Buying Macbook Pro Retina... Suggestions?

Sup people! I'm with a friend right now and he is upgrading from an iMac 2011 to a new lappy. I'm honestly bad when it comes to choosing mac models, so I wanted to have your opinion for it. 

From our small research it seems that Apple hasn't done much from 2013-late. Apple hasn't refreshed their lineup in this year, so everything we would be looking for would be 2013-2015. 

He will do video/photo editing using Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere. I don't know how much benefit he will get from having a faster processor, since Premiere uses GPU acceleration.  Max price range would be $1,800.  Update: No max price range. Will he benefit from going from 2.5Ghz model to the 2.8GHz?

What would be a good model (So we don't end buying hardware that he wouldn't end up using)? 

i7 and 16GB are welcomed. 

Edited by Jose_49

There wouldn't be much gained going to 2.8 over 2.5, really.  It's not worth $300.  I would spend that money on AppleCare instead.  

Premiere uses the GPU for *some* things... but it is not a replacement for a beefy CPU.  He will rely on the CPU more than you think.

And speaking of the CPU... he might not see much difference between 2.5GHz and 2.8GHz.  But if he can afford it... why not?

It will last longer and it will be worth more if he tries to sell it later.  It's only $200 more on a laptop that is already $2,500   :)

EDIT:  I assume you're talking about the 15" Retina MacBook Pro since that is the only one that comes with a dedicated GPU.  Is that correct?

Edited by Michael Scrip

14 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

Premiere uses the GPU for *some* things... but it is not a replacement for a beefy CPU.  He will rely on the CPU more than you think.

And speaking of the CPU... he might not see much difference between 2.5GHz and 2.8GHz.  But if he can afford it... why not?

It will last longer and it will be worth more if he tries to sell it later.  It's only $200 more on a laptop that is already $2,500   :)

EDIT:  I assume you're talking about the 15" Retina MacBook Pro since that is the only one that comes with a dedicated GPU.  Is that correct?

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I'll let him know :D

• Like 1

I upgraded some Hard Drives at a school many years ago on Mac's,  but I was at A FedEx Store and they had a Mac Desktop. Do not know the model but the case has holes in it for ventilation I guess. What struck me was that it was on and it was so quiet one would not know. Are they all quiet?

1 minute ago, Gary7 said:

I upgraded some Hard Drives at a school many years ago but I was at A FedEx Store and they had a Mac Desktop. Do not know the model but the case has holes in it for ventilation I guess. What struck me was that it was on and it was so quiet one would not know. Are they all quiet?

Under a heavy load, no. 

I know this is probably too late, however, if your friends old Mac took care of his basic needs, he should have waited for Apple to release a newer model. There have already been rumors of next model. Unless of course he doesn't care about the latest, and greatest.