[Q] New Gaming Build Value for Money?

Hello folks

So I am hard thinking about getting an upgrade for gaming but I want to have real SATA 3 / USB 3 support as well 

I would also like to have Native USB 3.1 (Type C) support as well.

My current build is this but please note that products with an asterisk (*) will be used for the new build:

Case: Cooleraster HAF 932*

PSU: Coolermaster M850 (850w)*

Motherboard: MSI X58A-GD65

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHZ (Stockclocked

RAM: 4x3GB 18000 Mhz (Don't remember brand)

VGA: ASUS GTX 760

SSD (OS): Samsung 850 Evo 250GB or 240GB*

HDD: 2x1 Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black (RAID 0 for perfomance), Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black*

Reasons I want to upgrade:

My motherboard does not have real SATA 3 and USB 3 support, it comes with Marvel Sata 3 chipset and Renesas Electronics USB 3 ports.

My SSD does not work to it's fullest performance and I have noticed major lags in loading programs like my  whole OS has to reload to load an app and comes with BIOS, which is slow to load with all those POST screens and stuff

And I don't think this build will keep with an Nvidia GTX 1060/1070 or AMD RX 480 graphics cards.

I am kinda lost with which CPU I should buy, I was thinking about an Intel Core i7-6800K but just for a CPU, 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 RAM, a motherboard, and a GTX 1060 cost around 1200euro for a decent future-proof build for 5-8 years and it is too much money  just for an upgrade

Any suggestions?

The first question that everyone will want to ask is what is your budget? 
While the above recommendations for your build are great, can you afford them?

I can but I will be totally broke. 

I'm thinking a budget limit of 800euros will be nice taking in consideration that a GTX costs 308-360euros 

So the remaining budget for CPU, RAM, Motherboard will be : 400-500

Just buy the GPU and see what happens.

The "slowness" of the current system seems more like a config problem of some sort.

The main advantage of new mobos is the M.2 NVMe interface for a Samsung 950.

an old-fashioned Coolermaster V8

9.jpg

Will replace it with a Scythe Air-cooler or a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO or Something similar, the cooler is the least of my problems.

British pounds are more expensive than euros 450 GDP is 520Euro. 

Your recommended build costs around 995euro including the GTX 1060 card.

BTW No thanks to Gigabyte parts. I had enough of that brand. No good aftersales support such as BIOS updates etc.

A damnit I can't have it all I guess.

The parts I'm considering are these:

Motherboard MSI X99A SLI Plus

CPU Intel Core i7 6800k Box

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200MHz 

VGA Nvidia GTX 1060

Total Cost: 1200-1320€

I can save 100€  (Total Cost: 1100-1200) if I purchase 2x8GB RAM and purchase another two later for quad channel

Still pricey. 

5 minutes ago, MariosX said:

British pounds are more expensive than euros 450 GDP is 520Euro. 

Your recommended build costs around 995euro including the GTX 1060 card.

A damnit I can't have it all I guess.

The parts I'm considering are these:

Motherboard MSI X99A SLI Plus

CPU Intel Core i7 6800k Box

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-3200MHz 

VGA Nvidia GTX 1060

Total Cost: 1200-1320€

I can save 100€  (Total Cost: 1100-1200) if I purchase 2x8GB RAM and purchase another two later for quad channel

Still pricey. 

Unless you want to calculate new Prime Numbers faster there is nothing to indicate that spending that sort of money will get you any large advantage.

It's your money and new mobos are nice to look at but actually measuring your real world performance bottlenecks might indicate the most optimal usage of funds.

From your very brief description of how you use your computer, the purchase of a 1 tb SSD might result in a faster system for your usage than a new CPU.

There just has not been enough information presented for people to offer useful advice.

All I care about is future-proof, sata 3, usb 3.0 ports and a better perfomance than the current i7 920 I have.

Other chipsets have far less USB 3 ports, SATA and might not be enough my HDDs 

My main usage is video gaming, but I also need my computer for Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, CAD, Matlab, Android SDK, Adruino SDK and similar stuff my school

and also I think for a 100 bucks more I can get something which is the latest in technology.

I don't care about Prime Numbers, never was, never will

4 minutes ago, MariosX said:

All I care about is future-proof, sata 3, usb 3.0 ports and a better perfomance than the current i7 920 I have.

Other chipsets have far less USB 3 ports, SATA and might not be enough my HDDs 

My main usage is video gaming, but I also need my computer for Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, CAD, Matlab, Android SDK, Adruino SDK and similar stuff my school

and also I think for a 100 bucks more I can get something which is the latest in technology.

