Can't play steam games on my notebook

For some reason I am uanble to play games via Steam on my notebook.

The specs, see sig, but bascially Core i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz with 2 GB GeForce GT 750M and 16 GB RAM

The games are e.g. Civ 5, Rise of Nations.

In the configuration panel I have set this GT 750 M in PhysX config and 3D settings to default. No success.

What can be the case that I can't play these games? Any other config settings? Is it Windows 10? Will the Ann. Update bring more light to playing?

Or is my notebook just "under par" for playing these games (strange, because my girlfriend's notebook with less specs can play these games, also on Win 10)?

I think xendrome might have the issue figured although those games should run OK on the Intel GPU in a 4700HQ

Things to check:

1. BIOS has both GPU enabled. to

2. Go to Intel.com and download latest GPU driver and install it.

3. Go to GeForce.com and download the latest GPU driver and install it.

4. after both drivers are installed, you should have a right-click menu option to select which GPU to run any application with.

My notebook is plugged in into the wall.

Have latest drivers of Intel and nvidia

Cannot find a BIOS setting for GPU enabling. Is it in the BIOS that I cannot find it?

Games can still not run on notebook.

I have resetted the nvidia settings back to 'default' and changed afterwards the 'global settings' to 'high performance NVIDIA processor'

The PhysX settings are on auto-select.

I have no setting whatsoever regarding GPU, besides the default size (64, 128, 256 or 512 MB).

The strange thing is... in Civ5 etc the intro is playing and displayed on screen. But when it goes down to actually playing the game, there's just a black screen...

6 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

My notebook is plugged in into the wall.

Have latest drivers of Intel and nvidia

Cannot find a BIOS setting for GPU enabling. Is it in the BIOS that I cannot find it?

Games can still not run on notebook.

I have resetted the nvidia settings back to 'default' and changed afterwards the 'global settings' to 'high performance NVIDIA processor'

The PhysX settings are on auto-select.

The odd thing to me is that your games should run just fine on the Intel GPU even if your 750 wasn't being detected right.

The black screen thing is what used to happen on really old Intel drivers.

Try device manager and check the version of Intel and NVIDIA installed drivers. Sometimes Windows gets confused and auto-updates some old Microsoft driver after you install the latest manufacturer drivers.

5 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I have no setting whatsoever regarding GPU, besides the default size (64, 128, 256 or 512 MB).

The strange thing is... in Civ5 etc the intro is playing and displayed on screen. But when it goes down to actually playing the game, there's just a black screen...

Are you giving the Intel GPU the full 512meg? If not, that might explain the black screen.

I am hypothesizing a dual issue here.

ISSUE 1 - Laptop can't seem to make the switch to the 750 when required.

ISSUE 2 - Although of course you want to run the games on the 750, the Intel GPU should still be functional as well since it is the default for general usage of 3D acceleration in web browsers etc for the sake of battery life and it needs to be just as robust as the 750 in daily use.

I think it's more an Optimus-Windows 10 thingy (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/1/)

And from what I've read on this thread is that Microsoft and nvidia have to figure this one out..... no 'real' solutions are mentioned here.

Maybe in the Ann. Update things will be better hopefully.......

5 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I think it's more an Optimus-Windows 10 thingy (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/1/)

And from what I've read on this thread is that Microsoft and nvidia have to figure this one out..... no 'real' solutions are mentioned here.

Maybe in the Ann. Update things will be better hopefully.......

I just performed a test on my laptop

(6700HQ, Intel 530 GPU, NVIDIA 960M)

I used Minecraft for test #1 since it is the only game on the laptop right now. I don't mind installing a "larger" game later on if it provides more info.

Right click on my launcher (MultiMC) icon, select "run with graphics processor" -> "integrated graphics"

Then I launch Minecraft.

Looking at java.exe in the Windows 10 Resource Monitor, I see that it is using a bunch of DLL's starting with "ig" which is the Intel device driver.

Close Minecraft and Launcher.

Right click on my launcher (MultiMC) icon, select "run with graphics processor" -> "High Performance NVIDIA Processor"

Looking at java.exe in the Windows 10 Resource Monitor, I see that it is using a bunch of DLL's starting with "nv" which is the NVIDIA device driver.

Minecraft runs with zero glitches on either GPU, rendering far distance much faster with NVIDIA, but very playable on Intel.

End of test #1

---------------------------------

The objective is to get your laptop to exhibit the same behavior.

Clearly Microsoft and NVIDIA and Intel actually do have this stuff figured out.

My Intel driver is dated March 2016

NVIDA is June 2016

Thx for testing.

However, the strange thing is that some games are working/playable and other aren't on Steam.

e.g. on Steam: Rise of Nations Extended Edition & Civ5 won't play, but 'This was of mine' does. And I remember UT3: Black Edition was playable as well....

37 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Thx for testing.

However, the strange thing is that some games are working/playable and other aren't on Steam.

e.g. on Steam: Rise of Nations Extended Edition & Civ5 won't play, but 'This was of mine' does. And I remember UT3: Black Edition was playable as well....

I don't have Steam on any computer. In the past it was like a virus that wanted to turn my computers into flaky things that crash but I would imagine that the software must have improved by now. Still, I don't think I want to personally install Steam just to test the hypothesis that we have Steam issues (would not surprise me)

Considering that a huge chunk of Steam users have Windows 10 (45% according to today's news on Neowin) I would have to imagine that Gabe's dislike of Windows 10 doesn't prevent him from fixing issues connected with 10.

Perhaps those games that don't run need update patches that they don't automatically get via Steam? You could check the game sites for updates. Or since you own the games it would seem legal to acquire a stand-alone version from the usual internet sources to temporarily install to run as a test to point the finger at Steam or not.

You could also right-click on the exe file for the game and try running it in compatibility mode for Win 7 or XP.

On 7/3/2016 at 9:14 PM, DevTech said:

You could also right-click on the exe file for the game and try running it in compatibility mode for Win 7 or XP.

The shortcut on my desktop for the Steam games doesn't give this option...

21 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

create a manual shortcut to steam game, ie. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead.exe" and run in compatibility mode (left4dead.exe)

also, try to reinstall directx 9.0c june 2010 redistributable and visual c++ 2008 redistributable.

9 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Can you confirm that the option exists in a normal shortcut or when clicking on a normal exe file? If the menu option does not exist then one or both of the video drivers did not install correctly...

It doesn't show on the game shortcut.

It does show on Steam-shortcut.

When enabling Steam for Win7, RoN stops running under Steam.

Steam likes to add the Steam overlay to all the games it launches, maybe disabling the overlay will help?

On 7/8/2016 at 2:25 PM, kiddingguy said:

If you right-click on Steam and select NVIDIA, then all the games launched from Steam should then in theory use NVIDIA.

But I don't know anything about how the Steam launcher works. If it launches the game in a separate process then maybe Steam has to pass in that setting as part of the launch. Maybe there is a Steam setting that can control this.

Also it's just a random thought but there is a Windows setting to default to launching new explorer windows in a separate process so check you have that turned off in case it interferes with the GFX hand-off.

I need to read a technical paper on how this works. Is Intel installing those menu options? Where is the code sitting that handles this switch etc. I don't mind looking into this from time to time if you keep reminding me since I have this dual GFX thing on my computer as well and would like to know how it works. For me, I would like to find out how to make NVIDIA the default for normal Windows Desktop since I can see graphics artifacts when scrolling web pages and other oddities that I just know is coming from weak crappy Intel GPU but for mobile use with battery, I can live with it. I know there is a global default setting to prefer NVIDIA but from the GPU glitches, I can see it is being ignored for Windows 2D desktop display.

In fact it is annoying that all modern GPUs throttle down their clocks for 2D, and I didn't pay for 1997 performance! And you can see 2D lagging with multiple hi-res displays... But that's another topic since all Windows computers exhibit this annoying issue if stressed in the right way, and the solution is so simple - make a user setting to run 2D at full speed.

On 7/8/2016 at 2:25 PM, kiddingguy said:

I just installed the latest NVIDIA driver 368.69 and it adds a little pop-up window that shows which programs are running with the NVIDIA GPU.

That should make diagnosing things a bit easier.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:13 PM, DevTech said:

I just installed the latest NVIDIA driver 368.69 and it adds a little pop-up window that shows which programs are running with the NVIDIA GPU.

That should make diagnosing things a bit easier.

where do you see this pop-up window?

20 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

where do you see this pop-up window?

Settings for my systray area is "display every freakin icon you got baby" so I noticed a new icon in the taskbar right after the install.

(ok the count is up to 23 so I will have to review my decision on that setting when it hits 30, but some of them are cute like Panda Bears)

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Settings for my systray area is "display every freakin icon you got baby" so I noticed a new icon in the taskbar right after the install.

(ok the count is up to 23 so I will have to review my decision on that setting when it hits 30, but some of them are cute like Panda Bears)

I only have the NVIDIA settings icon related to nvidia.

Which mobile GPU do yo have? I have the 750M.

12 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I only have the NVIDIA settings icon related to nvidia.

Which mobile GPU do yo have? I have the 750M.

960M

368.69 driver

did you hit the icon that shows you all the non visible ones? it looks like a litlle screen with a red top/green bottom