Can a MacPro 2009 be a gaming machine?

Hello guys, I purchased this MacPro 2009 a few weeks ago and since I upgrade the memory from 4GB to 16GB and upgrade the video card from a GT120 512MB to an AMD Radeon 7870 2GB... Which games do you guys think can support this upgraded system? I have been away from games for a long time, but I still have my steam accounts with a lot of games for Mac.

• 2 months later...

2009 Mac Pro?  Should be able to at least play solitaire.

But in all seriousness.   That generation of Macs was a chipset behind intel for its day, which would put it at about a 2007 or 2008 Windows machine.  Not a ton of gaming companies focus on Mac's, so your software selection is already going to be limited.  The Mac Pro's have Xeon processors in them, which don't have all the extra cpu instruction sets for accelerated gaming.  They use ECC 1066 Mhz memory, compared to today's gaming machines that use 2400 mhz or faster DDR4.  So generally, Mac compatible games that are 5 - 6 years old should play ok on it.  Trying to play a new game?  Might play, but with poor performance.

If you "still have your steam accounts with a lot of games for mac", your best bet is to install them and see if they run.  Guessing if the Steam account hasn't been used since you bought the Mac, the games you own will be of the same timeframe.

On 11/12/2016 at 11:53 AM, Kelxin said:

2009 Mac Pro?  Should be able to at least play solitaire.

But in all seriousness.   That generation of Macs was a chipset behind intel for its day, which would put it at about a 2007 or 2008 Windows machine.  Not a ton of gaming companies focus on Mac's, so your software selection is already going to be limited.  The Mac Pro's have Xeon processors in them, which don't have all the extra cpu instruction sets for accelerated gaming.  They use ECC 1066 Mhz memory, compared to today's gaming machines that use 2400 mhz or faster DDR4.  So generally, Mac compatible games that are 5 - 6 years old should play ok on it.  Trying to play a new game?  Might play, but with poor performance.

If you "still have your steam accounts with a lot of games for mac", your best bet is to install them and see if they run.  Guessing if the Steam account hasn't been used since you bought the Mac, the games you own will be of the same timeframe.

I upgraded the firmware and installed the netkas 2010 MacPro tool. I am currently hooked to Left 4Dead 2 and Call Of Duty 2. I have a 2GB AMD Radeon 7870 card installed and runs very well. I noticed that the few games offered for the mac platform in steam is very limited.

On 11/21/2016 at 4:03 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

Don't know if possible, but installing windows can broaden game selection?

Can be possible but I really don't need it... very happy with the way it is at the moment... maybe in the future :)