I don't care about Prime Numbers, never was, never will

I don't think that you understand my point.

You want better performance yet nothing that you list will (most likely) result in better performance for your usage scenarios which means you probably just want an excuse to spend money on a new gizmo yet you complain about the cost.

If you want to get the most amount of performance for the least amount of money (i.e. value) then you need to provide details on usage and where you have measured performance issues in the current system.

1. Gaming - your GPU upgrade covers that. Real world scenarios where the CPU and RAM limit the ability to feed the GPU are very rare.

2. Photoshop - always hungry for RAM, the location of the temp files should be on SSD.

3. Premiere - Can use the new GPU for rendering. Separate SSD's to hold input video and output renders are an advantage.

4. Other stuff probably not affected by upgrade.

5. If you have been doing a lot of editing, your Samsung Evo might be challenged. You should have the Pro version. The Evo is designed to be a "mostly Read, sometimes Write" consumer level drive.

To OP ....

Since you are on a budget ... I would recommend the i5 (like the i5-6600) and a mobo with the H170 chipset.  That CPU/chipset will give you very good results with CAD, Photoshop, etc., especially on a budget.  I would also recommend at least a 1070 GPU ... especially if one of the primary purposes is gaming.  I believe a setup like this ....

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/97Vbhq

Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor - £199.97

Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - £109.37    

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - £102.34            

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card - £419.99

might be the best "bang" for your buck.  Around £831.67  ... and please note I really have no idea the difference between Euros and pounds. :) 

Yeah, if you aren't going to overclock, and if on a "budget" you aren't then you don't need the i7k or even an i5k, all you need is an i5 good RAM and a good GPU 

17 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

To OP ....

Since you are on a budget ... I would recommend the i5 (like the i5-6600) and a mobo with the H170 chipset.  That CPU/chipset will give you very good results with CAD, Photoshop, etc., especially on a budget.  I would also recommend at least a 1070 GPU ... especially if one of the primary purposes is gaming.  I believe a setup like this ....

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/97Vbhq

Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor - £199.97

Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - £109.37    

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory - £102.34            

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card - £419.99

might be the best "bang" for your buck.  Around £831.67  ... and please note I really have no idea the difference between Euros and pounds. :) 

This is a very nice build and yes a Gtx 1070 will be better for the same amount of money

So whats the point of Core i7 if it only adds more numbers in Benchmarks?

2 hours ago, MariosX said:

This is a very nice build and yes a Gtx 1070 will be better for the same amount of money

So whats the point of Core i7 if it only adds more numbers in Benchmarks?

This article will be able to explain the difference better than I.  If you determine that the i7 is better suited for your needs ... than I would recommend the non-k version (i7-6700) with the same setup.  It is about £67 more than the i5-6600.  Main difference between the non-k and k version is the ability to overclock (like what Anibal mentioned two posts back).

Anyway, I think the i5 setup would be perfectly suited as a powerful budget build.  

18 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

This article will be able to explain the difference better than I.  If you determine that the i7 is better suited for your needs ... than I would recommend the non-k version (i7-6700) with the same setup.  It is about £67 more than the i5-6600.  Main difference between the non-k and k version is the ability to overclock (like what Anibal mentioned two posts back).

Anyway, I think the i5 setup would be perfectly suited as a powerful budget build.  

There is nothing about his current system that would result in "slow loading" that will be fixed by upgrading his CPU to a new i5 or i7

So although you have created a nice "budget build" it may not solve his problems that he stated.

Keeping the current system, adding a 1070 and replacing the Evo with two Samsung 512 850 Pros might provide a faster computer for his usage scenario.

He has a i7 quad core CPU with 12 gig of RAM so "slow loading" has to be connected to his storage system and won't be helped by a CPU upgrade except in odd cases.

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

There is nothing about his current system that would result in "slow loading" that will be fixed by upgrading his CPU to a new i5 or i7

So although you have created a nice "budget build" it may not solve his problems that he stated.

Keeping the current system, adding a 1070 and replacing the Evo with two Samsung 512 850 Pros might provide a faster computer for his usage scenario.

He has a i7 quad core CPU with 12 gig of RAM so "slow loading" has to be connected to his storage system and won't be helped by a CPU upgrade except in odd cases.

ok?  I was addressing a new budget build...the whole "native" USB 3.1, SATAIII ... plus he'll get much better results in CAD, Photoshop, etc., going from a 920 to a 6600 or a 6700.

