in need of a covert audio recorder

for various reasons, i'm in need of a covert audio recorder, anyone recommend any? 

has to be small enough to hide in clothing like a coat or something, maybe even a toy and have a long battery life. 

can't hide a phone like i need to.  i suspect my ex might not be treating my daughter right because of the things she says, so i need something to listen in to see if anything is going on.

24 minutes ago, papercut2008uk said:

can't hide a phone like i need to.  i suspect my ex might not be treating my daughter right because of the things she says, so i need something to listen in to see if anything is going on.

Do you live in a one party consent "state"/country?

1 minute ago, papercut2008uk said:

i have no idea, i like in UK.

Recording or monitoring is only prohibited where some of the contents of the communication are made available to a third party. If a person intends to make the conversation available, they must get the consent of the person being recorded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4801072.stm

Sounds like if you're intending to record for evidentiary reasons, that may not be admissible.

i know it wont work as evidence or to use it in any case, this is purely for my own sanity and the safety of my daughter, if i know something is going on and i can be 100% sure, then i can get social services involved, rather than getting them involved now and then wondering if i did the right thing, or if it was exaggerated by my daughter and people who have been telling me what happens.

1 minute ago, papercut2008uk said:

i know it wont work as evidence or to use it in any case, this is purely for my own sanity and the safety of my daughter, if i know something is going on and i can be 100% sure, then i can get social services involved, rather than getting them involved now and then wondering if i did the right thing, or if it was exaggerated by my daughter and people who have been telling me what happens.

If you were to hire a private detective, it would be valid in court.

8 minutes ago, papercut2008uk said:

i can't afford a private detective, just about covering the solicitor costs, which seem to be a huge waste of money. 

The link that I posted has what you need, very small and can be hidden anywhere.

I may be missing something obvious here, but going on the little from this thread. You suspect your daughter's mother to be mistreating her in some way, a way worthy of social services so it's pretty serious. Have you actually just sat your daughter down and asked her? If it's serious enough to think about social services then why are you wasting time with recorders that will probably lead to you being in more trouble than anyone else?

• Like 1

Yeah, my first response here would be a chat with the daughter.  Take her out for ice cream or whatever, let her know that she is loved and won't be punished or judged for telling the truth, and then just ask.