DesktopWeather Beta 1

Question

Originally posted by Matrox  

Euphoria, thanks for posting error.  Its now fixed for beta 2.  It will be released real soon.  I am still waiting on an icon though  :(  

If anyone can make one please post.

-Matrox

You are welcome, I just hope that Beta 2 works better.

does anyone even have any ideas for an icon? alien venom found this one dw1

i dunno, i'm just browsing google for ideas. something like this maybe? dw2

any ideas even?

cheers,

joe

Great work Matrox, I love it!

I have some great ideas for your weather thing that might make it all that much better.

There are tons of sites that provide weather information and that use custom images. I think some skinning information would be pretty neat. I haven't tried anything yet, but if we change an image, does it automatically resize it to 52x52 pixels or how about doing separate (smaller sized) images for the smaller icons.

You said that in the next version you were going to make it one big application with no external files. If thats the case, then how can we change the indivudal weather images?

I dunno, I think it's great the way it is, but if you like any of these ideas, lemme know!

AIM/ICQ/E-mail are in my profile.

- AV

P.S. When you click the "Show Desktop" icon in the QuickLaunch icons, the weather screen hides itself, so even though this is like a nit-pick thing, it's also apparent with CoolInfo. The only way to get them back is to open an application or folder or something.

I get the following error on WIndowsXP Pro when trying to execute the program. I have already installed the VB6 runtime.

"System Error &H8007007E (-2147024770). The specified module could not be found."

Any ideas?

Thanx

P.S. I am also runnig it at home on a WIndowsXP Pro machine and it works perfectly. I cannot undestand why this error is occurring on this machine.

Originally posted by Syntax Error  

what is the weather accuracy/refresh rate??

Whatever you want it to be. If you double-click on the program and select "Change Refresh Rate" you can change it to any number of minutes you want.

Originally posted by Alien Venom  

P.S. When you click the "Show Desktop" icon in the QuickLaunch icons, the weather screen hides itself, so even though this is like a nit-pick thing, it's also apparent with CoolInfo. The only way to get them back is to open an application or folder or something.

That's the point of using the Show Desktop program - it wipes away everyhing and show the bare desktop. Minimize everything, click on Show Desktop shortcut - and any destop programs like you mentioned will disappear. Click the Show Desktop shortcut again and they will reappear. This is by design, by MS - it's just a toggle.

This is an excellent little app. I've looked for something which combines the features this has for a long time. The best I could find was Weather Watcher, which sits in the tray and shows the temp, although you could get more information by clicking on it and bringing it up. But this DesktopWeather app has all the information I'm interested in right there on my desktop, with transparency as well. I have mine set up to refresh the weather stats every ten minutes.

I'm very much looking forward to this next release, however I'm already using the beta1 release daily. It's in my startup folder.

Good job.

I gotta thank you for making this program. Its summin I've wanted ever since i got on the net like 7yrs ago. Its simple and does the job. Plus by entering my country/town code it now works for my town. Thanks :) Top notch proggie.

Outstanding ! A seriously cool application - easy setup, well designed, and just downright cool :)

Nice work ! :) :)

Matrox, great program and nice job. Is there any way that you can make the background transparent? If not, no big deal, but it would look so much nicer on the dtop if you could see your wall behind it.

I have downloaded it and spent ages downloading .net framework and it doesn't support any other country apart from US and Canada.

But it says world coverage. Do have I to do someting to get world coverage?

I live in the UK.