Anyway, upgrading from a Evo to Pro (I have both and there is hardly any difference) will not result in fixing his "slow loading" either.  Moving away from the Marvell onboard controller to the native Intel ... might.  /shrug

10 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

ok?  I was addressing a new budget build...the whole "native" USB 3.1, SATAIII ... plus he'll get much better results in CAD, Photoshop, etc., going from a 920 to a 6600 or a 6700.

Anyway, upgrading from a Evo to Pro (I have both and there is hardly any difference) will not result in fixing his "slow loading" either.  Moving away from the Marvell onboard controller to the native Intel ... might.  /shrug

First, your budget build proposal was excellent.

I was just thinking that some discussion on the actual problem might be useful, but it could also just be rather boring due to lack of info.

Of course a faster CPU is good for something or other if he has something that can use it. Because he states an actual problem and also he states a limited budget, I was just pointing out that he could end up spending all of his limited budget on a nice new toy and not actually solve his real world problem.

I have no idea if my mention of SSD holds any water since there is not enough information available from the OP.

He does however have a non-typical (non-consumer) workload which is like a salmon swimming upstream for the Evo. The Pro series was designed for a write heavy workload typical of video editing etc. Perhaps his Evo remapping dead cells is the reason for his slow downs. I have killed a SSD from write loads (huge C++ compiles) and have been forever aware of the problem afterwards. The Evo has a very large spare cell capacity but might be getting overloaded managing it. Just shooting in the dark here.

None of a new mobo features is really worth any real world performance except for the chance to get 2 M.2 NVMe SSD slots to handle a Samsung 950.

On 2016-08-14 at 8:38 AM, MariosX said:

My motherboard does not have real SATA 3 and USB 3 support, it comes with Marvel Sata 3 chipset and Renesas Electronics USB 3 ports.

My SSD does not work to it's fullest performance and I have noticed major lags in loading programs like my  whole OS has to reload to load an app and comes with BIOS, which is slow to load with all those POST screens and stuff

I don't understand any of this. What do you mean by "real" SATA 3 and USB 3 support? Native to the chipset rather than added through 3rd-party controllers? What difference does that really make to you?

"My whole OS has to reload to load an app" - that doesn't make any sense. You mean it reboots?

"slow to load with all those POST screens and stuff" - So your boot times are long because some step(s) is(are) taking time. Maybe this is due to specific functionality being enabled that you might not need? If you could detail your BIOS settings and provide more information about the problem maybe someone could help you figure it out.

"And I don't think this build will keep with an Nvidia GTX 1060/1070 or AMD RX 480 graphics cards." - How about upgrading the GPU and then figuring out if you really have a CPU performance problem?

If you identified the issues you have and posted clearly about them we could help you solve them. It might be that by replacing the hardware, they will disappear by chance, but they also might not. So you spend 500$+ on an upgrade and spend time building that system and still have slow boot times, what then?

21 hours ago, Andre S. said:

I don't understand any of this. What do you mean by "real" SATA 3 and USB 3 support? Native to the chipset rather than added through 3rd-party controllers? What difference does that really make to you?

"My whole OS has to reload to load an app" - that doesn't make any sense. You mean it reboots?

"slow to load with all those POST screens and stuff" - So your boot times are long because some step(s) is(are) taking time. Maybe this is due to specific functionality being enabled that you might not need? If you could detail your BIOS settings and provide more information about the problem maybe someone could help you figure it out.

"And I don't think this build will keep with an Nvidia GTX 1060/1070 or AMD RX 480 graphics cards." - How about upgrading the GPU and then figuring out if you really have a CPU performance problem?

If you identified the issues you have and posted clearly about them we could help you solve them. It might be that by replacing the hardware, they will disappear by chance, but they also might not. So you spend 500$+ on an upgrade and spend time building that system and still have slow boot times, what then?

He said USB 3.1....sure that could be done with a PCIe card.  His current motherboard also has the Marvel SE9128 SATAIII controller ... and by all accounts on the interwebz it is pretty terrible (just a bit faster than SATAII). Looking at the Gigabyte manual it appears that it is running through the PCIe 2.0 x1 (5Gb/s) lane...

Capture.JPG

That might be part of his problem...the whole motherboard was released when SSDs were basically in their infancy, SATAII was the norm ... and his mobo just hasn't kept up with the times or the newer/faster SSDs like the 850 Evo/Pro.

