Steam game shortcuts not working from the desktop

All of my installed steam games have quit working via the shortcut from the desktop. They all show (game name).url with the steam icon as opposed to the game icon. I just uninstalled steam completely and reinstalled it, and it is still doing the same thing it was before. Does anyone know how to correct this issue?

steam.PNG

Have you tried deleting the shortcuts and recreating them from right clicking a game in the library?

4 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

.url? That's odd, my shortcuts don't do that. How are you creating the shortcuts?

All Steam shortcuts are URL's most of us probably just have extensions hidden, this is a link to Fallout 4 "steam://rungameid/377160" you can launch your games from a browser if you really wanted too. :p 

Have you tried recreating them?  Right clicking on the game in Steam and selecting "Create Desktop Shortcut" ?

What does the URL say in the shortcut ... should be something like ....

steam://rungameid/205100

Any error message when you attempt to launch the game via the desktop shortcut?

Also, maybe this ?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2087-MZES-9065

9 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

Have you tried deleting the shortcuts and recreating them from right clicking a game in the library?

Yes, forgot to mention that

9 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

.url? That's odd, my shortcuts don't do that. How are you creating the shortcuts?

That is how steam creates the shortcut. I'm beginning to think that my file type associations are screwed up because I have had to restore file association with zip, rar and images 

3 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Have you tried recreating them?  Right clicking on the game in Steam and selecting "Create Desktop Shortcut" ?

What does the URL say in the shortcut ... should be something like ....

steam://rungameid/205100

Any error message when you attempt to launch the game via the desktop shortcut?

When I double click the shortcut it opens steam, not the game, this is what the properties look like:

steam 2.PNG

10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

When I double click the shortcut it opens steam, not the game, this is what the properties look like:

steam 2.PNG

Strange there should be a "Web Document" tab that shows the "steam://....." protocol

Mine doesn't say anything about opening with "Steam Client Bootstrap" maybe restore .url to default and see what "steam://" is set too?

hmmm...dunno why you're missing the "Web Document" tab.  If the link Doli posted didn't work...

You could always go to your SteamLibrary\steamapps\common folder ... find the games executable and create a shortcut.  That will launch Steam (if not already launched) and the game.

50 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

hmmm...dunno why you're missing the "Web Document" tab.  If the link Doli posted didn't work...

You could always go to your SteamLibrary\steamapps\common folder ... find the games executable and create a shortcut.  That will launch Steam (if not already launched) and the game.

That's what I ended up doing, despite running the repair on steam, and doing the registry modifications, it still does not want to work with the shortcuts created by steam.

• sc302 locked this topic