Would it not be nice to be able to write filenames in one's own handwriting? This feature was in development last decade when Windows Vista was codenamed "Longhorn." The recent emphasis on pen input from Microsoft with the introduction of Windows Ink has called to mind this Ink File Name feature that can benefit current Windows 10 users who interact with their devices using a pen.

The ability to write filenames (and perhaps certain metadata properties, more on this later) provides another way to add filenames without using a physical keyboard. Perhaps more importantly, it enables a richer level of personalization, where users—and content creators—who store or create files can view them just as they appear in their own handwriting.

LH3i.png

Microsoft showed this feature during the Professional Developers Conference of 2003 in the "Longhorn" shell:

I'm going to take this document right here -- and anyone who loves their Tablet will notice that we have ink file names right in the shell view.

Microsoft had also filed a patent in 2003 for functionality related to create and display handwritten information within an operating system interface:

Aspects of the present invention relate to systems and methods that allow users to receive, save, access, render, and/or display handwritten information in objects managed by an operating system and/or that are accessible by the operating system. For example, systems and methods according to at least some examples of the invention allow the operating system to receive, save, access, render, and/or display handwritten information (e.g., in the form of electronic ink) for use as file names (e.g., for files, documents, graphics, etc. saved on or accessible by the computer system); author identifiers; keywords or comments associated with a file, document, or object; and the like.

US07634729-20091215-D00000.png

The patent suggests that the handwritten information could also represent document metadata, for example, such as a document's author. A general illustration of what this could look like is shown above. I realize that not all of the functionality described in a patent may necessarily be implemented, but it does provide an overview of what an inking feature could provide. With that said, the ability to write filenames—an aspect of the invention described in the patent—was intended for Windows Vista.

Ink File Names.png

The company would later discuss the feature during Windows Hardware Engineering Conference of 2004 as part of its Tablet PC efforts. Note how the image suggests that one would be able to save files with their own handwriting.

There is no evidence to suggest that the addition of the Ink File Name feature would remove traditional input methods or even text-based file names, so there is no reason that it should not be available as an option. At first glance the feature might seem to be a small detail, but the small details add up to making a positive user experience (a statement I am sure that @LimeMaster agrees with). Thank you @LimeMaster for starting the suggestion at the Feedback Hub in Windows 10.

While the feature arguably should have been fully incorporated over a decade ago, you may be able to make it a part of Windows 10 if you leave feedback at the Feedback Hub.

• Like 3

Ugh, could you imagine using someone elses computer that has written all their folder names and trying to decipher what they wrote? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, firey said:

Ugh, could you imagine using someone elses computer that has written all their folder names and trying to decipher what they wrote? 

Well there could be—actually I think there was in at least one pre-release "Longhorn" build—an option to show only text-based file names.

Just now, Ian W said:

Well there could be—actually I think there was in at least one pre-release "Longhorn" build—an option to show only text-based file names.

So you have to turn it on when you start using their PC.. then turn it off again before they call you up and ask why it's not working anymore.  Remote Support nightmare.

1 minute ago, firey said:

So you have to turn it on when you start using their PC.. then turn it off again before they call you up and ask why it's not working anymore.  Remote Support nightmare.

What if they would not appear during a remote session (i.e., only text-based file names are shown)? Your points are excellent points to consider, of course, but certainly there could be a way to make the feature practical for all users.

Just now, Ian W said:

What if they would not appear during a remote session (i.e., only text-based file names are shown)? Your points are excellent points to consider, of course, but certainly there could be a way to make the feature practical for all users.

What about anyone that brings their computer into a shop for repairs? Like don't get me wrong having that kind of interaction is nice... but at the same time when it comes to different screens, resolutions, ability.. having one set of clear font used is..well... nice.  

• Like 2

Just now, firey said:

What about anyone that brings their computer into a shop for repairs? Like don't get me wrong having that kind of interaction is nice... but at the same time when it comes to different screens, resolutions, ability.. having one set of clear font used is..well... nice.  

I understand that but it should be an option that allows the users to have it turned on or off ..

Some people like to use handwriting.   Including the signatures. I don't mind handwritten notes, file names, etc. 

iOS 10 has handwritting feature in the messages app such as "Thank you" "Happy Birthday" etc.  Which you can see it here.

Just now, TAZMINATOR said:

I understand that but it should be an option that allows the users to have it turned on or off ..

Some people like to use handwriting.   Including the signatures. I don't mind handwritten notes, file names, etc. 

iOS 10 has handwritting feature in the messages app such as "Thank you" "Happy Birthday" etc.  Which you can see it here.

While it's all well and good when the text fills the screen.. try writing a meaningful filename that can be read by anyone in the space that a small font takes up.  It will be way too compressed or illegible.  Also text in files.. go ahead and write.. but for filenames on a desktop or in a directory... 

On 7/27/2016 at 6:59 PM, firey said:

At the moment I am uncertain what could be done to address this issue, besides using the option that was previously mentioned, but as you suggested it could be inconvenient to switch the option on and then off.

Perhaps the handwriting feature could be disabled by default to limit its use?

Edit: Perhaps an interface element such as the details pane or status bar could always show the text-based file name, even if handwritten file names are displayed in the shell.

On 7/27/2016 at 7:06 PM, firey said:

While it's all well and good when the text fills the screen.. try writing a meaningful filename that can be read by anyone in the space that a small font takes up.  It will be way too compressed or illegible.  Also text in files.. go ahead and write.. but for filenames on a desktop or in a directory... 

For this, could one not scale the icons (and thus the handwriting)?