Kinda the reason why I would recommend a new build ... especially if it is keeping up with his needs.  Otherwise ... you can do a full reinstall and hope for the best ... probably only to be disappointed.  

1 hour ago, Andre S. said:

@jjkusaf ah thanks for pointing that out, looks that motherboard is renowned for atrocious SATA III speeds. I would be very tempted to get rid of it indeed...

But, your advice is still the best approach.

1. Buy GPU and install it.

2. Start measuring stuff.

3. Find bottleneck.

4. If bottleneck is SATA controller, buy new mobo or PCIe SATA controller.

5. If bottleneck is something else, you still have $500 to fix it.

As a general comment, SATA 2 transfer speeds are fast enough outside of benchmarks and that difference does not account for the magnitude of the issues mentioned. The issue is most likely a O/S config issue, a hardware issue with the Samsung Evo 850, or some issue with his WD RAID such a locating game levels there or the Windows Page file etc.

For example, he has 12 gigs of RAM and if he had a 24 gig page file located on the spinning drives, it could very well end up feeling like the O/S is reloading on a large application like Photoshop after a lot of extended multi-tasking. Just an example, not a diagnosis.

7 hours ago, DevTech said:

But, your advice is still the best approach.

1. Buy GPU and install it.

2. Start measuring stuff.

3. Find bottleneck.

4. If bottleneck is SATA controller, buy new mobo or PCIe SATA controller.

5. If bottleneck is something else, you still have $500 to fix it.

As a general comment, SATA 2 transfer speeds are fast enough outside of benchmarks and that difference does not account for the magnitude of the issues mentioned. The issue is most likely a O/S config issue, a hardware issue with the Samsung Evo 850, or some issue with his WD RAID such a locating game levels there or the Windows Page file etc.

For example, he has 12 gigs of RAM and if he had a 24 gig page file located on the spinning drives, it could very well end up feeling like the O/S is reloading on a large application like Photoshop after a lot of extended multi-tasking. Just an example, not a diagnosis.

Bottleneck should be the RAMs, I replaced my old ones with other used DDR3 with more GB and my system since then became unstable but that's not the only reason I want to upgrade.

Pagefile is on the SSD, I have configured it myself and is 1856 MB. I know that page file should be 1.5xSize of Ram

I never had any issues with WD Raid, I have it for years

SSD has never ran on it's fullest potential on anything and I only use it for OS and loading apps, nothing more, nothing less. I do my video editing on my Raid and also put my personal files there as well.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:49 AM, Andre S. said:

jjkusaf Cleared it out for me.

Yes SATA 3 and USB 3.0 ports performance  are poor. It's like having something that it is a little better than SATA 2/USB 2  but not close to SATA 3/USB 3

No, I do not mean reboot, when I load an app from the Windows 10 Taskbar, sometimes it does not respond at all, Windows 10 restart explorer.exe after some seconds (5-30secs) and after it loads the app. It is like having a very old Android phone, you press to load "Facebook" and for sometime it does not respond it will load it after a minute or so.

I have disabled many settings on the BIOS not for shorter boot times, just for features I never use such as COM Port support.

Still a UEFI bios is much faster, even my laptop is faster than my desktop cause of UEFI

Gaming is just one of the reasons I want to upgrade but I have the above Reasons as well.

ssd.png

Edited by MariosX

2 hours ago, MariosX said:

Bottleneck should be the RAMs, I replaced my old ones with other used DDR3 with more GB and my system since then became unstable but that's not the only reason I want to upgrade.

Pagefile is on the SSD, I have configured it myself and is 1856 MB. I know that page file should be 1.5xSize of Ram

I never had any issues with WD Raid, I have it for years

SSD has never ran on it's fullest potential on anything and I only use it for OS and loading apps, nothing more, nothing less. I do my video editing on my Raid and also put my personal files there as well.

jjkusaf Cleared it out for me.

Yes SATA 3 and USB 3.0 ports performance  are poor. It's like having something that it is a little better than SATA 2/USB 2  but not close to SATA 3/USB 3

No, I do not mean reboot, when I load an app from the Windows 10 Taskbar, sometimes it does not respond at all, Windows 10 restart explorer.exe after some seconds (5-30secs) and after it loads the app. It is like having a very old Android phone, you press to load "Facebook" and for sometime it does not respond it will load it after a minute or so.

I have disabled many settings on the BIOS not for shorter boot times, just for features I never use such as COM Port support.

