Windows 10 just tried to force an update, even though I disabled that long ago

Please, let's not get into a fight about if I should/could/would leave automatic updates on. I prefer to update manually on my own terms, and many times I have something running that could need to run for several days at a time.

Anyway, so, I have Windows 10 Pro, and I disabled updates to it in two of the big ways recommended, by going into the group policy editor and disabling them there, and by editing the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" and setting the "AUOptions" key to 1 (Never check for updates).

And it worked for several months, while it used to nag me about every 2-3 days for updates before, it has been going for several months now without nagging me and letting me do the updates whenever I want.

But today, it suddenly tried to force them on me again. I came home to a full-screen popup that insisted I HAVE to install updates with the only option being to click accept. I assume this has something to do with the anniversary update, but I can't be sure. Has this happened to anyone else who disabled automatic updates? Or does anyone have any idea why it tried to do this and how to stop it?

Where is there the supported documentation from MS that states the regedit you're doing is actually the way to disable checking for updates?

Also, if it's supported fully in windows 10...

Windows 10 anniversary update removed some group policy options from Windows 10 Pro, so  some group policy options will have no effect at all any longer.

Windows 10 Enterprise continues to have them just like before.

Not sure if that's one of the group policies affected,  but would not be surprised at all if it is!

I think the policies it removed had to do with notifications or something, not updates. And the update it tried to force me to install WAS the anniversary update, I am not on it.

On 8/14/2016 at 0:59 AM, Cyber Akuma said:

But today, it suddenly tried to force them on me again. I came home to a full-screen popup that insisted I HAVE to install updates with the only option being to click accept. I assume this has something to do with the anniversary update, but I can't be sure. Has this happened to anyone else who disabled automatic updates? Or does anyone have any idea why it tried to do this and how to stop it?

This did not happen with my Windows 10.

Hello,

I think this is the way Windows 10 Pro is supposed to work; Microsoft made a business decision that non-managed (e.g., not domain-joined) systems running Windows 10 Pro would receive updates according to the Current Branch (CB) or Current Branch for Business (CBB) service schedule, and it you take a look at the timing, v1607 is eight months after v1511.

Have you looked into getting a volume license for Windows 10 Enterprise?  This would give you access to the Long-Term Servicing Branch (LTSB) schedule, which sounds like it might be a better fit for what you're trying to accomplish.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky