how to create a bridged network to connect to wireless devices

I have a desktop pc connected to the internet via an access point here at the residence. I have a wireless printer that I cannot connect to unless I have a router. I have a Dlink 601 router lying around. What can I do to be able connect to the printer wirelessly?

Why the wireless printer cant connect to the access point? I think maybe the IP address of the printer need to be changed since it is not in the same sub net.

16 minutes ago, deep1234 said:

Why the wireless printer cant connect to the access point? I think maybe the IP address of the printer need to be changed since it is not in the same sub net.

there's no option to change the IP on the printer -_-

huh??  You connect to wifi via a SSID you connect to using wpa2 I would expect that you auth with either a psk or some other 802.1x like eap-tls, etc.

Give the details of how your pc is connected to wifi, there should be no reason what so iever that if your pc can to this wifi that your printer can  not connect to the same wifi.  Unless you using a method of auth that the printer doesn't support like eap-tls or something, etcc.

Are you saying your pc is connect to something like wifi-max and not a local wifi network?

11 minutes ago, BudMan said:

huh??  You connect to wifi via a SSID you connect to using wpa2 I would expect that you auth with either a psk or some other 802.1x like eap-tls, etc.

Give the details of how your pc is connected to wifi, there should be no reason what so iever that if your pc can to this wifi that your printer can  not connect to the same wifi.  Unless you using a method of auth that the printer doesn't support like eap-tls or something, etcc.

Are you saying your pc is connect to something like wifi-max and not a local wifi network?

I connect to the internet via a username/password, exactly as you would do at your university.

My printer is the HP Deskjet 3512, wifi status:

IP: Not Connected

SSID: N/A

Wireless Direct: On

network.PNG

really dude.. What does your pc show for its wifi connection?

University is normally just like any other wifi network..  So yeah your printer should be able to connect to it.  Is quite possible your uni locks down what can actually connect to your network.  And your printer is not authed.  So if you want to print to it why not just use wireless direct that it clearly supports.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

23 minutes ago, BudMan said:

really dude.. What does your pc show for its wifi connection?

University is normally just like any other wifi network..  So yeah your printer should be able to connect to it.  Is quite possible your uni locks down what can actually connect to your network.  And your printer is not authed.  So if you want to print to it why not just use wireless direct that it clearly supports.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

Ok. I was able to use Wifi Direct and printed a test page. But that's ONLY when I disconnect my Internet connection. Is there a way to do that without disconnecting the internet?

I hate these "Wireless Printers" Nothing but trouble in my eyes. I generally connect them to a PC or other device that is Networked usually by wire and then share them out that way. I know the Brother ones DO NOT play nice with Cisco Corporate gear, I think its a Multicasting issue but then again I digress.

Agree wireless printers are horrible.. I have never bought a printer that wasn't wired..  Printers don't tend to move around alot so what is the point of wireless on them??

To your problem.. What I would do is pick up a < 20$ wifi router..  Connect the LAN port of this router to your PC nic..  Setup your wifi network, connect your printer to the wifi network = done.

here you go is a refurbed asus for $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320122

Your printer doesn't have usb connection??  Connect that to your pc and there you go.  Another option pick up a cheap wifi card for your PC be it usb or pci, and use that connection to do your direct connect to your printer.

19 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Agree wireless printers are horrible.. I have never bought a printer that wasn't wired..  Printers don't tend to move around alot so what is the point of wireless on them??

To your problem.. What I would do is pick up a < 20$ wifi router..  Connect the LAN port of this router to your PC nic..  Setup your wifi network, connect your printer to the wifi network = done.

here you go is a refurbed asus for $15

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320122

Your printer doesn't have usb connection??  Connect that to your pc and there you go.  Another option pick up a cheap wifi card for your PC be it usb or pci, and use that connection to do your direct connect to your printer.

Well, i have people in the house want to print from their laptops.

I have the Dlink 601 router, should work, right? I'll play with some more and report back. 

Well they can use direct wifi then.  Or as suggested get cheap wifi router and connect wifi printer to that, then anyone joining that wifi network could print to it.

Your schools wifi that your on is locked down your not going to be able to put your printer on it, even if you bridged it with a wire.  Does it have a ethernet connection even?

• 2 weeks later...

I've connected my router to the computer with an "Unidentified network" status. I don't know how to let the printer find this network. :/

how did you connect your router to your computer?  You would want to setup your "router" as just an AP.  So you would turn off its dhcp server, then setup network sharing on your PC.. This would do nat to the devices connected via your now wireless router being used as just an accesspoint.

Your PC would hand out dhcp to these devices to use it for internet, and your printer could connect to this wireless network.  This would hide all the devices from your school network behind your PC doing the internet sharing and nat.  Keep in mind that many schools frown upon this and want all devices they allow on their network with an IP from their network, etc.  You can even do some stuff with TTL that would notice if you have nat going on behind your IP your connecting.

I would really suggest you get with your school to how best setup your printer, and or router if they allow their use.   But unless they are doing some fancy stuff its quite simple to just use your wifi router as accesspoint, this would allow your friends to use your wifi and printer and internet.  And your PC to use internet and the printer, etc..

it makes a difference for you printing to it you can just connect it to your PC setup an IP on your interface say 192.168.0.1/24 and on the printer setup a static of 192.168.0.2/24 and there you go..  Now you can print while using your wifi network on your pc.

As long as this network you pick to setup on your wired network does not conflict with the network you get on your wifi network.

But your friends are not going to be able to print to this printer unless they use wifi direct or something.

What exactly are all the specifications of what you want to accomplish?  If just use using your wifi and printing at the same time your done.  If your wanting to setup a way for people to use some wifi network of yours or wired network and print and use the internet through your pc wifi connection then no you will not have that setup.

Your other option is to just connect your printer to your pc via usb and share it to everyone on your school wifi network... But that might end up with lots of printouts of goatse or other odd and weird prints..  Plan on going through lots of paper ink for nasty ###### you would not want to look at ;)

• 1 month later...

Here's how you can set up a bridged connection:

Position the bridge. Place the wireless bridge within range of your wireless router's signal, and also within a cable's length of your wired devices.

Connect the bridge to your network. If your router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup, or WPS, setup is easy. 

Plug in network devices.

On July 24, 2016 at 8:04 AM, ultimate99 said:

Ok. I was able to use Wifi Direct and printed a test page. But that's ONLY when I disconnect my Internet connection. Is there a way to do that without disconnecting the internet?

Yes.  Plug in using usb.  You will have to involve the uni it staff to help you if you want wireless printing to function