Still a UEFI bios is much faster, even my laptop is faster than my desktop cause of UEFI

Gaming is just one of the reasons I want to upgrade but I have the above Reasons as well.

ssd.png

The type of "in your face" slow-downs and issues you are experiencing has nothing to do with the speed of a SATA interface.

1. The Windows Explorer crash and slow-downs is caused by either old/bad software that has installed a "right click"  option or a codec that is messing up icon creation or a hardware device that is timing out and not responding or a bad sector on either the SSD or HDD.

2. The difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 is minor compared to the difference between USB 2 and USB 3. You could try moving the SSD from the SATA 3 to the chipset SATA 2 to see if defects in the SATA 3 chip are causing various stuttering effects. The 850 Evo will only max out the SATA 2 port in benchmarks, not real world usage (in any noticeable way)

Look at your drive benchmark. The only access method that could saturate your SATA 2 would be sequential and in normal use, the access will be mixed so that the limiting speed factor will almost always be the drive itself. You need a Samsung 950 Pro in order to worry about the drive interface!

As a check, I ran your benchmark on my Dell XPS 9550 laptop which has a Samsung 951 which is basically the Evo version of a 950 Pro and has the same write problem that all Evo drives have. The interface is NVMe which is a s fast as you can get on Earth outside of a PCIe slot based card. My sequential write is similar to yours! with the 4K-64K write being 219, not much of a difference. My reads are about 4X yours,  but that is not actually all that important since Windows is constantly caching read data in RAM. The limiting factor is still the drive itself and I plan to upgrade to a 950 Pro at some point.

3. Microsoft no longer recommends a pagefile of 1.5 RAM, but yours should be a bit larger given the type of software you are running.

4. If you get a new mobo you will mostly likely do a clean install and that will most likely make the slow-down issues go away. For your usage the main advantage will be more RAM and hopefully 2 M.2 NVMe slots for some real speed up down the road as budget permits.

Not sure if your old mobo's SATA chipset is Marvell - but that could be the problem.

That gen of mobos which used the Marvell SATA3 chipset were very problematic.
(not to mention the PCI-E channels had to share resources with SATA3; meaning SATA3 would top out @ 400MB/sec (I had an old x58 chipset mobo that had both of the above mentioned problems))

But as @DevTech has mentioned - your loading issues and slowdowns are probably related to something other than what you think it is...

I haven't read all of the thread because I cant get interested in budget stuff - (its just not fun to look at/config)

I was about to tell you to ditch the mediocre Bronze PSU - but since you cant really afford anything - you are stuck.

If buying this stuff will make you "broke" - are you sure its a smart thing to do ?

I always say "if you cant afford to replace it - you couldn't afford it in the 1st place"

Of course, that is really my father talking, but when it comes to making decisions about relatively large purchases - it sure does help.  May not be realistic for everyone - but it is safe.

As far as the advice you're getting - you probably wont find more experienced, and level-headed people anywhere on the net.
Neowinians are good about telling you what you need to hear, what is realistic, and what is hyped BS.

Once you get it built - remember -
(1) A system is only as fast as its slowest part
(2) a clean system (software wise) will let your system run as fast as it can.
(3) Benchmarking is just for testing, and comparison
(4) Overclocking is just for testing,  If you are OC-ing to max out framerates - you are wasting your time, and you are going about things the wrong way
(5) No need for more than 8GB RAM unless you're doing VMs or big Photoshop or other media creation

good luck

When you get some more money - get a better PSU.  That CM 850 Bronze - might be OK - but if I put every penny I had into something - I wouldn't go "OK" on a part of such importance.
(maybe that's just me being a hardware snob and a PSU snob - I never go cheap on the PSU)

A good friend of mine swapped his old components for mine which have everything I asked for

My new build is:

Case: Cooleraster HAF 932

PSU: Coolermaster M850 (850w)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3h

CPU: Intel COre i7 3770k

RAM: 4x4GB HyperX 2133Mhz DDR3

VGA: ASUS GTX 760

SSD (OS): Samsung 850 Evo 250GB 

HDD: 3x1 Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black (AHCI Mode, No Raid)

I use the new build in UEFI mode (No CSM Support with Windows Boot Manager as first bootable device), Marvell Controller is disabled and everything runs on stock

I can say that the perfomance now is quite impressive, I just press the button and in 5 secs I am in Desktop because the SSD runs at its full potential

Now only the new VGA card remains