Network issue after rebooting

Not sure if anyone can help me with this, but I figured I would try.

We run a small domain at my business - Windows Server 2008 R2 and 3 workstations (2 with Windows 8 and 1 with Windows 10).

Everything was working fine until the power company came and told me they had to turn off the power for some work. I went and properly shut down the server and workstations. After they turned on the power, I turned everything back on and logged in like always.

Ever since that reboot, I have been having an annoying internet issue. At seemingly random times when I go to any website, it will take a long time and then give me a message that it couldn't find the server. After clicking retry 3-4 times it will connect and work fine for a while.

This is extremely annoying when I am trying to get work done, especially when I am trying to order a lot of goods and I get that message.

I use static IP's for the workstations. The server address is 192.168.10.2. I have the preferred DNS server on the workstations set to that and default gateway set to 192.168.10.1 (cable modem). This configuration has worked fine for years.

Why would a simple reboot cause my internet to stop functioning properly?

On a side note, I use some industry software that uses a SQL database which is located on my Windows server. I am also getting random connection errors with that and have to close and re-open it to get it working again.

I had this same issue once upon a time and I also run Win Server 2008 with 3 thin clients which uses Point of Sale Software which uses SQL.  We had a power outage and I had similar issues.  I rebooted the Modem, Router and the switch, then ran this batch file : After all this it fixed my issues.

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Ipconfig /flushdns
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll 
regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

If you are running a domain then your primary DNS should be the server (as the DNS will be integrated with the active directory) and the server should have itself set as the primary DNS, then your ISP DNS set as secondary) you may also need to setup DNS forwarders on the server to point to your ISP DNS, then maybe also googles DNS 8.8.8.8.

If you are certain your Internet connection isn't dropping then what you have described sounds very much like a DNS problem.

The easiest way to test if it is DNS would be to ping a website by IP and by name (so ping www.google.com, then ping 8.8.8.8) when you are seeing the connection problem

14 minutes ago, daflex said:

If you are running a domain then your primary DNS should be the server (as the DNS will be integrated with the active directory) and the server should have itself set as the primary DNS, then your ISP DNS set as secondary) you may also need to setup DNS forwarders on the server to point to your ISP DNS, then maybe also googles DNS 8.8.8.8.

If you are certain your Internet connection isn't dropping then what you have described sounds very much like a DNS problem.

The easiest way to test if it is DNS would be to ping a website by IP and by name (so ping www.google.com, then ping 8.8.8.8) when you are seeing the connection problem

I'll wait till it happens again and try the ping as you suggested. I'm just not sure why a simple reboot would cause a DNS error when my configuration has worked literally for years.

xrobwx - Is that batch file safe? Don't want to mess anything up. I wonder if just a reboot of my modem and switch would fix it...

OK I just had it happen. Typed in a web address and it look a long time so I knew I would get the server not found error. I pinged Google while it was happening and got:

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:806::200e:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 52ms, Maximum = 87ms, Average = 65ms

So I guess there is some DNS problem that was caused by rebooting the server?

Here are the network settings on the server. Again, this has worked fine for years...

network.jpg

"We run a small domain at my business"

"then your ISP DNS set as secondary"

NO! So this is DC and it points to google for dns??  How and the hell is it suppose to find its own domain?

Domain members and servers need to ONLY Point to AD for dns - ONLY!!  Your AD dns then finds outside domains for it, be it they forward to google or your isp, or opendns or actually resolve.  But all members need to ONLY Point to AD for dns..  No other dns server is going to know about your domain..

This is AD setup 101 people!!

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

"We run a small domain at my business"

"then your ISP DNS set as secondary"

NO! So this is DC and it points to google for dns??  How and the hell is it suppose to find its own domain?

Domain members and servers need to ONLY Point to AD for dns - ONLY!!  Your AD dns then finds outside domains for it, be it they forward to google or your isp, or opendns or actually resolve.  But all members need to ONLY Point to AD for dns..  No other dns server is going to know about your domain..

This is AD setup 101 people!!

My workstations DNS point to the server 192.168.10.2. Is that correct? I am guessing that somehow the server DNS configuration is not working because I rebooted for some reason?

is 192.168.10.2 your AD DC, which I have to assume runs the dns.  How do you have the AD dns setup.. Does it forward, does it just resolve from roots?  Where does it point to?  Is that the DC you posted - that is WRONG!

On 7/19/2016 at 8:15 AM, BudMan said:

is 192.168.10.2 your AD DC, which I have to assume runs the dns.  How do you have the AD dns setup.. Does it forward, does it just resolve from roots?  Where does it point to?  Is that the DC you posted - that is WRONG!

Yes 192.168.10.2 is the server address. The pic I posted is the DC.

As for forwarding, I have no idea. I had a consultant who set it up for me years back and I always thought that he did something wrong. In DNS manager, I click on forward lookup zones and my domain name and it lists a whole bunch of workstations we've used past and present as well as folders like _msdcs, _sites, DomainDnsZones, etc.

DO I really even NEED to have my server be a DNS server and/or domain controller? My network is small with only 3 worksations. We don't run Exchange server or anything like that. It basically is a file server and runs my SQL server for my embroidery design database software.

Do you need a DC?  To be honest prob not.. All your wanting to do is share some files off of it, and you only have 3 workstations.  Your not doing any sort of management with group policy, or anything like that?  Then the only thing a domain would get you is a central user database where you set the account billy to have access to these shares and files, while kelly has access to these shares and files, and then billy and kelly log into their machines with their domain accounts.

Are you doing anything with shares like that?  Or does everyone have access to everything?  You can still local down shares, you just wouldn't have a central list of users.  But if you have an account billy on workstation 1 with same password as billy account you created on server it still works, etc.

Your dc really needs to point to itself for dns, since it is the dns for your AD.  How would 8.8.8.8 know about your domain.  How would the DC register itself in your domain if it points to googledns?  There could be some debate if it should point to loopback 127.0.0.1 or its actual IP, etc.  But pointing to google dns is clearly wrong.  As to forwarding - your dns manager.

Here I fired up my test domain dc vm.. So as you see I set it to forward to googledns.  And it points to itself.  It passes the dcdiag test for test, why don't you run that test on your DC..  So as you see if I query it for something that is in the domain, ie itself for example it returns its IP.  If I ask it for something on the internet is also answers - it does this by asking googledns for the answer because it is not authoritative for neowin.net

dnssettings.jpg

This is pretty simple to fix if you just want me to teamviewer in or somethiing.