Ipod vs Zen Xtra size

I don't have a picture of them botb side by side but their respective sites do.

^ That wasn't a flame.

EDIT:

Apple iPod - Third Generation

WxHxD: 2.4" x 4.1" x .73"

Size and weight (40GB model)

Weight: 6.2 oz

CreativeLabs Zen Xtra

WxHxD: 3" x 4.4" x 0.86"

Weight: 7.9 oz with battery; 7.2 oz without battery

Just figured I'd be helpful.

I don't have a picture of them botb side by side but their respective sites do.

^ That wasn't a flame.

EDIT:

Apple iPod - Third Generation

WxHxD: 2.4" x 4.1" x .73"

Size and weight (40GB model)

Weight: 6.2 oz

CreativeLabs Zen Xtra

WxHxD: 3" x 4.4" x 0.86"

Weight: 7.9 oz with battery; 7.2 oz without battery

Just figured I'd be helpful.

no problem. I have looked on the sites and I cant find a sife by side picture. Maybe you could be a bit more specific about where i can find such a picture on the sites?

Thx, Slysy

ok i found a pic, but looking at it I cant see why people make a big deal about the sizes...the differences look very small

The pic:

http://www.minidisc.org/images/iriver_ihp100_ipod_zen.jpg

That is a picture of the 1st/2nd generation iPod.

The 3rd generation iPods are much smaller.

I'm working on a pic as we speak.

EDIT:

Added Image, see Below

post-55-1075027298.png

Edited by amoeba

Size and style wise, the iPod is superior to the Zen Xtra.

Battery-wise (replaceable) and sound quality, the Zen wins.

The Zen is more suited to "audiophiles", while the iPod is more suited to those who favour looks over functionality.

Size and style wise, the iPod is superior to the Zen Xtra.

Battery-wise (replaceable) and sound quality, the Zen wins.

The Zen is more suited to "audiophiles", while the iPod is more suited to those who favour looks over functionality.

Can you substantiate those claims? I consider myself a casual audiophile and I have an iPod. I love the sound quality.

Regarding battery goes, my batter lasts forever. I've never gotten it past halfway except for when I first got it.

Can you substantiate those claims?  I consider myself a casual audiophile and I have an iPod.  I love the sound quality.

Regarding battery goes, my batter lasts forever.  I've never gotten it past halfway except for when I first got it.

The Zen has a better SNR (Signal to noise ratio) than the ipod. About the battery, he was talking about how long the battery lasts until it becomes unable to charge again (not the time it lasts on one charge if that makes sense?)

The Zen has a better SNR (Signal to noise ratio) than the ipod. About the battery, he was talking about how long the battery lasts until it becomes unable to charge again (not the time it lasts on one charge if that makes sense?)

I wasn't aware of the SNR thing...

Regarding the battery comment I'm entirely sick of the iPod battery replacement stink. I have an iPod and friends with iPods. I have a 1st gen and a few friends have 2nd gens and a few others with 3rd gens. None of them have had problems.

I fail to believe this is such a widespread problem. I might be ignorant but I cannot discount the iPod over what other people complain about.

Yes, lab tests have shown that SNR is better on Zen than iPod - I'm not slating the iPod, they're beautiful things, I'm just stating the facts.

While it may not be a "widespread problem", I'm merely stating that the current generation iPods do not have user-replaceable batteries. This may matter to some people.

I wasn't aware of the SNR thing...

Regarding the battery comment I'm entirely sick of the iPod battery replacement stink. I have an iPod and friends with iPods. I have a 1st gen and a few friends have 2nd gens and a few others with 3rd gens. None of them have had problems.

I fail to believe this is such a widespread problem. I might be ignorant but I cannot discount the iPod over what other people complain about.

It lasts for about 500 charges. Whether you get problems depends entirely on how much you use the player. Examples:

charge every day: lasts approx 500 days

charge every two days: lasts approx 1000 days

charge every 3 days: lasts approx 1500 days

As you can see its only if you use the ipod frequently that it really becomes a big problem

It lasts for about 500 charges. Whether you get problems depends entirely on how much you use the player. Examples:

charge every day: lasts approx 500 days

charge every two days: lasts approx 1000 days

charge every 3 days: lasts approx 1500 days

As you can see its only if you use the ipod frequently that it really becomes a big problem

Are these facts? I'm curious.

What about if you just plug your iPod in all day and unplug it once? Does a charge count when you plug it in?

Are these facts? I'm curious.

What about if you just plug your iPod in all day and unplug it once? Does a charge count when you plug it in?

They figure of 500 is a rough guideline and there is some variation between ipods. It is however definately a fact that lithium batteries last a certain number of charges so the more you charge it the quicker it will die. Not sure about your last couple of questions sorry

Edited by slysy

I also have an iPod 3G. There are many audiophiles that would rank the iPod above the Zen. Check out Head-Fi for more audiophile opinions. It's regarded as the best sounding HD MP3 Player by many people. The only thing hurting it is the lack of a good EQ, but when flat, it sounds gorgeous.

Stereophile Review of iPod

And why shouldn't they be happy? With the iPod, you can have your cake and eat it, too. On the outside, all that the rest of the world will see is that you're one of the iPod-totin' beautiful people; no one will ever know that under those headphones you're listening to monstrously good-sounding, hi-rez digital copies of your favorite demo discs. Baby, you're a rich man!

Personally I think the iriver looks great. Longer battery life, windows explorer integration, excellent remote, cheaper price, supports more file types. Surely its worth considering?

Cheaper price? Same price.

IHP-120 20gig - $400

iPod 20gig - $400

And for filetypes...most of my music are aac..so im fine with that. Others might use ogg though. (iRiver) iPod also shows up as a drive.

But yes, it is worth considering if you really need the battery life and others.

The Zen's screen looks awfully small though, doesn't that hinder its usability a lot?

The Zen would look much better with a larger and "sleeker" screen, especially with its large real estate.

The Zen's screen looks awfully small though, doesn't that hinder its usability a lot?

The Zen would look much better with a larger and "sleeker" screen, especially with its large real estate.

Are you talking about the Zen NX? The Zen Xtra has a bigger and better screen.