petition is pointless, as you cannot change the rules of a vote after the vote has taken place.

"Waaahhhhhhhhh! We lost! We want another vote!" lol

• Like 1

On 25/6/2016 at 3:02 PM, Crisp said:

- Free data roaming

- No import fees on eBay purchases from EU countries

Stuff I can live without.

Isn't the UK going to sign some treaty to maintain that, as well as free circulation ?

• Like 1

Working time directive.

Legal and human rights.

Free trade and removal of non-tariff barriers.

Structural and cohesion Funds.

Competition policy.

A seat and say at the table.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ManMountain said:

Working time directive.

Legal and human rights.

Competition policy.

explain a bit?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ManMountain said:

Working time directive.

Legal and human rights.

Competition policy.

Ah, some sense. We'll be joining you up there in a while!

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

explain a bit?

The rights we have in the UK (at present) were put in place as those directed by the EU.  Doesn't mean we can't have similar under our own steam, but you can be sure that they won't be quite as favourable.

3 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

The rights we have in the UK (at present) were put in place as those directed by the EU.  Doesn't mean we can't have similar under our own steam, but you can be sure that they won't be quite as favourable.

Quite as favorable as opposed to what you have now :huh: then why brexit!

8 hours ago, TrickyDickie said:

"Waaahhhhhhhhh! We lost! We want another vote!" lol

Waaaaaaaah, we didn't actually understand the vote, but voted off the back of what we had heard - but now it comes down to it, we're not actually committed to what we voted for.  Crap.  What do we do?  Blame the media for misleading us?  Blame the tactically worded vote for misguiding us?

Whatever outcome we had - I dislike referendums.  They give the impression that the public has a say, but the outcome was predetermined.

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Quite as favorable as opposed to what you have now :huh: then why brexit!

Trust me, I voted remain.  Nothing against those who voted to leave, that's their call and staying was mine.  My agenda lost, not gonna whine.

• Like 1